Ontario Trillium Drug Program

Daverog75

Hello,

Just wondering if there are any people from Ontario on the Trillium Drug program? I am on the transplant list and will have my surgery in Toronto. I have an identical twin brother who had a transplant over 4 years and I saw what he went through with the side effects of Cyclosporin. Luckily for him his employer had a drug plan and after 6 months he switched to Tacrolimus. I don't have a drug and Tac is very expensive. just if anybody is using trillium and how long does it usually take to get reimbursed.

Dave,

cftransplant

Can't answer the question, but Tacrolimus in the states is declining in price with the generic drug companies. "Dr. Ready" from India makes the drug. I have been forced to use the drug from three importers due to the lower cost to the drug plans. Trillium may pick it up, as the drug cost is reduced.

CF TX 63 cepacia 13 years out

Daverog75

it will have to come in price a lot for it to be affordable. Not sure what it costs in the US but in Canada it's almost $2000 dollars a month.

Dave

cftransplant

In the past my bill was $2,000 per month. With the generic, it is $1,616 for three months (obviously my dose, twice a day, total of 720 1mg caps). Perhaps the generic will be covered going forward. Hope this helps.

Daverog75

Hey cftransplant,

I assume you are talking about generic Prograf (tacrolimus)? if so did you notice any different side effects when you switched to the generic.
I am in Canada and my brother had his transplant 4 years a go and we just received something in the mail stating that Canada will be switching to the generic shortly and he wanted to know if the side effects are different.

Dave 38 w/cf

cftransplant

Prograff (tacrolimus)

Ask your TX coordinator (have your brother do this) on the med change. I was forced to change the mfg., as a result I had to check my blood level (trough) after 4-5 days. Each time they go with a new (cheaper drug/different company), I go in for a blood draw to check the levels. Some end up with a slightly higher dose needed, a few with a smaller dose. Mine is about the same, slightly down (tacro. level) but within theraputic range.

No noted side effects from the generic for tacro. Cap size is larger, perhaps the floor sweepings. All seem to be from third world mfgs. Still alive so they must be working. One CF woman (9 years out), had to add a cap a day to get the same blood level so the
ability to absorb may be different. My doctors did not want the switch, but the insurance demanded the change.

Tell your brother to keep on going, only a minor blip as he continues to live.

CF TX 63 cepacia 13 years out