Night oxygen or CPAP

Beccamom

Does anyone have sleep apnea?

Before I was diagnosed with CF I was told by a pulmonologist based on a sleep study that I had sleep apnea. I was given CPAP machine because I had many low desats. i could not sleep with the CPAP machine at all. Would night oxygen help?

My CF doctor said I probably don't have sleep apnea because I snore when I breath out not in according my husband. He said snoring when you breathe out is common in CF because you are breathing out moving mucus.

So I am frequently tired and don't feel rested after I sleep. Last night I woke up feeling like I was drowning and coughed a bunch and fealt like mucus in my throat from my sinus drip was so thick it was gluing my throat or lower airway closed. I coughed it out and drank I lot of water and could breath. I fell back asleep.

This morning I am really conjested.

Is the dry heat dehydrating my lungs and making my mucus even thicker. Is it a matter of drinking more water or is there something else I can do? Where I live it is the coldest I can remember and so the heat pump is now on 24 hours a day? Are humidifiers really bad?

Should I ask for another sleep study?

i am a little scared to go to sleep. My husband will be home for one more night and then traveling for work for 8 nights.

I don't feel sick no fever and my normal snot color just lots thicker.

nocode

Hi,

I think night oxygen could help based on the feeling you have that you are "drowning" sometimes when you wake up.
If you can get a sleep study done with your cf team that would be most helpful.
My sleep study indicated that I desat to around 80% at some points during my sleep so I use it. It makes your nose drier and I don't think it helps making the mucus thinner (in my experience) but it does help you getna better night's sleep and feeling more rested. Also, it helps your heart in the long run.

Beccamom

Thank you, for replying. Were you able to do a sleep study at home or did you have to go to a sleep center or hospital. I guess I feel guilty contacting my CF team in the winter when I know there are so many patients so much sicker then me. I will E-mail them and see what they say.

Hi,

I think night oxygen could help based on the feeling you have that you are "drowning" sometimes when you wake up.
If you can get a sleep study done with your cf team that would be most helpful.
My sleep study indicated that I desat to around 80% at some points during my sleep so I use it. It makes your nose drier and I don't think it helps making the mucus thinner (in my experience) but it does help you getna better night's sleep and feeling more rested. Also, it helps your heart in the long run.

iefisherman

I had an overnight o2 sat. test done at home two months ago and having another done this week to see if i'm on enough o2 at night. Just a clamp on my finger for a night (may want to tape it, mine fell off for a few hours last time). My doctor said my results were some of the worst he has ever seen, less than 70% at times and only 2% of my sleep time was above 88%. My oxygen is 92%-95% during the day. The oxygen will dry you out more as well. I talked to my doctor and he recomended humidifying the room. Don't feel bad contacting your cf team, thats what they are there for. I don't know if you have the option but the head nurse at my clinic has e-mail and thats how i usually get ahold of them with non urgent things so they can take care of it when they have time. Good luck with everything :)

nocode

I did the test in the hospital. I tried doing it at home once but would you believe that I was not able to fall asleep with the thing on my finger?

I think it's worth giving them a call!

Just fyi, in the beginning it took me ages to get used to it. I simply did not feel comfortable at all, but now it's second nature. Definitely easier than the cpap, that's for sure (from what I've heard).

SMMC

Hello

I tried a cpap and a bipap, the bipap works great for me. I have energy every day now. :) I use the bipap with my oxygen at night. The bi-pap can be humidified and, it has a higher pressure when you breathe in and a lower pressure when you breathe out. Insurance companies usually give you 30-90 days for a trial period. I used to be on liquid oxygen at night. Even with humidification it still dried out my sinuses. They have different kinds of masks for it too, I use a full face mask most of the time. When my sinuses are too congested I use a mouth mask, both work fine for me. If you have problems trying to get used to it., start wearing it 1 hour a night when watching TV or reading or whatever you can do to relax. Then, build up your time from there. If you have sleep apnea and are desating at night, it will damage your heart and can cause other problems that will shorten your life. Hang in there! I will keep you in my prayers. :)

yassine

For OSA, side sleeping is supposed to be best. For the last several months I've used a Sleep apnea pillow with a cut out I the middle so it gradually fills in against your neck. This has helped with neck issues some as it keeps you sleeping on your back all night, however, it's in contradiction to helping my assumed sleep apnea