OGTT result questions

jshet

Hi everyone. My son age 17 had his yearly blood work with his OGTT. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if I should have any concerns. They did a three hour test, and did blood draws at the start, at one hour, and then at two hours. His glucose levels all fell within normal range. But his
insulin levels are what concerns me and am wondering if I should be or not.

The results say normal insulin level are 25 and below. His fasting insulin was good, it was 10. At the first hour draw, it was 187. At the second hour draw, it was 32.

Do these numbers mean anything since his glucose levels were ok? The second level of 187 is super high, and the last seems slightly high. I wasn't sure if I should put a call in tomorrow to ask about these, or if it is no big deal.

His Hgb A1C is also normal at 5.0.

Thank you so much in advance. Unfortunately my son has been having a pretty rough year and I just can't help to not be a little worried. Jshet

W

welshwitch

What did his doc say? He passed his glucose test, correct? I've passed my glucose tests so far, but there have been times when my doc has said I'm "pre-diabetic." Can't remember whether that was due to insulin or glucose. Anyway, every time I am just super happy and glad that I passed and try not to worry too much else about it :)

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last summer DS did well on his initial fasting glucose test; however, his levels were high after his 3 hour. We're thinking those levels were high due to him freaking out about needles and stress can raise levels. His doctor is monitoring it with annual testing, feels he'd have other symptoms if it were CFRD. I believe the cff has some comprehensive info regarding testing, blood sugar, etc that could help you.