O2 sats

nocode

Hello,

I'm in the hospital for a sleep study and my o2 sat has just been measured and it's 92-93% while awake. I'm devastated, as now I'm sure that it's too low and it will lower in my sleep.

Now I have a few questions:

1- will I necessarily need oxygen when flying, if I need it at night?
2- can o2 sats ever improve (via exercise, meds, healthier lifestyle...) or once it goes bad, it never goes back?
3- does this necessarily mean I should list myself for transplant?

My fev1 is 35% and hasn't changed for many years. I've had 2 rounds of IVs in my life.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to ask questions.

nocode

Hello,

I'm in the hospital for a sleep study and my o2 sat has just been measured and it's 92-93% while awake. I'm devastated, as now I'm sure that it's too low and it will lower in my sleep.

Now I have a few questions:

1- will I necessarily need oxygen when flying, if I need it at night?
2- can o2 sats ever improve (via exercise, meds, healthier lifestyle...) or once it goes bad, it never goes back?
3- does this necessarily mean I should list myself for transplant?

My fev1 is 35% and hasn't changed for many years. I've had 2 rounds of IVs in my life.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to ask questions.

Havoc

Well, we need some more information first. 92-93% is on the low end of where I would like to see a patient (in my normal setting of an ambulance). We prefer it above 95%. I probably would not treat a patient with an SpO2 of 92-93% with oxygen unless they were having chest pain or shortness of breath. What will be important is to see where your SpO2 goes during the night.

Yes, exercise can help to improve SpO2. Also some people learn to live with a lower number. I had a patient once who was consistently in the 80's and had absolutely no symptoms.

Try not to worry about all this right now until you get the full sleep study done.

Havoc

Well, we need some more information first. 92-93% is on the low end of where I would like to see a patient (in my normal setting of an ambulance). We prefer it above 95%. I probably would not treat a patient with an SpO2 of 92-93% with oxygen unless they were having chest pain or shortness of breath. What will be important is to see where your SpO2 goes during the night.

Yes, exercise can help to improve SpO2. Also some people learn to live with a lower number. I had a patient once who was consistently in the 80's and had absolutely no symptoms.

Try not to worry about all this right now until you get the full sleep study done.

nocode

Hi Jonathan. These last few weeks have been very tough, between losing my job (my department was made redundant) and now this, so I'm blowing everything out of proportion due to elevated stress levels.

What is SpO2? I assume that 92-93% sats while awake definitely means a drop to below 88% in my sleep, so I'm preparing myself psychologically, trying to kick start the acceptance process.

Also, I am not sure how low the sats have to be to be on day oxygen too, would you have an idea? I just want to inform myself so that I won't be caught off guard with unpleasant surprises.

nocode

Hi Jonathan. These last few weeks have been very tough, between losing my job (my department was made redundant) and now this, so I'm blowing everything out of proportion due to elevated stress levels.

What is SpO2? I assume that 92-93% sats while awake definitely means a drop to below 88% in my sleep, so I'm preparing myself psychologically, trying to kick start the acceptance process.

Also, I am not sure how low the sats have to be to be on day oxygen too, would you have an idea? I just want to inform myself so that I won't be caught off guard with unpleasant surprises.

Havoc

SpO2 is percent of oxygen saturation.. Oxygen sat is the same thing. I have no idea what the threshold for daytime O2 therapy would be. I would think it would need to be below 90%, but I can't say for sure.

Havoc

SpO2 is percent of oxygen saturation.. Oxygen sat is the same thing. I have no idea what the threshold for daytime O2 therapy would be. I would think it would need to be below 90%, but I can't say for sure.

cf4life

If you can, buy an oximeter and check your sats at home doing everyday activities, making dinner, eating, doing you treatments, getting dressed, walking up one flight of stairs, etc. Also check it at different times of the day. You may be higher in the morning and start dropping off later in the day. If you are desating during everyday activities you should talk to your doctor about supplemental oxygen. It might be good to do a 6 min walk test and see if you can complete it without your sats dropping. If you are at 92 at rest you probably need o2 for excercise in the least. There is a chance your 02 may actually go up while you are moving around or doing light excercise, since you maybe breathing deeper. Everyone can be different so do the sleep study, six minute walk, and then take some readings at home throughout the day. If you don't need it you don't want it, but if you do don't put it off.

cf4life

If you can, buy an oximeter and check your sats at home doing everyday activities, making dinner, eating, doing you treatments, getting dressed, walking up one flight of stairs, etc. Also check it at different times of the day. You may be higher in the morning and start dropping off later in the day. If you are desating during everyday activities you should talk to your doctor about supplemental oxygen. It might be good to do a 6 min walk test and see if you can complete it without your sats dropping. If you are at 92 at rest you probably need o2 for excercise in the least. There is a chance your 02 may actually go up while you are moving around or doing light excercise, since you maybe breathing deeper. Everyone can be different so do the sleep study, six minute walk, and then take some readings at home throughout the day. If you don't need it you don't want it, but if you do don't put it off.

mamerth

Get yourself a oximeter!!

I had a similar issue the past few weeks. My doctor and rehab therapist have checked my oxygen at different times of the day and when I am doing different things. I have had readings of 97% all the way to 92%.

Like CF4life said your oxygen levels can go up with activity. I have found this out especially if I am breathing correctly. If I am not breathing correctly or shallowly then my oxygen levels are icky.

Oxygen at night is not so bad. I have been doing it for a couple months now and I have to say 'I LOVE IT". My blood sugars are better and I have more energy during the day. Go for the full night oxygen test and a 6 minute walk test.

Might not hurt to get a blood oxygen test (I think that is what its called). They draw blood while you are doing cardio and sitting still (every 2 minutes or so). I just had it done. I was given the go ahead to do rehab.

Yes!! You can improve your oxygen. I am finding that to be true. After being put on an asthma drug (Serevent) and starting to exercise my oxygen levels have gotten a smidge better (nothing huge but still enough to get excited out).

Can you see a OT and/or PT that specialize in pulmonary conditions?? I highly recommend it.

mamerth

Get yourself a oximeter!!

I had a similar issue the past few weeks. My doctor and rehab therapist have checked my oxygen at different times of the day and when I am doing different things. I have had readings of 97% all the way to 92%.

Like CF4life said your oxygen levels can go up with activity. I have found this out especially if I am breathing correctly. If I am not breathing correctly or shallowly then my oxygen levels are icky.

Oxygen at night is not so bad. I have been doing it for a couple months now and I have to say 'I LOVE IT". My blood sugars are better and I have more energy during the day. Go for the full night oxygen test and a 6 minute walk test.

Might not hurt to get a blood oxygen test (I think that is what its called). They draw blood while you are doing cardio and sitting still (every 2 minutes or so). I just had it done. I was given the go ahead to do rehab.

Yes!! You can improve your oxygen. I am finding that to be true. After being put on an asthma drug (Serevent) and starting to exercise my oxygen levels have gotten a smidge better (nothing huge but still enough to get excited out).

Can you see a OT and/or PT that specialize in pulmonary conditions?? I highly recommend it.

Vaultboy

as some posters before me said: everyone is different. so i wouldnt freak out because of this "low" saturation. you have to remember, that even the o2 saturation of healthy (without cf) people does vary from 100-95%. slowly declining as the body is aging. for older people (like 60,70) it is perfectly fine to only have an o2 saturation around 90%. also when the saturation is slowly dropping, the body can adjust to his situation and learn to live with less o2 in the blood.

so looking at the numbers of your o2sat you should listen to your body. if you still FEEL good. it might not be to dramatic. if your 02sat goes under a certain point, your bodys able to deal with, he will let you feel it by e.g. strange headaches, tiredness, dizziness, concentration problems etc.

anyhow i would agree that you should get a pulseoximeter. you can buy one at amazon for like 30 euro.

ps: when measuring with an oximeter you can easily get wrong data by bright sunlight, shaking your hands to much and simply putting you finger not exactly inside. also you should not only measure for 10 sec but like 1 min because the 02sat is not static and does often get up or down 2-3%.

Vaultboy

as some posters before me said: everyone is different. so i wouldnt freak out because of this "low" saturation. you have to remember, that even the o2 saturation of healthy (without cf) people does vary from 100-95%. slowly declining as the body is aging. for older people (like 60,70) it is perfectly fine to only have an o2 saturation around 90%. also when the saturation is slowly dropping, the body can adjust to his situation and learn to live with less o2 in the blood.

so looking at the numbers of your o2sat you should listen to your body. if you still FEEL good. it might not be to dramatic. if your 02sat goes under a certain point, your bodys able to deal with, he will let you feel it by e.g. strange headaches, tiredness, dizziness, concentration problems etc.

anyhow i would agree that you should get a pulseoximeter. you can buy one at amazon for like 30 euro.

ps: when measuring with an oximeter you can easily get wrong data by bright sunlight, shaking your hands to much and simply putting you finger not exactly inside. also you should not only measure for 10 sec but like 1 min because the 02sat is not static and does often get up or down 2-3%.

kayers3

Insurance wise, I think they look for about 91% while at rest and below 90% during activity, so the six minute walk will help determine what your O2 looks like while you are moving around. (At least those were the numbers we were given to get it covered -- It probably varies to a certain degree.) That being said, you can get used to living on lower numbers. My O2 was in the 80s when I was active. It was doing that for a while, and I didn't really notice anything, except I was coughing a lot. I became rather sick and the doctors saw the actual numbers and put me on O2 full time. My coughing went WAAAAAY down. I didn't realize how tired the lack of O2 was making me until I started using it. I have so much more energy.

Also, you can come off of it. I was on and off O2 for a while. Right now I'm currently on it full time, but I'm working on getting off of it - at least at rest. I can get my numbers up to 96% (off O2 while at rest) if I focus and am aware of my breathing. I'm trying to get up to at least 94% without actively trying to keep it up. Not quite there yet, but two months ago I couldn't go off O2 without dropping to 89/90%

You can have a blood gas done to determine if you need O2 while flying. If your sats are in the lower 90s while at rest, it is likely that O2 for flights is a good plan. I found this out the hard way. I got really sick following a long flight w/out O2. It pretty much jump started a whole slew of problems. Getting O2 for flights can be a HUGE pain and is a bit expensive. So it is something you really need to plan for. Many airlines no longer offer onboard oxygen, but "contract" with a specific company. The most hassle free way is to get your own oxygen company that provides all your O2. (If you need a concentrator for night O2, make sure you go with a company that also provides POCs for flights) You have to let them know a certain amount of time in advance (usually about two weeks) and they will set up everything. My company takes care of the paperwork side of things - I just have to go to their office and pick up the POC.

kayers3

Insurance wise, I think they look for about 91% while at rest and below 90% during activity, so the six minute walk will help determine what your O2 looks like while you are moving around. (At least those were the numbers we were given to get it covered -- It probably varies to a certain degree.) That being said, you can get used to living on lower numbers. My O2 was in the 80s when I was active. It was doing that for a while, and I didn't really notice anything, except I was coughing a lot. I became rather sick and the doctors saw the actual numbers and put me on O2 full time. My coughing went WAAAAAY down. I didn't realize how tired the lack of O2 was making me until I started using it. I have so much more energy.

Also, you can come off of it. I was on and off O2 for a while. Right now I'm currently on it full time, but I'm working on getting off of it - at least at rest. I can get my numbers up to 96% (off O2 while at rest) if I focus and am aware of my breathing. I'm trying to get up to at least 94% without actively trying to keep it up. Not quite there yet, but two months ago I couldn't go off O2 without dropping to 89/90%

You can have a blood gas done to determine if you need O2 while flying. If your sats are in the lower 90s while at rest, it is likely that O2 for flights is a good plan. I found this out the hard way. I got really sick following a long flight w/out O2. It pretty much jump started a whole slew of problems. Getting O2 for flights can be a HUGE pain and is a bit expensive. So it is something you really need to plan for. Many airlines no longer offer onboard oxygen, but "contract" with a specific company. The most hassle free way is to get your own oxygen company that provides all your O2. (If you need a concentrator for night O2, make sure you go with a company that also provides POCs for flights) You have to let them know a certain amount of time in advance (usually about two weeks) and they will set up everything. My company takes care of the paperwork side of things - I just have to go to their office and pick up the POC.

bigstar

I would say DONT PANIC. Calm down. Wait until the study is over. Take the results. Let your doctor evaluate them. You might be worried for no reason. Everyone is different. Each body functions differently. Ask for blood gas. Start exercising. Test again. Do a stress test. You can see how your saturation is during exercise. But i say again dont panic in advance. Take care!

bigstar

I would say DONT PANIC. Calm down. Wait until the study is over. Take the results. Let your doctor evaluate them. You might be worried for no reason. Everyone is different. Each body functions differently. Ask for blood gas. Start exercising. Test again. Do a stress test. You can see how your saturation is during exercise. But i say again dont panic in advance. Take care!

clarereal

<strong>Hi Vera,</strong>

<strong>I am sure you oxy sat will come up. My son's has been as low as 89 during a hospital stay and always comes back up after a round of antibiotics. No need to panic, as I see it. Take care and good luck! ck</strong>

clarereal

<strong>Hi Vera,</strong>

<strong>I am sure you oxy sat will come up. My son's has been as low as 89 during a hospital stay and always comes back up after a round of antibiotics. No need to panic, as I see it. Take care and good luck! ck</strong>