Orgasms...

LouLou

You've got to be kidding me!
Are or did any of you hear this from your doctor?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.pregnancy-info.net/sex_orgasm.html
">http://www.pregnancy-info.net/sex_orgasm.html
</a>
I'm going on the opinion that it's internet garbage for now but thought I'd share.

LouLou

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.pregnancy-info.net/sex_orgasm.html
</a>
I'm going on the opinion that it's internet garbage for now but thought I'd share.

LouLou

</a>

Scarlett81

I had never heard of this until I read that link, which was interesing by the way. I'm a little skeptical, although it does make sense to me that it could increase the chance of preterm if you are at risk for it, which supposedly all cf moms are.
The thing that gets me is, I have heard SO many docs tell women that are overdue to go home and have tons of sex to help get the baby going....hmmm.
I'm going to check this one with my OB tommorrow! I'll let you know what her opinion is.

Scarlett81

I had never heard of this until I read that link, which was interesing by the way. I'm a little skeptical, although it does make sense to me that it could increase the chance of preterm if you are at risk for it, which supposedly all cf moms are.
The thing that gets me is, I have heard SO many docs tell women that are overdue to go home and have tons of sex to help get the baby going....hmmm.
I'm going to check this one with my OB tommorrow! I'll let you know what her opinion is.

Scarlett81

Scarlett81

just an update, fyi. I asked my doc about it and she said sex/orgasms are fine for pregnancy. She said you can't know if its not fine regarding preterm labor later in the preg until you are there, but it would be very unusual for sex to cause it.

She did add that if there is any bleeding/spotting in early pregnancy, sex is a big no no then, until checked out by a doc and monitored closely.

Just figured I'd add what she said. I'd still be careful about sex in late pregnancy if only to prevent me from getting too out of breath!

Scarlett81

just an update, fyi. I asked my doc about it and she said sex/orgasms are fine for pregnancy. She said you can't know if its not fine regarding preterm labor later in the preg until you are there, but it would be very unusual for sex to cause it.

She did add that if there is any bleeding/spotting in early pregnancy, sex is a big no no then, until checked out by a doc and monitored closely.

Just figured I'd add what she said. I'd still be careful about sex in late pregnancy if only to prevent me from getting too out of breath!

Scarlett81

wanderlost

I had plenty of Os during my pregnancy and I did go into preterm labor, but by that time sex was uncomfortable enough that it wasn't the cause!

wanderlost

I had plenty of Os during my pregnancy and I did go into preterm labor, but by that time sex was uncomfortable enough that it wasn't the cause!

wanderlost

julie

Yes, orgasms CAN (can being the operative word!!!) trigger labor. The body releases endorphins during an orgasm, which can send the body into such a relaxed state that, as you can imagine, the uterus relax and then starts to contract. More commonly, O's cause the contractions that can lead to full blown labor. However, it's not all that common and unless you have a history of preterm labor or a weak uterus/cervix, I wouldn't put the love making on hold at all!!!!!!!!
Additionally, some chemical/hormone in the sperm can also trigger contractions that lead to labor. later on in your pregnancy, it's likely that you will experience braxton hicks contractions, but again, not all contractions lead to labor so unless you are already at high risk for one reason or another (cervical length, weak uterus, history of preterm labor, miscarriage for unknown reason...) keep on going at it.

For me, with my very high risk pregnancy, i continued to have orgasms until about 21 weeks, when my doctor said that because of my size (nearing full term) that my uterus didn't need any encouragement to relax as it was already stretched out and that at that point, it was risky to continue with such activities. In a non high risk pregnancy though, it's rarely discouraged.

julie

Yes, orgasms CAN (can being the operative word!!!) trigger labor. The body releases endorphins during an orgasm, which can send the body into such a relaxed state that, as you can imagine, the uterus relax and then starts to contract. More commonly, O's cause the contractions that can lead to full blown labor. However, it's not all that common and unless you have a history of preterm labor or a weak uterus/cervix, I wouldn't put the love making on hold at all!!!!!!!!
Additionally, some chemical/hormone in the sperm can also trigger contractions that lead to labor. later on in your pregnancy, it's likely that you will experience braxton hicks contractions, but again, not all contractions lead to labor so unless you are already at high risk for one reason or another (cervical length, weak uterus, history of preterm labor, miscarriage for unknown reason...) keep on going at it.

For me, with my very high risk pregnancy, i continued to have orgasms until about 21 weeks, when my doctor said that because of my size (nearing full term) that my uterus didn't need any encouragement to relax as it was already stretched out and that at that point, it was risky to continue with such activities. In a non high risk pregnancy though, it's rarely discouraged.

julie