Nurse blew out vein... in horrible pain

bloggymom

I went today to have a dye contrast CT scan for my abdomen and pelvis. The nurse went to put in the IV and could not get in in my left arm (my good arm). She moved to my other arm (my bad arm) and she got the IV in and then put in the saline and all of a sudden my arm swelled and I had horrible pain. I rose off the chair and begged her to stop. She removed the IV and the swelling at the site went down. They said I would have to come back and get a PICC just for the CT scan. We left and got some lunch and went to my second doctors appointment. My arm started to hurt something horrible and the pain moved up into my arm pit and into my breast.

I don't know what to do. I am applying heat and it helps the pain.

Help!!! Am I at risk for a blood clot?? The doctor at my second appointment did look at my arm and said he felt a lump where the saline pooled. He thought I would be okay. With all the pain I am just not so sure.

Any advice would be great.

running4life

This happened to me before surgery once but my hand just "blew up" and was really cold and large as was my wrist. I have god veins so I don't know how that correlates to this issue. Also, after the nurse took out the first IV that was wrong, there was still pain but it went away shortly after. I'd go to a doc ASAP.

bloggymom

I seem to be fine. The arm hurt for 24 hours. I have a bruise on my arm and a small knot under the bruise. Luckily I am able to use the arm again and the swelling went down. That was freaky!!!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Ooh, blown veins! We all have been exposed to the minor technical error of a used up vein, minor for them. I am close to needing a picc line but so far it hasn't been an issue. Until very recently, when my BP went all cock-eyed (170/55), I was an easy stick. I hope I understand that your vein blew with the saline and not the dye, people die from that booboo on rare occasions. This is why they go through all the checking to make certain your vein is open for the big putsch of 100cc's worth of dye coming in hot and fast.

Dehydration plays a huge role in how well we take IV's, and give blood. It is really embarrassing to be hooked to a vacuum blood draw and there isn't enough to fill the tube. We really need to be prepared for an IV needle, downing a bottle of water twenty minutes before your stick may help avoid a picc line. The medical staff aren't mind readers, and I generally direct them away from veins that won't work and toward my hands where my veins are undamaged.

The reason our veins feel pain so intensely has to do with the ideal path for large veins, arteries and nerve trunks. They quickly bundle together under the skin and provide an early warning when a vein or artery gets stressed, because the nerves are so close.

Good Luck,

LL

bloggymom

I was not allowed water after i started drinking the contrast. They wanted my insides to glow.

I asked her to try certain spots because nurses have had better luck (upper arms rather than in the crook of my arm) but she assured me she knew what she was doing. So frustrating!!!

I have been a cfer longer than she has been a nurse....

My arms both tingle like nerves are injured.

I am opting for the ultrasound next time... If there is a next time.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
You are a pro! So much the worse with so many previous IVs since you have constant pain along your veins. A few months back I was at an infusion center getting IV antibiotics. My need for them is increasing and I asked the nurse what she thought of IV, picc and port options and how they worked. A port is great if you need one. It is surgically implanted with no external exposure. A needle passes through the skin, through a rubber membrane and dumps into lots of blood volume. Picc lines tie into a large blood vessle but passes through the skin. Oddly the nurse really advocated the more extreme port over the slow damage of multiple IV's, picc lines and picc line issues that just make the inevitable port, a path of misery. It makes me wonder.

Almost any IV fluid in concentration damages veins resulting in neurological pain. Anesthesia given for my wisdom teeth extraction was bungled, essentially pushing a concentrated drug into my vein while forgetting to remove the tourniquet. When I failed to succumb to the anesthesia, only then did they realize my arm was blue. Within a week I had a green/yellow streak going up my arm. The next few weeks, pieces of vein surfaced like sections of broken sewer pipe. Neuopathy that resulted from that stupid mistake lasted six years. Lyrica, a great drug for neuropathy didn't exist and nothing relieved that suffering.

I am curious, do you mean to go ultrasound instead of CT or are they using an ultrasonic vein locator? A month ago I had the same CT, abdomen with and w/o contrast. I lost count at 6 sticks including two that bulged in front of a vein valve. That day I was a wonderful patient, joking and making light of something they feel bad over. Monday I had an MRI, felt like death warmed over and was with and w/o contrast. I have done CTs with my arms over my head and it isn't difficult. Holding my arthritic shoulders over my head, stuffed in a tube for over an hour taxed my patience and pain tolerance. At a rest time I threw all the wedges and pillows out the tube entrance. They weren't helping and were mostly in my way. The quality rating for tests and such includes how good or bad I feel.

I don't mean to underestimate your abilities, but it concerns me that you feel the nurse blew out your vein. Your veins are getting painful and less successful receiving large gauge IV dye needles. If the nurse misses the vein, nearly impossible since they do a check draw, isn't blown by the nurse. Rather the nurse clears the vein with saline in part to discover a bad valve or such. I never mean to imply somebody is unaware of issues endemic to CF. Not everybody can or wishes to be involved with medical treatment details.

Glad you are doing better.

LL

azdesertrat

Oh dammit!
That is no fun at all... I don't think you'll have to worry about a blood clot, but it sure is painful. I've had it happen, twice.
I also had a nurse insert an IV & put radioactive dye in am ARTERY, not a vein. Oh man, you wanna talk about PAIN!
Feel better soon. Sorry you had to go through that.