On medicine for reflux but don't have reflux?

Faust

I used to take prevacid due to my enzymes apparently not working like they used to. Little did I know it was probably due to me being on lipram (the generic for ultrase) and those often didn't work at all. But now that i'm vegetarian, I am extremely regular with only very rare occurances of oil.

Faust

I used to take prevacid due to my enzymes apparently not working like they used to. Little did I know it was probably due to me being on lipram (the generic for ultrase) and those often didn't work at all. But now that i'm vegetarian, I am extremely regular with only very rare occurances of oil.

Faust

Faust

Faust

<br />
<br />

shamrock

Aren't people with CF suseptible to 'silent reflux' whereby they can suffer whilst asleep? Or is that just CF/Post Tx-ers?

shamrock

Aren't people with CF suseptible to 'silent reflux' whereby they can suffer whilst asleep? Or is that just CF/Post Tx-ers?

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

Skye

IMHO reflux can cause silent and slow destruction of the lungs. It is beoming standard for young CFers to undergo Nissan Fundo to prevent a lifetime of reflux that causes mild sometimes not even noticeable flare-ups. I think we all need to be better educated about this danger and I think all should be on a reflux med.

Skye

IMHO reflux can cause silent and slow destruction of the lungs. It is beoming standard for young CFers to undergo Nissan Fundo to prevent a lifetime of reflux that causes mild sometimes not even noticeable flare-ups. I think we all need to be better educated about this danger and I think all should be on a reflux med.

Skye

Skye

Skye

lightNlife

Skye is right. There is a type of reflux called "silent reflux" sometimes babies get it.

Jfarel is correct as well that the reflux meds can help with digestion. What happens in people with CF is that our gallbladders are exceptionally small (many in fact have atrophied) and as a result we cannot properly regulate the bile that comes into our stomach from the liver and stuff. When the acid gets into our stomachs, it is too strong for our enzyme supplements to withstand. Our enzymes are supposed to be absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach. That's because the small intestine is where the nutrients are absorbed.

Long story short, acid reflux meds cuts down on the acid in our stomachs and gives us a better shot at absorbing not only our enzyme supplements, but the vitamins and minerals from our foods.

I used to think "why bother taking this? I don't have reflux!" but since I've been taking it over the last year, my weight and absorption has improved DRAMATICALLY.

lightNlife

Skye is right. There is a type of reflux called "silent reflux" sometimes babies get it.

Jfarel is correct as well that the reflux meds can help with digestion. What happens in people with CF is that our gallbladders are exceptionally small (many in fact have atrophied) and as a result we cannot properly regulate the bile that comes into our stomach from the liver and stuff. When the acid gets into our stomachs, it is too strong for our enzyme supplements to withstand. Our enzymes are supposed to be absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach. That's because the small intestine is where the nutrients are absorbed.

Long story short, acid reflux meds cuts down on the acid in our stomachs and gives us a better shot at absorbing not only our enzyme supplements, but the vitamins and minerals from our foods.

I used to think "why bother taking this? I don't have reflux!" but since I've been taking it over the last year, my weight and absorption has improved DRAMATICALLY.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

<br />
<br />Jfarel is correct as well that the reflux meds can help with digestion. What happens in people with CF is that our gallbladders are exceptionally small (many in fact have atrophied) and as a result we cannot properly regulate the bile that comes into our stomach from the liver and stuff. When the acid gets into our stomachs, it is too strong for our enzyme supplements to withstand. Our enzymes are supposed to be absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach. That's because the small intestine is where the nutrients are absorbed.
<br />
<br />Long story short, acid reflux meds cuts down on the acid in our stomachs and gives us a better shot at absorbing not only our enzyme supplements, but the vitamins and minerals from our foods.
<br />
<br />I used to think "why bother taking this? I don't have reflux!" but since I've been taking it over the last year, my weight and absorption has improved DRAMATICALLY.
<br />
<br />