New website on CF nutrition and natural health care

Epona

Hey folks. I hope you're well. I just wanted to let you know I have created a new website focused on sharing the science and research behind CF, proper nutrition, and natural health care. I've collected a lot of information on what kinds of foods CFers need and what kinds of foods we must avoid, plus some more in-depth science on how CF works at the cellular level up. I also explain what kinds of nutritional experiments I've been doing and how this has improved my health and quality of life. My goal is to empower CFers to make informed decisions about what we should be allowing into our bodies and how this impacts our health. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Visit: http://cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com

FOOD IS MEDICINE!

Thanks, Mikayla

triples15

Super Moderator
Wow Mikayla! I just briefly perused your site and you have put a lot of work into it. So much information! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do it!

Admittedly, I need to eat a lot better and you have lots of good ideas/tips. The macadamia super shake looks super yummy and I might just have to try it! I love how it is non-dairy, as my daughter has a cow's milk protein intolerance(I breastfeed, so I don't get dairy either :().

Take Care,

Autumn 32 w/CF

Epona

Thanks Autumn! I really hope it can help you out and give you more info on how to use food as medicine. I'm casein intolerant myself too and I suspect that most CFers are sensitive to dairy in one way or another, so it's good you're not on dairy. I understand what it's like to miss dairy though, I used to love cheese. Wonderful you breastfeed though! Let me know if there is any particular question you have and I will research it for you!

Thanks, Mikayla

Tisha

Yay for like-minded people! I´m 33 and I´ve created a Spanish-speaking facebook group about natural treatments (emphasis on essential oils, herbs, etc) for CF. Also covered in my Spanish-speaking blog on treatments I´ve found around the world. Thanks for your time! Greetings from Sweden! (I just moved here)

B

Brinlysmom

I LOVE IT!! THANK YOU!

I am an avid nutritional buff- I follow the SCD lifestyle blog(love it too!), give my 8 year old with CF everything you have suggested in your blog! I am going to test her stomach acid that has been a question in the back of my mind. I took her off prev acid a LONG time ago! I take HCL myself and have seen great results! I spend more money on supplements than doctor visits! And that's a good thing! I am so happy you have put together the insight and resources for a CF'er! It is such a fine line for you guys!! I truly appreciate your website- again THANK YOU!

Keep up the good work and research! I will follow you!

Blythe
Mom to Brinly 8 w/cf

Epona

Awesome Blythe! Thank you so much for your post. How is your daughter doing on the SCD? Has it helped her with any of her symptoms? I am very curious to know. It seems stomach acid is a big issue for so many people, even "healthy" people. Are you on the SCD too? I am so happy the site is helpful to you and your daughter!!!

-Mikayla :)

scarecrow

Looks really good. I didn't have time to read over whole thing but it looks like you have brought together a lot of helpful info into one place. Might be a good website to direct your doctors to.

B

Brinlysmom

Mikayla-

Brinly had a rough time a couple years ago and has a gtube so she does get extra calories from that. That rough time is what opened my eyes to natural options for her and my family. We eat paleo and food combine mostly with lots of high fat from good fats like coconut oil, nuts etc. We had her food allergies tested along with her vitamin levels thru her function medical pediatrician... she is gluten and wheat sensitive so we have taken that out for a year. Now if she has it I give her a king bio gluten/wheat spray to help her process it. HER IMMUNE SYSTEM IS AMAZING!!! If she is around someone that is sick I don't even have to worry!! She never ever gets a cold and is never sick!! It has been a l-o-n-g journey but so worth it!!!! She is going in to 4th grade and is one happy and healthy cf'er!!

Thanks! Blythe
Mom to Brinly 8 w/ cf

Epona

Blythe, what do you put in her g-tube? I am really interested in healthy g-tube recipes, as the pre-packaged stuff is toxic, like ScandiShakes. I am assuming you have some cool paleo g-tube recipes? I would love to share them on my site if you would.

-Mikayla

triples15

Super Moderator
Thanks Autumn! I really hope it can help you out and give you more info on how to use food as medicine. I'm casein intolerant myself too and I suspect that most CFers are sensitive to dairy in one way or another, so it's good you're not on dairy. I understand what it's like to miss dairy though, I used to love cheese. Wonderful you breastfeed though! Let me know if there is any particular question you have and I will research it for you!

Thanks, Mikayla

Thanks Mikayla! Wondering if you have found any decent substitutes for cheese? I have tried tofu cheese slices, but wow, they were inedible. YUCK! I would also really love to find something to substitute in recipes that call for cheese, but I think I'm asking for too much. ;) I have seen shredded cheese substitutes and thought of trying them in my hashbrown casserole, but haven't got up the nerve, so I just go without!

I did, however, find a really yummy non-dairy cream cheese! I was shocked, it actually tastes like cream cheese!

Please let me know if you have any tips! And anyone else also feel free to chime in. :)

Also, our pediatrician has expressed concern about the bioavailability of calcium in almond milk. I told her that it has about twice the calcium as dairy milk, but she that's when she said she still has concerns about the bioavailability. Do you have an opinion on that? I just worry that our daughter (21 months) isn't getting enough calcium.

Thanks,

Autumn 32 w/CF

Simba15

Wow this is awesome. question: was this written for cfer's who need to gain weight or cf'ers in general? I am one of the few that needs to lose weight. most of us diagnosed later in life have this problem. will read it all soon. thanks for sharing.
Hey folks. I hope you're well. I just wanted to let you know I have created a new website focused on sharing the science and research behind CF, proper nutrition, and natural health care. I've collected a lot of information on what kinds of foods CFers need and what kinds of foods we must avoid, plus some more in-depth science on how CF works at the cellular level up. I also explain what kinds of nutritional experiments I've been doing and how this has improved my health and quality of life. My goal is to empower CFers to make informed decisions about what we should be allowing into our bodies and how this impacts our health. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Visit: http://cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com

FOOD IS MEDICINE!

Thanks, Mikayla

Epona

Hey LTA. The site is written for ALL CFers! I just write about weight gain because that's what I'm struggling with right now. But all of my dietary research and recommendations can also be applied to folks who want to lose weight or just maintain the weight they're already at. Just cut back on portion sizes, but the rest of the advice is valid. I pretty much eat "Paleo", and most folks who go on the Paleo diet lose weight (with regular portion sizes). Regardless, good nutrition is going to make you healthier, whether you lose weight or not. Eating well is not just about weight, it's about disease treatment and prevention.

Be well.

-Mikayla

kmhbeauty

Cant wait to read through your whole website! Healthy eating does keep me healthy! Glad you posted this info, more cfers need to have knowledge of a health minded life! Thanks again!

J

JudyB

JudyB

This is a really interesting site, thanks so much for all the work you've done.
I wish you the best health!