?? not seen yet

JazzysMom

One thing that I havent seen addressed, althought I might have missed it, is birth control.

It would seem "obvious" to some that birth control should be practiced especially when your health is progressed enough to consider a tx. BUT I was one that didnt because after 12 years of "no issues" I didnt think it was a worry. SURPRISE....

So do tx teams discuss this? Is it a must or must not? If its discussed are b/c pills a no no because of the hormones which require a different method?

JazzysMom

One thing that I havent seen addressed, althought I might have missed it, is birth control.

It would seem "obvious" to some that birth control should be practiced especially when your health is progressed enough to consider a tx. BUT I was one that didnt because after 12 years of "no issues" I didnt think it was a worry. SURPRISE....

So do tx teams discuss this? Is it a must or must not? If its discussed are b/c pills a no no because of the hormones which require a different method?

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

Breezy

Yes, birth controll is addressed, but all centers are different. My center said to not take birth control pills and instead practice the double barrier method. I will ask them about this whenever i have my next appt. As well, getting pregnant isn't advised but if it happens, they monitor you closely.

I am not sure why exactly they don't want you taking the birth control pill. I have taken in it since I was 18 so....I'm assuming maybe it could have some interactions with anti-rejection drugs maybe?

Anyone else know?

Breezy

Yes, birth controll is addressed, but all centers are different. My center said to not take birth control pills and instead practice the double barrier method. I will ask them about this whenever i have my next appt. As well, getting pregnant isn't advised but if it happens, they monitor you closely.

I am not sure why exactly they don't want you taking the birth control pill. I have taken in it since I was 18 so....I'm assuming maybe it could have some interactions with anti-rejection drugs maybe?

Anyone else know?

Breezy

Anyone else know?

Breezy

Anyone else know?

Breezy

Anyone else know?

coltsfan715

I know for me personally I have taken birth control in some form - be it pill or the patch - since I was 18 almost 19.

I made my center aware when I was first evaluated and nothing was ever mentioned of it. Then post transplant when I was in the hospital, I had someone asked "what is that thing on your butt?" and "can we take it off?" and I replied NO!!!! it is my birth control! My clinic addressed it with me on my first appointment in the office.

My clinic personally wants me and all other female lung transplant patients - of child bearing age - to take b/c in some form. The reason being if you get pregnant post transplant you run over a 50% chance of "losing your graft" within a year or something thing that - which basically means going into rejection or something along those lines.

I personally have taken and will continue to take b/c because I have horrendous cramps and would be homicidal without it, but that is just me. I have NOT been told of any restrictions with my taking b/c or any reactions with my b/c and my other meds.

I am actually going to be looking into changing b/c meds in the coming months and when I asked at my last appointment if there were any that I could NOT take I was told no I am able to take any form of b/c pill/patch or what have you that I would like or that would work best for me and that they just want me on something.

I am sure like most everything opinions and preferences will vary from center to center though. But in regards to reactions I haven't been made aware of any and I am currently take both the post transplant meds and my b/c.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

I know for me personally I have taken birth control in some form - be it pill or the patch - since I was 18 almost 19.

I made my center aware when I was first evaluated and nothing was ever mentioned of it. Then post transplant when I was in the hospital, I had someone asked "what is that thing on your butt?" and "can we take it off?" and I replied NO!!!! it is my birth control! My clinic addressed it with me on my first appointment in the office.

My clinic personally wants me and all other female lung transplant patients - of child bearing age - to take b/c in some form. The reason being if you get pregnant post transplant you run over a 50% chance of "losing your graft" within a year or something thing that - which basically means going into rejection or something along those lines.

I personally have taken and will continue to take b/c because I have horrendous cramps and would be homicidal without it, but that is just me. I have NOT been told of any restrictions with my taking b/c or any reactions with my b/c and my other meds.

I am actually going to be looking into changing b/c meds in the coming months and when I asked at my last appointment if there were any that I could NOT take I was told no I am able to take any form of b/c pill/patch or what have you that I would like or that would work best for me and that they just want me on something.

I am sure like most everything opinions and preferences will vary from center to center though. But in regards to reactions I haven't been made aware of any and I am currently take both the post transplant meds and my b/c.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Love Linds

Liza

Hi, We addressed the BC issue at clinic just this past week. When it was brought up pre-tx they said to wait until after, not wanting to introduce something new at the time of waiting for tx. Last week at Anna's 6 mo. appt. they said, no problem, what kind do you want? Heck if we knew, just wanted to know if it was OK to go on them.

Liza

Hi, We addressed the BC issue at clinic just this past week. When it was brought up pre-tx they said to wait until after, not wanting to introduce something new at the time of waiting for tx. Last week at Anna's 6 mo. appt. they said, no problem, what kind do you want? Heck if we knew, just wanted to know if it was OK to go on them.

Liza

Liza

Liza