On medicine for reflux but don't have reflux?

coltsfan715

I was put on reflux meds before my transplant and I argued that I did not need them. I took them anyway and realized that I DID need them.I had signs of reflux that to me were related to CF not reflux and I just overlooked them.

Before my transplant Zantac was enough to help me out but now post transplant I have switched to Prevacid because I just wanted a little bit more protection in that area.

I was also told pre transplant that sometimes as we get "sicker" or worse health wise (not that you are getting that way - just putting it out there) that sometimes reflux becomes more of a problem. Our coughing can worsen it. The doc basically explained it to me by saying that when we cough we are forcing the air up. We tighten our stomach muscles forcing air from our stomach to come up - that hard puff of air that comes from our coughnig can loosen or weaken the little "lid" that is supposed to cover the esophagus making it kind of flimsy. When it makes it flimsy we are more likely to get reflux when we lie down or just on a regular basis.

Hope that you do notice some change with the meds even thought right now you feel they are not needed.

Linds

coltsfan715

I was put on reflux meds before my transplant and I argued that I did not need them. I took them anyway and realized that I DID need them.I had signs of reflux that to me were related to CF not reflux and I just overlooked them.

Before my transplant Zantac was enough to help me out but now post transplant I have switched to Prevacid because I just wanted a little bit more protection in that area.

I was also told pre transplant that sometimes as we get "sicker" or worse health wise (not that you are getting that way - just putting it out there) that sometimes reflux becomes more of a problem. Our coughing can worsen it. The doc basically explained it to me by saying that when we cough we are forcing the air up. We tighten our stomach muscles forcing air from our stomach to come up - that hard puff of air that comes from our coughnig can loosen or weaken the little "lid" that is supposed to cover the esophagus making it kind of flimsy. When it makes it flimsy we are more likely to get reflux when we lie down or just on a regular basis.

Hope that you do notice some change with the meds even thought right now you feel they are not needed.

Linds

coltsfan715

Linds

coltsfan715

Linds

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />Before my transplant Zantac was enough to help me out but now post transplant I have switched to Prevacid because I just wanted a little bit more protection in that area.
<br />
<br />I was also told pre transplant that sometimes as we get "sicker" or worse health wise (not that you are getting that way - just putting it out there) that sometimes reflux becomes more of a problem. Our coughing can worsen it. The doc basically explained it to me by saying that when we cough we are forcing the air up. We tighten our stomach muscles forcing air from our stomach to come up - that hard puff of air that comes from our coughnig can loosen or weaken the little "lid" that is supposed to cover the esophagus making it kind of flimsy. When it makes it flimsy we are more likely to get reflux when we lie down or just on a regular basis.
<br />
<br />Hope that you do notice some change with the meds even thought right now you feel they are not needed.
<br />
<br />Linds

Faust

That's all fine and good, and it makes sense. But what about diet change? I used to eat all kinds of fatty/greasy crap...Greasy chicken wings, all you can eat BBQ at sonny's, etc etc. Even while on prevacid and the good enzymes (ultrase) I still had bouts of horrible explosive booty oil. Since changing my diet to plant based and doing it properly, the only times I get very rare booty oil is when I space out my enzymes way apart and I eat something like cheese pizza (not that often). My bowel movements have greatly improved. No longer do I have painful movements due to bulky size, and as I said, the oil problems have nearly gone away.

Faust

That's all fine and good, and it makes sense. But what about diet change? I used to eat all kinds of fatty/greasy crap...Greasy chicken wings, all you can eat BBQ at sonny's, etc etc. Even while on prevacid and the good enzymes (ultrase) I still had bouts of horrible explosive booty oil. Since changing my diet to plant based and doing it properly, the only times I get very rare booty oil is when I space out my enzymes way apart and I eat something like cheese pizza (not that often). My bowel movements have greatly improved. No longer do I have painful movements due to bulky size, and as I said, the oil problems have nearly gone away.

Faust

Faust

Faust

<br />
<br />

Faust

BTW turmeric is a natural and time tested highly effective antacid. It has been prescribed in India for that purpose for a very long time. I know it works, because I do know that our bodies are highly acidic, and I have been off prevacid for a long time. Doing things on an empty stomache without having taken supplements in the day can still occasionally make me feel the acid. I went out drinking and bowling tonight somewhat on an empty stomache. I got home and felt the harshest reflux in a long time. I hadn't taken my supplements yet, and was close to puking not to being drunk, but due to the warm saliva action from the acidity in my throat/stomache.

I went to make a sandwich, but before I took anything, I took my tumeric and vitamin K and it was nearly instantly gone. I'm not against prescription medication, but they do have side effects. If you can use something with benefits that is effective, over prescription medication, why not? Also, an 8 ounce glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it does wonders.

Faust

BTW turmeric is a natural and time tested highly effective antacid. It has been prescribed in India for that purpose for a very long time. I know it works, because I do know that our bodies are highly acidic, and I have been off prevacid for a long time. Doing things on an empty stomache without having taken supplements in the day can still occasionally make me feel the acid. I went out drinking and bowling tonight somewhat on an empty stomache. I got home and felt the harshest reflux in a long time. I hadn't taken my supplements yet, and was close to puking not to being drunk, but due to the warm saliva action from the acidity in my throat/stomache.

I went to make a sandwich, but before I took anything, I took my tumeric and vitamin K and it was nearly instantly gone. I'm not against prescription medication, but they do have side effects. If you can use something with benefits that is effective, over prescription medication, why not? Also, an 8 ounce glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it does wonders.

Faust

Faust

Faust

<br />
<br />I went to make a sandwich, but before I took anything, I took my tumeric and vitamin K and it was nearly instantly gone. I'm not against prescription medication, but they do have side effects. If you can use something with benefits that is effective, over prescription medication, why not? Also, an 8 ounce glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it does wonders.
<br />
<br />