Ordering regulated Probiotics & other supplements outside US?

erock77

So I need to take probiotics, I'm on a lot of antibiotics right now, but more importantly it helps prevent hemoptysis (bleeding) by improving the absorption of vitamin k.

So supplements such as these are unregulated in the US but I saw a post recently about ordering supplements from canada or Europe b/c they do regulate. I'm looking for a dependable probiotic capsule solution so I know what I'm getting.

Any experience w/ int'l supplements? What do you recommend?

Eric

erock77

So I need to take probiotics, I'm on a lot of antibiotics right now, but more importantly it helps prevent hemoptysis (bleeding) by improving the absorption of vitamin k.

So supplements such as these are unregulated in the US but I saw a post recently about ordering supplements from canada or Europe b/c they do regulate. I'm looking for a dependable probiotic capsule solution so I know what I'm getting.

Eric

erock77

Eric

erock77

Eric

erock77

<br />
<br />So supplements such as these are unregulated in the US but I saw a post recently about ordering supplements from canada or Europe b/c they do regulate. I'm looking for a dependable probiotic capsule solution so I know what I'm getting.
<br />
<br />Any experience w/ int'l supplements? What do you recommend?
<br />
<br />Eric

Nightwriter

Hi Eric,

I think you are smart to inquire about a superior quality probiotic. There have been reports in the news about probiotics being contaminated. My doctor recommends looking for a multi-strain, refrigerated, independently tested probiotic with above 25 Billion CFUs. You can check out one that I found on line called Nature's Way Primodophilus Optima that meets these requirements. You can find it discounted online for half price. It was tested by Consumer Labs, an independent testing company. There are other brands like this as well.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Probiotic_Supplements_Including_Lactobacillus_acidophilus_Bifidobacterium_and_Others/probiotics/
">http://www.consumerlab.com/rev...ers/probiotics/
</a>

Make sure you scroll all the way down the page. You do not have to join the site.

Nightwriter

Hi Eric,

I think you are smart to inquire about a superior quality probiotic. There have been reports in the news about probiotics being contaminated. My doctor recommends looking for a multi-strain, refrigerated, independently tested probiotic with above 25 Billion CFUs. You can check out one that I found on line called Nature's Way Primodophilus Optima that meets these requirements. You can find it discounted online for half price. It was tested by Consumer Labs, an independent testing company. There are other brands like this as well.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Probiotic_Supplements_Including_Lactobacillus_acidophilus_Bifidobacterium_and_Others/probiotics/
</a>

Make sure you scroll all the way down the page. You do not have to join the site.

Nightwriter

Hi Eric,

</a>

Nightwriter

Hi Eric,

</a>

Nightwriter

Hi Eric,
<br />
<br />I think you are smart to inquire about a superior quality probiotic. There have been reports in the news about probiotics being contaminated. My doctor recommends looking for a multi-strain, refrigerated, independently tested probiotic with above 25 Billion CFUs. You can check out one that I found on line called Nature's Way Primodophilus Optima that meets these requirements. You can find it discounted online for half price. It was tested by Consumer Labs, an independent testing company. There are other brands like this as well.
<br /> <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Probiotic_Supplements_Including_Lactobacillus_acidophilus_Bifidobacterium_and_Others/probiotics/
<br />">http://www.consumerlab.com/rev...ers/probiotics/
<br /></a>
<br />
<br />Make sure you scroll all the way down the page. You do not have to join the site.
<br />
<br />

Crazyangel

Nightwriter,
<br />
<br />i take Vitacosts NSI 15-35 probiotic
<br />
<br />it has 15 strains and has 35 billion CFU's
<br />
<br />is NSI a trusted company?

Nightwriter

I love Vitacost and their NSI brand. I am afraid to even mention it any more because the last time I mentioned what I take, apparently there was suddenly a run on the products and I couldn't get what I needed. Uh, oh. I did it again, lol.

Vitacost tests well in independent testing by Consumer Labs. I don't know if they tested this probiotic. I was reading that someone tested the simialr product Nature's Way Promadophilis Optima by making yogurt out of it. It made yogurt in 24 hours and they claimed most brands took 48 hours. This is hardly scientific, but interesting nevertheless.

I have taken NSI's 10 strain, 20 billion one and I can tell you that this or any other brand with the lower amount doesn't work for me. The lower amount has no effect on the candida that I get sometimes. But the probiotic with more strains and that have 25 to 35 billion microrganisms has worked for me where I don't have to take anti-fungal medications for candida. I am not talking about fungal infections in the lungs - so no one should think that this replaces your medications.

While it it is true that the FDA doesn't regulate supplements, there is regulation in the U.S if you want to be assured of the quality. You can buy supplements that are a pharmaceutical grade. You can buy supplements that are assured by the U.S.P. (United States Pharmacopeia) that is a recognized authority for quality control for prescription AND OTC supplements that are manufactured in the U.S. and also recognized by 130 countries. Vitamins that are under their regulation are labeled as such.

When it comes to buying any supplement, my doctor says pharmaceutical grade is best, or to only buy supplements that are tested by independent labs to assure quality. My standards are not as high as my doctor, because I take so many supplements, the price would be exorbitant. But I do check with Consumer Labs and Consumer Reports. The only pharmaceutical grade supplement that I do take is the probiotic and I get it from my doctor. The Natures Way Primadophilis Optima have the same ingredients and I wouldn't be surprised if they are from the same lab. And I think the NSI one has all the same ingredients too so I wonder if this is from the same manufacturer too.

My only question is I think that both Optima and NSI are shipped unrefrigerated and the bottles say refrigerate after opening. I wonder if the Optima is kept in the refrigerator at health food stores and whether this is better. I suppose I should call the companies and ask them.

So anyway, I believe they are a reputable company. I have had good results from their supplements and their products have done well in independent testing.

Nightwriter

I love Vitacost and their NSI brand. I am afraid to even mention it any more because the last time I mentioned what I take, apparently there was suddenly a run on the products and I couldn't get what I needed. Uh, oh. I did it again, lol.

Vitacost tests well in independent testing by Consumer Labs. I don't know if they tested this probiotic. I was reading that someone tested the simialr product Nature's Way Promadophilis Optima by making yogurt out of it. It made yogurt in 24 hours and they claimed most brands took 48 hours. This is hardly scientific, but interesting nevertheless.

I have taken NSI's 10 strain, 20 billion one and I can tell you that this or any other brand with the lower amount doesn't work for me. The lower amount has no effect on the candida that I get sometimes. But the probiotic with more strains and that have 25 to 35 billion microrganisms has worked for me where I don't have to take anti-fungal medications for candida. I am not talking about fungal infections in the lungs - so no one should think that this replaces your medications.

While it it is true that the FDA doesn't regulate supplements, there is regulation in the U.S if you want to be assured of the quality. You can buy supplements that are a pharmaceutical grade. You can buy supplements that are assured by the U.S.P. (United States Pharmacopeia) that is a recognized authority for quality control for prescription AND OTC supplements that are manufactured in the U.S. and also recognized by 130 countries. Vitamins that are under their regulation are labeled as such.

When it comes to buying any supplement, my doctor says pharmaceutical grade is best, or to only buy supplements that are tested by independent labs to assure quality. My standards are not as high as my doctor, because I take so many supplements, the price would be exorbitant. But I do check with Consumer Labs and Consumer Reports. The only pharmaceutical grade supplement that I do take is the probiotic and I get it from my doctor. The Natures Way Primadophilis Optima have the same ingredients and I wouldn't be surprised if they are from the same lab. And I think the NSI one has all the same ingredients too so I wonder if this is from the same manufacturer too.

My only question is I think that both Optima and NSI are shipped unrefrigerated and the bottles say refrigerate after opening. I wonder if the Optima is kept in the refrigerator at health food stores and whether this is better. I suppose I should call the companies and ask them.

So anyway, I believe they are a reputable company. I have had good results from their supplements and their products have done well in independent testing.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />Vitacost tests well in independent testing by Consumer Labs. I don't know if they tested this probiotic. I was reading that someone tested the simialr product Nature's Way Promadophilis Optima by making yogurt out of it. It made yogurt in 24 hours and they claimed most brands took 48 hours. This is hardly scientific, but interesting nevertheless.
<br />
<br />I have taken NSI's 10 strain, 20 billion one and I can tell you that this or any other brand with the lower amount doesn't work for me. The lower amount has no effect on the candida that I get sometimes. But the probiotic with more strains and that have 25 to 35 billion microrganisms has worked for me where I don't have to take anti-fungal medications for candida. I am not talking about fungal infections in the lungs - so no one should think that this replaces your medications.
<br />
<br />While it it is true that the FDA doesn't regulate supplements, there is regulation in the U.S if you want to be assured of the quality. You can buy supplements that are a pharmaceutical grade. You can buy supplements that are assured by the U.S.P. (United States Pharmacopeia) that is a recognized authority for quality control for prescription AND OTC supplements that are manufactured in the U.S. and also recognized by 130 countries. Vitamins that are under their regulation are labeled as such.
<br />
<br />When it comes to buying any supplement, my doctor says pharmaceutical grade is best, or to only buy supplements that are tested by independent labs to assure quality. My standards are not as high as my doctor, because I take so many supplements, the price would be exorbitant. But I do check with Consumer Labs and Consumer Reports. The only pharmaceutical grade supplement that I do take is the probiotic and I get it from my doctor. The Natures Way Primadophilis Optima have the same ingredients and I wouldn't be surprised if they are from the same lab. And I think the NSI one has all the same ingredients too so I wonder if this is from the same manufacturer too.
<br />
<br />My only question is I think that both Optima and NSI are shipped unrefrigerated and the bottles say refrigerate after opening. I wonder if the Optima is kept in the refrigerator at health food stores and whether this is better. I suppose I should call the companies and ask them.
<br />
<br />So anyway, I believe they are a reputable company. I have had good results from their supplements and their products have done well in independent testing.
<br />
<br />
<br />