On a plane with another CF'er....what do you do?

NoExcuses

the more i think about this the more i feel badly for your niece. how old is she? she's probably too young to realize the ramifications of being around another CFer in terms of cross-contamination. she may have bacteria for the rest of her life that she has to battle from being next to you on a plane. sound extreme? examine the CFF's standard of care for patients who spend a few minutes with each other in a waiting room.

don't you feel badly about exposing your niece to your bacteria? especially knowing that she might not fully understand the long term consequences? if i were you that would weight heavily on my heart...

NoExcuses

the more i think about this the more i feel badly for your niece. how old is she? she's probably too young to realize the ramifications of being around another CFer in terms of cross-contamination. she may have bacteria for the rest of her life that she has to battle from being next to you on a plane. sound extreme? examine the CFF's standard of care for patients who spend a few minutes with each other in a waiting room.

don't you feel badly about exposing your niece to your bacteria? especially knowing that she might not fully understand the long term consequences? if i were you that would weight heavily on my heart...

kybert

just wear a mask and sit in a different row. by mask i mean a proper n95 mask, not those flimsy surgical masks. not to protect either of you from each other, but to protect you from the other people on the plane. catch a cold and the holiday is over!

kybert

just wear a mask and sit in a different row. by mask i mean a proper n95 mask, not those flimsy surgical masks. not to protect either of you from each other, but to protect you from the other people on the plane. catch a cold and the holiday is over!

kybert

Jem

Kelly, I know this is a difficult situation that you find yourself in but for me because the air is re-cirulated on a plane distance or a mask is just not enough protection. I would never <b>intentionally</b> go on an airplane knowing that there was another cfer on board, relative or not when it can be avoided. Not only for my protection but for the other person as well. Certainly if siblings have cf (or parent and child) then cross contamination is just something you live with and accept. But when it can be avoided I believe it should be. I hope you and your niece can work out something that will protect both of you.

Jem

Kelly, I know this is a difficult situation that you find yourself in but for me because the air is re-cirulated on a plane distance or a mask is just not enough protection. I would never <b>intentionally</b> go on an airplane knowing that there was another cfer on board, relative or not when it can be avoided. Not only for my protection but for the other person as well. Certainly if siblings have cf (or parent and child) then cross contamination is just something you live with and accept. But when it can be avoided I believe it should be. I hope you and your niece can work out something that will protect both of you.

Jem

dbtoo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>

don't you feel badly about exposing your niece to your bacteria? especially knowing that she might not fully understand the long term consequences? if i were you that would weight heavily on my heart...</end quote></div>

So, how would one explain the <b>FACT </b>that there are quite a number of us <b>OLD </b>CFers, here, who were diagnosed young, sat in waiting rooms with other CFers, set in hospital rooms with other CFers (there wasn't internet back then, so we went and visited each other in our rooms), lived through the period <b>BEFORE </b>the 'rules' (aren't they really guidelines?) about cross contamination were established, and YET we have lived to deal with it? Do we feel badly about exposing <b>ANYBODY </b>to our bacteria. We don't know who's immune system is suppressed and sucseptible to our set of germs/bacteria. Do we wear a mask everywhere we go? Are we to be 'bubble boys' and girls? What about our wonderful doctor's office? Do we really think that the piece of flimsy paper that they have covering only a small percentage of the exam table will actually in any way protect us from previous patients germs? Do they wipe them down with sterilizing solution between patients? <i>I think not! </i>

Kelli - I say, do what your heart tells you to do. If your neice gets sick, it doesn't mean she got it from you! Billions of people have flown on airplanes, billions of people have not gotten sick from flying on airplanes.

IMHO - most disclaimers and guidelines are there to protect someone's collective asses from lawsuits, to make it your responsibility should you choose to use. (Isn't this why drug companies have that extremely tiny print propaganda page that describes what might happen to you if you use their product.)
If the CF center didn't tell you, stay 3 feet away from other CFers, then they would probably be liable should you violate that 3 foot 'rule' (Like actually give somebody a hug), and come down with something. So when you get thrown into that CF overcrowded waiting room - <b>you </b>have to ensure <b>you </b>don't get closer than 3 feet. But what is this 3 feet thing anyway - how far do the droplets fly when a person sneezes?

To further my (not so) humble opinion [as others are also so fond of doing and should be permitted to do so!] - "Take a risk - Live your life to the best of your abilities!"
(Did it just get hot in my kitchen? Turn up the gas baby, we're grillin' now! )

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.coughsafe.com/media.html">If and when you have to sneeze, </a>
Do you do it on your sleeve?
Do you hack into a rag?
Do you cough into a bag?
Do you spew your germs around?
Do they settle to the ground?
Do they fly across the air?
Do I inhale them, then and there?
Or do they lie in wait for touch
And then infect me all to much?
Should I stay inside my room,
To just await my certain doom?
Or can I walk this earth with care,
And live my life without dispair?
I would not, could not, will not wait;
For death is just a certain date,
A date for which I'll show up late!
As such I can - I choose my fate!

dkb - 2/27/2007 Warped, no?

dbtoo

don't you feel badly about exposing your niece to your bacteria? especially knowing that she might not fully understand the long term consequences? if i were you that would weight heavily on my heart...</end quote></div>

So, how would one explain the <b>FACT </b>that there are quite a number of us <b>OLD </b>CFers, here, who were diagnosed young, sat in waiting rooms with other CFers, set in hospital rooms with other CFers (there wasn't internet back then, so we went and visited each other in our rooms), lived through the period <b>BEFORE </b>the 'rules' (aren't they really guidelines?) about cross contamination were established, and YET we have lived to deal with it? Do we feel badly about exposing <b>ANYBODY </b>to our bacteria. We don't know who's immune system is suppressed and sucseptible to our set of germs/bacteria. Do we wear a mask everywhere we go? Are we to be 'bubble boys' and girls? What about our wonderful doctor's office? Do we really think that the piece of flimsy paper that they have covering only a small percentage of the exam table will actually in any way protect us from previous patients germs? Do they wipe them down with sterilizing solution between patients? <i>I think not! </i>

Kelli - I say, do what your heart tells you to do. If your neice gets sick, it doesn't mean she got it from you! Billions of people have flown on airplanes, billions of people have not gotten sick from flying on airplanes.

IMHO - most disclaimers and guidelines are there to protect someone's collective asses from lawsuits, to make it your responsibility should you choose to use. (Isn't this why drug companies have that extremely tiny print propaganda page that describes what might happen to you if you use their product.)
If the CF center didn't tell you, stay 3 feet away from other CFers, then they would probably be liable should you violate that 3 foot 'rule' (Like actually give somebody a hug), and come down with something. So when you get thrown into that CF overcrowded waiting room - <b>you </b>have to ensure <b>you </b>don't get closer than 3 feet. But what is this 3 feet thing anyway - how far do the droplets fly when a person sneezes?

To further my (not so) humble opinion [as others are also so fond of doing and should be permitted to do so!] - "Take a risk - Live your life to the best of your abilities!"

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.coughsafe.com/media.html">If and when you have to sneeze, </a>
Do you hack into a rag?
Do you cough into a bag?

dbtoo

Do you hack into a rag?
Do you cough into a bag?

Emily65Roses

I'm with dbtoo. I was around CF kids the ENTIRE time I was growing up (I was literally a CFF poster child). And you know when the first time I started culturing <b>anything</b> regularly was? When I was 16 and worked in a retirement home (MRSA).

So I say if you're going to put up a big damn fuss about getting the kid sick, worry about keeping her away from old people too.

Emily65Roses

I'm with dbtoo. I was around CF kids the ENTIRE time I was growing up (I was literally a CFF poster child). And you know when the first time I started culturing <b>anything</b> regularly was? When I was 16 and worked in a retirement home (MRSA).

So I say if you're going to put up a big damn fuss about getting the kid sick, worry about keeping her away from old people too.

Emily65Roses

Tess

I agree with Emily65Roses and dbtoo, Many years spent rooming with others, playing at camp, waiting rooms, Not more than 15 or 20 years ago.
Living that way, never stopped for me just because docs say so.

Each person to their own tho, if you are worried I think everyone has given the best precautions that you could take.

Tess

I agree with Emily65Roses and dbtoo, Many years spent rooming with others, playing at camp, waiting rooms, Not more than 15 or 20 years ago.

Each person to their own tho, if you are worried I think everyone has given the best precautions that you could take.

Tess

Scarlett81

I suppose its different for me b/c I have cepacia, but I'd never knowingly go near anyone else with cf. I coulnd't live with myself if they caught my bugs and got worse. And I do have a cousin with cf, and it is hard and has brought uncomfortable situations up. But I've never been near her.
I don't 'judge' anyone else-except if they had cepacia, then I think that is totally wrong-but the point about older cfers and all the time they spent together-well, thats probably at least a small reason why life expectancy was so much shorter back then.
I personally would book another flight, but thats just me. Now if you see her all the time anyhow, wear a mask or do nothing. And, like someone else said-I'd be very concerned about getting the flu right now! So regardless of cross contamination, be careful and wash your hands alot!

Scarlett81

I suppose its different for me b/c I have cepacia, but I'd never knowingly go near anyone else with cf. I coulnd't live with myself if they caught my bugs and got worse. And I do have a cousin with cf, and it is hard and has brought uncomfortable situations up. But I've never been near her.
I don't 'judge' anyone else-except if they had cepacia, then I think that is totally wrong-but the point about older cfers and all the time they spent together-well, thats probably at least a small reason why life expectancy was so much shorter back then.
I personally would book another flight, but thats just me. Now if you see her all the time anyhow, wear a mask or do nothing. And, like someone else said-I'd be very concerned about getting the flu right now! So regardless of cross contamination, be careful and wash your hands alot!

Scarlett81