Nutren supplement

anonymous

My son is 17 months old and is a typical todler. He does not want to eat anything we make for him unless it is under his terms. Mealtime has been a huge struggle and we are afraid he is not getting enough fat and vitamins. We hear about this product called Nutren made by Nestle. It is similat to insure, but is made with MCT fats and CF patients can absorb them easier. I was wondering if anyone has tried this product and if the taste is appealing to children?

HollyCatheryn

I haven't heard of that particular supplement, but I take Reliv and have found it to be very easy to absorb (I don't need enzymes with it). My daughter takes the Kids Now (vanilla) and loves it. She begs for it. She likes the adults' Now also. You can read more about my experience with Reliv at <A href="http://www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama/Reliv">www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama/Reliv</A> and you can read more about Reliv (ingredients, science, patents) at <A href="http://www.reliv.com">www.reliv.com</A>.

anonymous

I would love to hear about Nutren. My son is 5 and he loves Ensure, vanilla straight out of the can. I can always count on it to give him extra calories and nutrients, especially when he dosen't feel like eating. We tried skandishake, but the milk doesn't digest as good. I
ll Look at Reliv as well. What a treat to not need to take enzymes with Reliv that's amazing.

L

luke

Nutren Jr is a good supplement for children, that is what I primarily use for kids at work. It is made by nestle and is marketed as the best tasting supplement on the market. It varies in price depending on the place you by it from. As for comparing it to ensure.. it is probably considered a little better than ensure. I say that only in personal opinion, I do know that the biggest children's hospital in WV uses nutren jr on their kids almost exclusively.

luke

anonymous

We use Nutren 2.0 vanilla flavored we've had good luck with weight gain.But......we use it through night time feedings, therefore he doesn't 'taste' it, personally I find even the smell offensive and so does my son he is 13 I can't imagine how it tastes.

anonymous

Thank you HollyCatheryn for your help. I have ordered Reliv for my son Dylan. I am sure he is going to like it. I have one more question for you. Can you add any flavor to it or is it Vanilla? I can't wait to see the results of the drink. I am so greatful.

Marylou

anonymous

My daughter also used to get Nutren Jr. 1.5 in her night feedings through the g-tube. We were told by everyone at clinic that the taste was not good. My daughter regularly drinks Pediasure everyday and enjoys it. She also gets Duocal powder mixed in to add extra calories.

Maria (mother of three daughters, the youngest, Sami w/cf)

anonymous

Hi, I actually posted about this same topic a couple of days ago. But i have never understood where to buy Duocal and Nutren?? I looked at Walgreens and grocery store but no luck?? Any help??
I am going to buy Reliv as well. I am always looking for high "good" calories for my toodler too. I asked our cf dietian and she had NO suggestions!!

anonymous

I have a 17 month old daughter with CF and was just curious how much your son weighs and what he typically eats in a day? Hayley weighs about 23 pounds (I think, her clinic appt. is next week so I will get an accurate weight on her then). Typically she eats about 3/4 of a 4 oz yogurs and a handful of cherios for breakfast, followed by a 6-8 oz bottle of Enfamil Next Step Formula (but we are stopping the formula this week). She then eats a jar of Stage 2 babyfood (usually sweet potatoes and turkey, apples and chicken or green beans and turkey, to make sure we get some good veggies and protien in her) and what ever her 4 year old brother is eating. She loves fish sticks, french fries, ketchup and ranch dressing, cheese, bread, chips, chicken (either nuggets or grilled chicken cut up), she also loves corn (especially corn on the cob recently), green beans and peas. She will then drink an 8 ounce bottle of whole milk, a 6-8 ounce bottle of whole milk after her nap around 5ish and a snack, graham crackers, cheese, ect. Then whatever we are having for dinner we give her and she drinks a few ounces of milk from a bottle at bedtime. She also gets 6-8 ounces of apple juice or orange juice throughout the day.

Sorry to ramble, but I am curious if people think that is enough food for her age. We are happy with her weight gain and she has not had any problems in that area.

Becky, Mom to Nathan, 4 w/o CF and Hayley, 17 months w/CF

anonymous

Hi,

I use Nutridrink fibre(european version), and i find it great and well tolerated and well absorved.

bye

john81john