Opinions wanted

luv2run

Ok, I've been going to a regular pulmonologist (5 years)who has a handful (10-15ish) of patients with cf. He seems up to date on all the new stuff, etc. I go every 6months to 1year. When I go, it's torture. He tries to play "psycologist" and tells me that I need to "embrace cf and accept it as part of me, blah, blah, blah." He spends so much time on this yet, he only orders me to have PFT's done once in awhile (like it's been well over a year since my last one.) He also seems to focus on Xrays way, way, way more than PFT's. Ok, so does this seem right or normal? There is more that I don't like about him, but what are your appts like? I just joined you'all today -Thank you.

luci

luv2run

Ok, I've been going to a regular pulmonologist (5 years)who has a handful (10-15ish) of patients with cf. He seems up to date on all the new stuff, etc. I go every 6months to 1year. When I go, it's torture. He tries to play "psycologist" and tells me that I need to "embrace cf and accept it as part of me, blah, blah, blah." He spends so much time on this yet, he only orders me to have PFT's done once in awhile (like it's been well over a year since my last one.) He also seems to focus on Xrays way, way, way more than PFT's. Ok, so does this seem right or normal? There is more that I don't like about him, but what are your appts like? I just joined you'all today -Thank you.

luci

luv2run

luci

luv2run

luci

luv2run

<br />Ok, I've been going to a regular pulmonologist (5 years)who has a handful (10-15ish) of patients with cf. He seems up to date on all the new stuff, etc. I go every 6months to 1year. When I go, it's torture. He tries to play "psycologist" and tells me that I need to "embrace cf and accept it as part of me, blah, blah, blah." He spends so much time on this yet, he only orders me to have PFT's done once in awhile (like it's been well over a year since my last one.) He also seems to focus on Xrays way, way, way more than PFT's. Ok, so does this seem right or normal? There is more that I don't like about him, but what are your appts like? I just joined you'all today -Thank you.
<br />
<br />luci

Scarlett81

hmm, its so hard to say whether or not someone should switch or not. but remember it never hurts to just get a second opinion. u can make an appt w a cf center just to see what they'd have to say to you, what they'd do differetly. if you get a good vibe from them, then switching might be good. if not, you don't have to commit to a change.
a good indicator of deciding whether or not to switch is asking- how do u feel? do u think u could be doing better? are u worried for your health or future? if u are and don't feel like he is adressing it, then it is good to change. he may be a good doc, just not right for you.

as far as my appts, basically they go like this. i go every 2 mons. i have my vital signs taken, they esp look at my weight and what i'm eating ect. then i go to have bloodwork taken, xrays taken, sputum culture done. then they do pfts. pfts are KEY. if i could only have one test done it would be pfts. then i meet with a social worker who will adress any issues i am having as far as emotional issues, financial or lifestyle. then i meet w the doctor.

Scarlett81

hmm, its so hard to say whether or not someone should switch or not. but remember it never hurts to just get a second opinion. u can make an appt w a cf center just to see what they'd have to say to you, what they'd do differetly. if you get a good vibe from them, then switching might be good. if not, you don't have to commit to a change.
a good indicator of deciding whether or not to switch is asking- how do u feel? do u think u could be doing better? are u worried for your health or future? if u are and don't feel like he is adressing it, then it is good to change. he may be a good doc, just not right for you.

as far as my appts, basically they go like this. i go every 2 mons. i have my vital signs taken, they esp look at my weight and what i'm eating ect. then i go to have bloodwork taken, xrays taken, sputum culture done. then they do pfts. pfts are KEY. if i could only have one test done it would be pfts. then i meet with a social worker who will adress any issues i am having as far as emotional issues, financial or lifestyle. then i meet w the doctor.

Scarlett81

Scarlett81

Scarlett81

<br />a good indicator of deciding whether or not to switch is asking- how do u feel? do u think u could be doing better? are u worried for your health or future? if u are and don't feel like he is adressing it, then it is good to change. he may be a good doc, just not right for you.
<br />
<br />as far as my appts, basically they go like this. i go every 2 mons. i have my vital signs taken, they esp look at my weight and what i'm eating ect. then i go to have bloodwork taken, xrays taken, sputum culture done. then they do pfts. pfts are KEY. if i could only have one test done it would be pfts. then i meet with a social worker who will adress any issues i am having as far as emotional issues, financial or lifestyle. then i meet w the doctor.

luv2run

Thank you Scarlett. Wow - your appts are way different than mine. I haven't had bloodwork done in 5 years! I think I'm gonna check out another dr - I feel like I'm shopping for a new car!!! Haha

luv2run

Thank you Scarlett. Wow - your appts are way different than mine. I haven't had bloodwork done in 5 years! I think I'm gonna check out another dr - I feel like I'm shopping for a new car!!! Haha

luv2run

luv2run

luv2run

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is 5 and goes to his CF doctor in the City twice a year and his peds doctor -- who is the head of the CF clinic twice a year in town. Once a year he gets bloodwork done -- vitamin levels, liver function, hemglobin, also Xrays, he has gotten a CT scan... At all 4 appointments he gets a throat/sputum culture done to see what CF bugs he's growing.

IMO, I'd be concerned with the lack of labs being done. I would hope they'd be doing regular sputum cultures.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is 5 and goes to his CF doctor in the City twice a year and his peds doctor -- who is the head of the CF clinic twice a year in town. Once a year he gets bloodwork done -- vitamin levels, liver function, hemglobin, also Xrays, he has gotten a CT scan... At all 4 appointments he gets a throat/sputum culture done to see what CF bugs he's growing.

IMO, I'd be concerned with the lack of labs being done. I would hope they'd be doing regular sputum cultures.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />IMO, I'd be concerned with the lack of labs being done. I would hope they'd be doing regular sputum cultures.