OPEN QUESTION: Doctor's office / hospital patient experience

mcelwesa

Hi there - I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas about how their doctor's office / hospital could improve patient experience. Anything from (safe, protected) communication between patients, to treatment manner / mechanism. Basically this is an open forum to voice your complaints and wishes and to see if there are any cool ideas that I might be able to bring to life to enhance the patient experience for people with CF, as I am currently in a position to do so. Thanks guys!

brendacof

My sons clinic have very strict rules with the cfers. We are sent our own stethoscope, masks, wipes that we bring with. My son wears his make once we get into the building till we leave. Also while in clinic the employees, doctors, nurses, resp therapist, ect; where mask gloves and gowns to help prevent the spread of these bugs. Also the y no longer allow the cf kids to get toys, so we bring our own. I don't know if this helps or not but it seems it has helped. Good luck!

kenna2

With being in the hospital for weeks at a time and my family not able to visit me everyday and bring me real food, it would be nice if there was a way we could make our own food in our rooms when we get sick of the hospital food. Like a microwave in our rooms would be nice. I know lots of us visit the store before hand when we know we are being admitted. With a lot of hospitals not letting us CF patients leave our rooms to reduce the risk of cross contamination, our opportunities to visit the patient kitchen to use the microwave is no longer an option.

DanfromIL

A few ideas

With being in the hospital for weeks at a time and my family not able to visit me everyday and bring me real food, it would be nice if there was a way we could make our own food in our rooms when we get sick of the hospital food. Like a microwave in our rooms would be nice. I know lots of us visit the store before hand when we know we are being admitted. With a lot of hospitals not letting us CF patients leave our rooms to reduce the risk of cross contamination, our opportunities to visit the patient kitchen to use the microwave is no longer an option.

1. The first time I ever was in the hospital for a tune-up I brought in an extra lamp, because it seems to me that the lighting in most hospital rooms is just bright enough to be depressing. So the extra light helped keep my mood up.

2. I have also had a habit of bringing in my music with me. Back in the day, that meant a CD player, but now a tablet or a phone loaded with your music will do the trick. Again, this helps keep my mood up.

3. Bring in a computer or a streaming device (like a Roku). If you have a Netflix account, you can watch your favorite movies and TV while your in solitary. :) Just be sure you remember to bring the electrical cord and possibly a CAT5 cable to plug into your TV (and if a device like Roku, the remote control).

4. Finally, be bold and get yourself a cheap microwave and bring it in with you. The microwave will probably cost less than $50. And once you have brought it into your room, the hospital will more than likely let you use it. Don't ask first. Just bring it with you and assume you can use it. If necessary, enlist the help of your doc or CF nurse. They are usually pretty compassionate about such things. They may have a mechanic come up and inspect that it is a safe (UL-listed) microwave, but that's not a big deal. Blessings, Dan