Orkambi Journey with 19 y/o Allan Diagnosed at 4 months

A

Allansarmy

I really wasn't sure how to do this. I am the father of Allan. He is a bit shy to post his own thread and definitely not a YouTube video. So here I come. Hope its Ok to start my own thread. You may post in here and ask questions if you wish, if you have CF, a parent of a child with CF or just curious about CF. I am an open book. I can only put in this thread of what my son tells me. He knows this is being done and I do have his consent.

So just a tad bit of background on Allan. He is 19 y/o and he was diagnosed at 4 months old by a Doctor here in Texas.

His Normal FEV1 is usually around 85% on a good day. Had a bout of infection a few weeks ago sending his FEV1 to 64% and went in hospital for 5 days, sent home with PICC. Is blowing 81% last week and they are doing 1 more week of IVs almost done Wed he goes back for follow up. Feels better than he did about 3 weeks ago.

DAY 1 - Started his Orkambi this morning at 8:15am 2 pills in the AM/PM (Allan does not eat breakfast. Its rare, he is always nauseated) so this is gonna be harder than it looks. Orkambi must be taken with fat containing foods. Spoke with doctor and pharmacist. A glass of chocolate milk it is. This evening where it will be much easier. Allan is different than most with CF. There is no other words for it than his appetite sucks! He has been a picky eater since around 2 years old, the doctor said he will grow out of it..... ya right, more like grow into it. He eats about 500 cal a day if he is lucky, then gets 1500 cal a day through his G-button. So thats around 2,000 cal a day. The dietician wants him about 4,000 cal a day. We have tried everything including certain meds and it does not increase his appetite. So this will be interesting to see if Allan can gain more weight. He is 5'7" and weighs 122 ibs. So will keep everyone posted on his appetite and weight and his lungs, and bowels I guess.

About 10:00am he is starting to say he has a bit of shortness of breathe (probably psychosomatic to be honest). The doctor, YouTube, Orkambi site, the nurse and yes Mom and Dad have all been telling him that he 'may' and probably 'will' at some point get some shortness of breath, cough etc. They wanted him to start Monday today August 24th, 2015 so they can call in Prednisone if needed encase he has worst exacerbation. Will post more of an update later this evening.

EDIT: Night time dose was uneventful.

Day 2 on Orkambi - So far uneventful. No side effects as of yet. However, Allan is stating he is bringing up old phlegm. He says it looks old to him. The doctor is expecting a lot more to come out. Now one thing that I want to point out and maybe others can share light on this. Orkambi must be taken with fatty food. Is it possible that he is not getting enough fat with the Orkambi for it not to work as well? I fear this as Allan has hardly any appetite. He rarely eats, I might have to start giving him the Orkambi later in the evening when he does his feedings. I know that the Nutren 2.0 that he does through his G-button has fat as well as other calories, so I might try and give it to him right before he does a feeding. Allan does not like to do a 6 hour feeding pump. He was not eating hardly at all so the dietitian talked him into doing a 1 hour bolus through the Kangaroo Joey pump to get into 3 cans. I would love to say though he does this every night but he doesn't. He is 19 and is a bit stubborn.

Day 3 on Orkambi - I am having a difficult time with him even getting him to drink whole milk with this drug. It needs to be taken with fat and you would think this would be a cake walk, but when a person has zero appetite.... So far, he has a bit more cough and that is it. He states that he does not notice a difference.

Day 4 on Orkambi - A bite more of a cough, especially in the evening. I have not noticed and he has not noticed a significant cough production.

Day 5 on Orkambi - Cough is off and on, nothing drastic, still having problem getting him to take this in the morning mostly. He just is getting tired of drinking whole milk over and over. He has no appetite and will not eat ANYTHING else. Had a great call from Vertex the maker of Orkambi, and they are going to help lower his copay down to $15 as we have commercial insurance. Best news I could ever hope for!

Day 6 on Orkambi - Only slight cough with slight more phlegm production. Starting to complain of fatigue especially in the evening now. Stools are a bit more solid and has some constipation. He was in a slight better mood and actually cooked some eggs and milk to take his Meds. No shortness of breath or excessive coughing. Kinda worried though that some of his doses may not be adequately absorbed because how little fat he is consuming. I did however weigh him and he has gained 2 pounds!

Day 7 on Orkambi - Definitely more coughing now. Bringing up old phlegm - Dark green. Its important to note that Allan has finished 3 weeks of IV antibiotics as well through his PICC line. The PICC line is out and the CF clinic has put him on oral Augmentin as well. He tends to grow some fairly bad bugs as in MRSA to name a few, but this last one I would have to look up the proper spelling. His appetite was better last last night wanting to eat 15 pieces of bacon. I am going to take some advice given here by a person in this thread. They have been where my son has been (being told to take showers, do treatment) not feeling like they have control of their own body. I know this is what my son is going through. He knows this medication Orkambi is the medication my wife and I have been raving about and praying for years now. I just wanted my son excited about it too. But like the other person in this thread had mentioned that they would sometimes get angry at seeing how well others are doing on treatments etc. Maybe his is what he is doing. Perhaps I should take a step back and not ride him so much. I love him so much and I just don't want to see him end up like my wife's sister (double lung transplant) and passing by the age of 27. I want him to live a long fruitful life and have a family. Its hard to let go. Sorry, I know this journal is suppose to just be about my son's
symptoms but I have turned it into a sounding board. For that I am sorry. I will try and stick to just Allan and not be selfish here.

Day 8 on Orkambi - Allan is feeling a bit more tired. Cough has lessened except for in the morning. He seems to be bringing stuff up. BUT the tissue in his trash can has greatly been reduced. Morning dose went well today. Was able to eat and is not getting nauseated which is great!

Day 9 on Orkambi - Allan is starting to 'feel better'. He can take a deeper breathe he states. Coughing still in the morning mainly. I can hear him as I get ready for work around 7am. Tissue beside the bed is going down. His appetite is coming back YAY! Eating 2-3 times a day now. Really good for him. Ok my wife and I are thrilled on Day 9. Allan has gained 4 pounds just in the last 2 days. He was 124 on Sunday and now 128 and he is actually hungry. This is odd just typing this. I am convinced that this medication is helping him. I will keep you posted. This is great news!

Day 10 on Orkambi - Allan is feeling a little more tired, but he actually got up at a decent time again. He is starting to become more motivated. Cough has been greatly reduced. I hear him cough, but no more coughing fits to the point of vomitting. His appetite is still good, not great but just good. He has been mixing his own nebs since he was around age 10. Hard part is getting him to sterilize them properly. He tends to do the treatments and just lay them near his computer for hours at a time. Trying to get him to take them to the sink and rinse with hot water, soap etc. We occasionally boil some of the Pulmozyme Nebs for a few minutes but have to keep a close eye. They are a more steardy pastic but even they can melt. I have heard of devices that can go into a dishwasher. Does anyone else do this? If so, can you let me know what you use to do this? I have seen videos of other CF patients just putting them in a strainer type device and sealing it into a tupperware, adding hot water with soap and just shaking it for about 5 minutes, then rinsing. Have also heard about using vinegar. How is everyone else doing their neb cleaning? -

Day 11 on Orkambi - Today is a good day. He is coughing some morstly in the morning. I think the mucus just sits in his lungs due to gravity and non movement, and after he gets up and starts moving around he gets the urge to cough. His appetite is still good which we are encouraged. Coughing very little

Day 12 on Orkambi - Allan's words "I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY!! WHAT IS THIS!!!" I told him, welcome to being a normal teenager. I think most Teens, especially young men have a big hunger. He has never experienced this before. He eats, and 30 min later he feels more hungry. He has gained 5 pounds in just under 14 days now. His breathing is beyond excellent. I rarely ever hear him cough anymore. If he does it is very occasionally and it is only in the morning. His appetite picks up in the afternoon, so morning meals are still a bit of a challenge. However, this morning he wanted pancakes with bacon. Definately better than just a glass of milk to absorb the Orkambi with.

This forum only allows up to 10000 characters, sorry guys. I will post in my own thread as to how he is doing. I will probably start stretching it to every few weeks. But I will do my best to answer any questions.

T

ToriMom

Thank you for sharing with us! I am the parent of a CF daughter (age 14/Mickey button) and I am reading everything I can about Orkambi. She is not DDF508 so she is not on the drug yet, but I am hoping it helps the CF community. I just want to say thank you for your time and tell your son I appreciate it too. Our daughter also has almost zero appetite. :)

Michelle

A

Allansarmy

Thank you for sharing with us! I am the parent of a CF daughter (age 14/Mickey button) and I am reading everything I can about Orkambi. She is not DDF508 so she is not on the drug yet, but I am hoping it helps the CF community. I just want to say thank you for your time and tell your son I appreciate it too. Our daughter also has almost zero appetite. :)

Michelle

Thanks for sharing this Michelle. One thing you could try with your daughter that I had to do with my son is use "Scandical" its an odorless and tasteless substance that you can mix with anything. I try to put this in some food for Allan and he knows its there. He will occasionally mix it with his milk. I think a few tsp = 100 cal

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
First Allan, thank you so much for all the details. I really do like to hear the play by play and I'm sure many others do too!
Re the fat: I thought there is a very specific amount they say they should take with it, but I pulled the label and it didn't have an amount...it just said fat containing foods, but gave whole milk as an example so if he's doing a glass with it, I'd think that'd be enough. I bet Vertex could give you a specific fat amount they need or if a glass is enough. Will he do a Boost type thing (DS's has like 22 grams of fat), or maybe add cream to choc milk? Or a spoonful of butter of peanut butter???Or frozen custard? Sorry that is so hard... and I'm sure you thought of all those things...So glad to hear re the old phlegm!!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Someone here mentioned 20 grams of fat, but I couldn't find a specific number either. The pharmacist who called to go over the info once we were approved just mentioned whole milk, cheese, nuts... DS always has a glass of carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk and cream with his meals at home, so with breakfast and supper, I've been having him drink a little bit extra with it as he'd much prefer water. Sigh... He usually has a Hershey bar for an after school snack as well as some peanuts and I've noticed that the candy bar has 13 grams of fat...

We really haven't noticed much of a difference with ds; however, he never really seems to have stuff to cough up. He did have some gnarly looking stools the first week or so that were not typical cf, but they were not formed at all or very loose. Suspect the drug was getting the crud out of his intestinal tract. Back to normal after a week or so. He also told me he got some "nuggets" up which we think were from his sinuses.

MomD

Diet is extremely important with CFers as I'm sure your son is aware at 19 years old. He will need to accept that eating is medically necessarily, not just to assuage appetite. My child is 17 and started Orkambi 4 days ago. All side-effects expected have been experienced so far. It is definitely "hell week". Hang in there. The Orkambi has been shown to help weight gain. It may just be the positive upward spiral that your son needs to start feeling more positive about his health and will likely get on board with helping himself soon enough.

Hello! My daughter is 14 and has G551D/DF508. She started taking Kalydeco in March of 2012. In 5 months she gained 20 pounds, grew 5 inches, and felt so much better that we actually didn't know how to handle a "normal" child! Fat does make a difference - she's not a big breakfast eater but we have been able to maintain a high fat/high calorie diet since she was diagnosed at 3 months old. When she takes Kalydeco in the morning she'll eat a bowl of cereal with whole milk and eat some peanut butter or a slice of cheese. It's not a high calorie bfast but has the 15-20 grams of fat for Kalydeco. She'll eat a more substantial meal for lunch and dinner. I have noticed that she no longer requires such a high calorie diet now that the Kalydeco is really working in her system. The first 6 weeks were rough - sinuses were draining and nasty, cough harsh and nasty, bowels were nasty. But once her body cleared itself out, her improvement was phenomenal! She felt so much better she did a fundraiser for her birthday instead of asking for gifts. She wanted all CFers to feel as good as she did! She raised $7000 in the 4 weeks leading up to her birthday! There is hope! It will get better! Tell your stubborn son :) that he needs to use his teenage stubbornness as a weapon against CF! He can beat this! He can eat 15 grams of fat when taking Orkambi! And not because you or the doctors say so, but because he wants to feel better!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Sarah, Thank you so much for sharing! Stories like yours give us such hope. And please thank your daughter for the fundraising. Our son is 6 and we look forward to Orkambi for him and a better "normal".
Also, is your DD doing the 661/Kalydeco study? Believe it or not, it sounds like it will make her feel even better!!!

A

Allansarmy

Diet is extremely important with CFers as I'm sure your son is aware at 19 years old. He will need to accept that eating is medically necessarily, not just to assuage appetite. My child is 17 and started Orkambi 4 days ago. All side-effects expected have been experienced so far. It is definitely "hell week". Hang in there. The Orkambi has been shown to help weight gain. It may just be the positive upward spiral that your son needs to start feeling more positive about his health and will likely get on board with helping himself soon enough.
Yep, I had heard of 'hell week' and we were definately expecting it. To be honest it was not bad at all. I see my son taking his meds and I am standing next to him as he drinks his glass of milk with Carnation instant breakfast. I am not sure if this is enough fat to be honest. I had heard 20g of fat as well, but also they said a glass of whole milk should be enough. With him gaining a few pounds I am hoping his taste buds change and he will indeed spiral upwards to having an appetite yet again.

A

Allansarmy

Hello! My daughter is 14 and has G551D/DF508. She started taking Kalydeco in March of 2012. In 5 months she gained 20 pounds, grew 5 inches, and felt so much better that we actually didn't know how to handle a "normal" child! Fat does make a difference - she's not a big breakfast eater but we have been able to maintain a high fat/high calorie diet since she was diagnosed at 3 months old. When she takes Kalydeco in the morning she'll eat a bowl of cereal with whole milk and eat some peanut butter or a slice of cheese. It's not a high calorie bfast but has the 15-20 grams of fat for Kalydeco. She'll eat a more substantial meal for lunch and dinner. I have noticed that she no longer requires such a high calorie diet now that the Kalydeco is really working in her system. The first 6 weeks were rough - sinuses were draining and nasty, cough harsh and nasty, bowels were nasty. But once her body cleared itself out, her improvement was phenomenal! She felt so much better she did a fundraiser for her birthday instead of asking for gifts. She wanted all CFers to feel as good as she did! She raised $7000 in the 4 weeks leading up to her birthday! There is hope! It will get better! Tell your stubborn son :) that he needs to use his teenage stubbornness as a weapon against CF! He can beat this! He can eat 15 grams of fat when taking Orkambi! And not because you or the doctors say so, but because he wants to feel better!

Thank you for Sharing this Sarah. My son is indeed stubborn. There is not other words for it. You would think a 19 y/o would take it in their own hands to do this. However, I am not in his body and I do not know what he is going through. I know he battles some depression, but hearing stories like your daughter, you would think would motivate him. I really wish he had friends that had CF that would support him face to face. I know that its not usually recommended that CF people should ever stay close with each other and I know all about support groups but he will not do it. He has always been shy. I am hoping this drug changes his life. We had to put a feeding tube in his stomach at the age of 9 and he gained 20 pounds in 6 months and the deiticians loved his growth chart so much that they asked us if they could black his name out and just show other parents that are on the fence on whether to put a tube in their child. I say go for it, when you have a child at the age of 9 and that is soon to go through puberty, they need calories and they need growth. The doctor put it to me plain and simple. He either gets the G-button or his mortality rate declines by over 70%. I went back and looked at photos of him and I was completely blown away at how sunken his cheeks were and arms were so skinny. He was wasting away before our eyes and my wife and I never noticed this as much. When you see your child or a sibling daily you just don't see it. So take it from me, if you have a young child to other that read this and they are picky eaters or just will not eat, do NOT tolerate it. You can't 'talk' them into eating either. Just do it, you are the parent, put that tube in your child.

If anyone else has questions hit me with it. I am honest and open minded. This disease has made my demeanor more candid. Once again, I love my son don't get me wrong, but it just frustrates me to no end when I have the closest thing to a cure that there is, and he argues with me about drinking some damn milk.

nmw0615

One quick note: for those using Carnation to up fat content: check the nutrition label. I thought using some carnation would be a genius way to get more fat, but when I checked my mix, it said it only contained .5g of fat per serving. I use the rich milk chocolate flavor. Granted, a 8oz glass of whole milk has about 8g of fat, so that's still within the range. Just wanted to give a heads up.

To Allansarmy, I went through a phase much like your son is now. What it boiled down to, for me, was control. So much of this disease is out of our control. When we're underage, it feels worse because we aren't even the ones in control of our health decisions. Our parents make those for us (which I understand, and I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just another way to feel out of control.)

Yes, we can do every single thing our doctors tell us to do, but the disease still affects us. So when I was in my late teens (and not treating my depression) I found control in every single thing I could. I wouldn't eat unless I decided to eat. I wouldn't shower until I wanted to shower. I actually developed moderate OCD during this period because of the things I exerted control over. Interesting, when my parents backed off on trying to force me to eat a ton and gave me more control over my meals, I started to eat more. I still rarely eat breakfast, but because I control what and when I eat, I eat more. I still get at least 3,500 calories a day, even without an actual breakfast.

I wasn't motivated by the positive stories of other CFers; they actually made me angry. I'd think "What makes them so much more special than me, that they get to do so well?" A lot of this stemmed from my depression. It might be possible that your son is struggling with something and needs help for those issues separately from CF help. Obviously, you can't force him to talk, but start a dialogue with him that goes beyond medical necessities. He probably knows why it's medically important to do these things. Have a dialogue about why it's personally important. Very few things had a bigger impact on my decision to treat my depression than seeing my father cry as he told me his plans for my imaginary future wedding that he was afraid I wouldn't see because I wasn't taking good care of myself.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey Allan,
I had a thought, and I preface this with I HATED when the clinic made all these suggestions when DS was having issues with food, like I hadn't thought of everything and tried everything. So, sorry if it comes off that way, but I'm wondering if it might help to treat the milk as a medicine and thus it doesn't matter if hungry, its a med. So for DS, he has to drink his water whether or not he is thirsty either because it has his miralax in it or because he needs so many glasses of water or his GI track backs up, so we treat it all as medicine. Hang in there.

A

Allansarmy

@nmw Wow thanks for posting that. I never really thought of it like that. I guess it helps hearing this come from someone that has been there before. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I have noticed that when my wife and I leave him alone for a few days, he does seem to step it up a bit.

We will try (I should say I will try). My wife is the calm headed one. I won't show success videos as it does seem to not interest him. I never really thought about it like they way you put it. Perhaps with age, a light will come on and it will start a spark. I have seen things like that happen. I mean I am kinda like that myself. I was a shy kid, I was pessimistic as well. My wife says we act a lot alike :p. I will back off and I will let everyone know how it goes.

A

Allansarmy

Hey Allan,
I had a thought, and I preface this with I HATED when the clinic made all these suggestions when DS was having issues with food, like I hadn't thought of everything and tried everything. So, sorry if it comes off that way, but I'm wondering if it might help to treat the milk as a medicine and thus it doesn't matter if hungry, its a med. So for DS, he has to drink his water whether or not he is thirsty either because it has his miralax in it or because he needs so many glasses of water or his GI track backs up, so we treat it all as medicine. Hang in there.

We are willing to try anything. The only reason we add in the Carnation instant breakfast is because the taste, that's it. Sure it may have some extra added benefit, perhaps a few extra calories, but its all about the taste for him. I think him having CF has really screwed his taste buds up as well. I remember when he was young he use to have a Geographic tongue. If no one knows what that means, please look up pictures. Most of the time it doesn't mean anything and other times it can indeed change taste of things. It looks like he has grown out of it for the most part. I see a bit but mostly gone. He knows at the age of 19 that the Orkambi must be taken with fat. He takes so many different other meds, not sure if he would really go for 'milk as meds' but I can try it out. He did try a bit of cheese as well the other day along with a few other things when he wasn't hungry.

I guess this "Orkambi Journey" will not only be about how it works for him, but I guess you guys/gals can see how it helps him mentally and also me as a father as well. My wife is always positive, so she is the cheerleader of the bunch, which is surprising. She lost her sister to CF to whom she was very, very close to. Her sister was 27 and my wife was 24. My wife also lost her mother 3 months ago (passed away in her sleep) so she has been through the ringer, but yet she still stays positive and pushes through. She is a strong person, stronger than me I dare say. She keeps me hopeful, it should be the other way around but there it is, just being honest.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It helps keeping us going.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey, another idea...if you try it as Ned's what about a boast plus..I just looked...for our boast kids essentials 4 ounces has 180 calories and 9 grams of fat. He could chug a half a glass of that and be done with it?

hugs to you Dad and your dear family.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, another idea...if you try it as Ned's what about a boast plus..I just looked...for our boast kids essentials 4 ounces has 180 calories and 9 grams of fat. He could chug a half a glass of that and be done with it?

If he's like my son, he probably doesn't like the premixed beverages on the market and we've tried them all -- boost, pediasure, ensure, Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC... They're too thick and they "taste funny". We have been able to get ds to drink an ensure "juice" provided it's ice cold; however, it doesn't have fat in it, just protein, but 200 calories. DS prefers carnation instant breakfast powder mixed with whole milk and an ounce of cream. To me it tastes like melted ice cream and doesn't have that nasty vitaminy taste the prepackaged ones have.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Yeah, my DS is an odd duck...he loves the Boast Kids Essential and would have 2 per meal if I'd let him, but he "pretended" to like ice cream and grimaced as he took a nibble and said that was enough, as he does the same with all sweets. I'm just thinking with the high cal stuff you could guzzle 4 ounces and be down. Always just a battle isn't it.

If he's like my son, he probably doesn't like the premixed beverages on the market and we've tried them all -- boost, pediasure, ensure, Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC... They're too thick and they "taste funny". We have been able to get ds to drink an ensure "juice" provided it's ice cold; however, it doesn't have fat in it, just protein, but 200 calories. DS prefers carnation instant breakfast powder mixed with whole milk and an ounce of cream. To me it tastes like melted ice cream and doesn't have that nasty vitaminy taste the prepackaged ones have.

T

ToriMom

This may be a silly suggestion but if he has a g-tube could you just bolus him one syringe of coconut oil? It has MCT oil so it requires few (if any) enzymes, and your son wouldn't have to eat/drink it. If you need high fat with the Orkambi--it is an option. I use a small 10 cc or 20 cc syringe when I bolus small things my daughter won't take by mouth. The smaller volume means less of that "bloated" feeling they hate.
Michelle (mom to Victoria, 14, gtube,

A

Allansarmy

This may be a silly suggestion but if he has a g-tube could you just bolus him one syringe of coconut oil? It has MCT oil so it requires few (if any) enzymes, and your son wouldn't have to eat/drink it. If you need high fat with the Orkambi--it is an option. I use a small 10 cc or 20 cc syringe when I bolus small things my daughter won't take by mouth. The smaller volume means less of that "bloated" feeling they hate.
Michelle (mom to Victoria, 14, gtube,

You are exactly right Tori. He does indeed have a G-button and that is an option if he fails to give us anymore grief. I might just offer it to him and have him do a Mic-Key attachement with a 20mL Bolus, perhaps 2 of those. But yes thank you for telling me this. It is on our to do list if he continues. However something is starting to change in Allan. He is acting different. His appetite is coming back he says! We shall see, it comes in waves. I will do your suggestion if it comes down to it. I mean, I have direct access to his stomach if need be ;) I prefer his consent first though lol