Other Airway Clearance Techniques besides the Vest or actual CPT (Clapping)

Does anyone know of any other airway clearance techniques that are effective besides the huge and heavy Vest system and other than having to rely on another person to do chest physical therapy and also other than the Flutter Valve which is dependent on how the person uses it as to whether it is effective or not? I am unsure that the Vibralung is able to be cleaned properly as the instructions say to use Clorox wipes? I know bacteria have been found in baby wipes and cleaning wipes in the past so I am hesitant to look into it further. Those hospital wipes are $100 a container so I really can't afford those. I really wanted something that is small and portable.

ethan508

Have you looked into a PEP valve/mask? Or Active Cycle Breathing (ACBT)?

My respiratory therapist introduced me to these as alternate therapies usefull for for short duration travel and other occasions where the vest is not practical to drag around. I like to use ABCT when I have minor coughing fits at night or if an inopertune coughing spells pops up at work, church, or other public places. I just step into a corner and breath a few cycles to clear everything out. It allows for a far more controlled and productive 'cough' than just hacking away.

Here is a good link onn ABCT: http://www.cff.org/treatments/Thera...e/#Active_Cycle_of_Breathing_Technique_(ACBT)

Thank you Ethan! I read that link you posted. I do not know about these other therapies (Acapella, Cornet, IPV) or the PEP therapy it talks about using a mask or mouthpiece attached to a resistor set. Do you know what that device would be called? I am unfamiliar with all those. It does not really explain what those are in that link. Sometimes when his bags get checked there is confusion sometimes as to what the Vest machine is. It gets looked over very well, especially when he travels out of the U.S., even though my son has a letter from his doctor for the Vest. I know they would look at another device too but I was really hoping I could find a device that worked real well that is much smaller and compact so it can be carried in his regular bag and he would not have to lug that machine around as a carry-on and get all the attention when it gets checked. He really needs something that works good and is effective. I really appreciate your help and ideas Ethan!

Last edited:

jaimers

Super Moderator
Hi Believing, Traveling with the vest can be so annoying especially when trying to wrangle another suitcase as well. I find for periods of 7 days or less I can get away with using the Acapella (or similar PEP device) along with my hypertonic and it's pretty effective. For me the vest or manual cpt is the best but the Acapella is an acceptable substitute if need be. I did use it for a month long trip once which wasn't ideal airway cleanse wise but SO much better for traveling! I think I was either given one at clinic or prescribed one. Honestly, can't remember. The link I provided says its prescription only but you can buy them online for around $50. it has valves in it and breathing into it feels similar to the flutter but the effectiveness isn't dependednt on the angle you hold it at so that's a plus. I have attached an article (first link) that talks about airway cleanse devices generally but the first part is about PEP devices specifically. as well as two other links that show PEP (positive expiratory pressure) devices I personally have used.

Particle about PEP devices and therapy:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2580042/

Acapella device: I have the green one.
http://www.smiths-medical.com/catalog/bronchial-hygiene/acapella/acapella.html

Thera-Pep: I prefer the Acapella to this device but it works well too.
http://www.smiths-medical.com/catalog/bronchial-hygiene/therapep/therapep-system.html

this version of the Acapella looks cool! It attaches to you nebulizer cup so you can do the therapy while you neb. Looks like you need the specific type off neb cup though.
http://www.smiths-medical.com/catal...capella-duet/acapella-duet-vibratory-pep.html

ethan508

I've had two PEPs. They are a little too big to fit in a pocket but small enough for a hand-bag or carry-on.

The first I called a PEP valve (seen here: http://www.uwhealthkids.org/cf-cent...atment-positive-expiratory-pressure-pep/34309).

The second (and one I use currently) I call a PEP Mask (seen here http://pep-rmt.wellspect.co.uk/Main.aspx?Item=202645&navt=116&navl=92452&nava=92481)

I tried air travel with my 105 Hill-Rom vest once, with Dr letter in hand, and still got the look over plus some crusty comments from air stewards about my 'extra' carry-on. But if I ever travel for more than a week, the minor inconvenience/frustration of explaining things to airport people is worth it to me.

Most my trips are shorter than 5 days so I'll just carry my neb pump and Pep Mask. But I still get pulled out of line for further investigation. This has never been more than a 5 minute inconvenience. The nebs, medicines w/ice, and electronics of the pump are strange enough that TSA needs to see it to figure it out.

My best pass through, I pre-declared myself to TSA as having medicines w/ice and pulled my pump and meds (inside a clear baggie) out of my carry-on so that they were identifiable without doing a bag search. That seemed easiest for all involved.

Thank you Jaimers and Ethan! I did not know there were so many choices. I guess I am wondering how these can be sterilized too especially when traveling with a mask and tubes, etc.?? My son has 10 nebulizers and takes what he needs. If he runs out he will set out the nebs he needs in Isopropyl Alcohol in a tub and then rinse with bottled water. I did call my sons clinic but they really just want him to do the Vest as they feel that is the most effective. I figure there has to be another option than that big heavy machine that gains so much attention. If these other options are only about $50 then I might get him one to try. How do you buy online without a prescription? I am not good with the computer and really just know how to google stuff which I only learned not too long ago!:eek: The accapella and also the mask thing look interesting if they are effective and can be sterilized.??? He already has the Flutter which is really not effective.

Last edited:

nmw0615

My clinic has phased out the Acapella in favor of the Aerobika. Acapellas have a small metal component that rusts really easily, and my clinic and myself didn't like that I was inhaling air that ran over the rusted portion. The Aerobika does a similar treatment to an Acapella, but without the metal rust.

Thank you nmw, I will look into that Aerobika. I saw that but didn't look at it extensively. Is that able to be sterilized and is it pretty effective? Have you noticed it helps and do you use it often?

ethan508

Your son should meet with his respiratory therapist the next clinic visit and discuss alternatives. If the therapist is intransigent about Vest only, then you need to ask them clinic if they have an alternate therapist that is willing to take quality of life and patient's desires into consideration. Drs are great but sometimes as a patient you need to force the issue that you are an adult and that practical considerations that impact quality of life are important too. Pep might not be as effective as Vest, but it is more effective than nothing. Quality of life, including the ability to hold a job, needs to be considered when you are comparing what is 90% good versus something 100% good.

The therapist should also be able to give the best advice for sanitation of any particular device. Again if they can't/won't do this, ask for someone that is willing/able to perform their job correctly. Some things can be boiled in water in the microwave (I did melt/warp part of the thera-pep in a microwave); bleach and water might be an option; Soap, water, and a good dry can be effective (if things really get dry); dishwasher on sanitize cycle; alcohol; etc.

I agree. I was disappointed that the respiratory therapist did not want to discuss anything other than the vest. She is old and stubborn though (probably like me!). He doesn't go back till the middle of May and I really wanted to help him find something sometime in the very near future. He does need to hold a job as he has accumulated many bills of his own. I know there has to be other options. I am probably going to have to buy one without a prescription though. At his clinic there is only one therapist who has been there forever. She is probably just trying to do her best for my son and I appreciate that as she is good at her job.

jaimers

Super Moderator
Hey Believing here is a device I found on that same website called the Acapella Choice. It appears to come apart completely so it can be easily sterilized. Says parts are able to be boiled. Does say Rx only so may be worth asking the doc about getting one.
http://www.smiths-medical.com/catalog/bronchial-hygiene/acapella-choice/acapella-choice.html

here is another link from National Jewish in Denver about the Acapella choice. They say do not boil it but do provide alternative sterilization methods with either alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/medications/lung-diseases/treatments/acapella-choice

Jaimers thank you so much! That is wonderful! I really wanted something that can either be boiled or disinfected with isopropyl alcohol. I am going to see if my husband can help me to get one of these online without a prescription when he gets off work tonight. I really want something that will be effective but is small and easy to take along. Does the acapella work well for you? My son travels a lot with his work and I would especially like him to have something when he has to go internationally. I appreciate your help so much! I really wish the Vibralung was able to be disinfected better. I saw someone left a message about it but have not read it yet as I saw this one first and this option is so much cheaper too. Does it work well for you?

Jaimers - I forgot - Does your Accapella have a metal ball that nmw talked about? I am going to review the Aerobika and the Accapella with my husband and see if he can help me. Thanks so much!

B

bookworm

I don't think anyone has mentioned the pari-pep device yet. It is very small and very lightweight (breaks down even smaller) can be sterilized and can be used in tandem with the Pari LC sprint. It is dishwasher safe and boilable. http://www.pari.com/products/accessories_other/product/detail/info/pari_pep_s.html

If you would like to review a paper that examines the differences in aerosol absorption while using these pep devices while doing treatments (pep device connected to the nebulizer while doing treatments) please click this link:http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/59/2/216.full.pdf+html.

Here is an image that summarizes the results from the latter article:

Thank you Bookworm for all that info! I have never heard of this either. I tried to read the chart you sent. I see with the Accapella Duet and Choice that medicine can be lost when doing it with a neb, right? What about the Pari-Pep? I couldn't understand if that showed it worked well and didn't lose much medicine? My son has the Pari LC but I'm pretty sure it is not the Sprint. I really like that it is dishwasher-safe and boilable. Have you or anyone else tried this? Does it really work well? I sort of feel like he might be skimping on treatments if he didn't take his Vest and used a different treatment instead. I do like the vibration of the Vest, I just wish they had something much smaller and easier to travel with.

B

bookworm

You're welcome. The article I attached that it came from does explain that medicine is lost when you use some of these devices and it appears to say that the Pari device does not lose the medicine - although the article is a bit difficult to read. The article says that if you are using a PEP/nebulizer combo to do medicines such as Pulmozyme that this can mean you don't get the right dose as quite a bit of medicine is lost.

In the diagram, you'll see that the delivery of the LCPlus nebulizer is at the same level whether or not the Pari-Pep or Pari-Pep S (a different model) is used. It shows how much is lost (apparently no more than if you used just the nebulizer) at two different resistance settings (the little holes in the device that set the pressure in the Positive expiratory pressure device).

I have used the Pari-Pep and I like it better than the flutter. I can't say that I have used it with my nebulizer, but alone as a Pari-Pep device. I asked a respiratory therapist which device patients preferred and this is what she recommended. If you're travelling and you want a few to sterilize, they are inexpensive enough to get a few. I tend to agree with the other posters here that for a trip of 5 days or so, or even up to a week, a smaller device is nicer to bring. But after that, I'm looking forward to my vest again. When travelling, I do my pari-pep, then do my hypertonic saline. In the evening, I sterilize all the devices and air dry them on paper towels I bring with me. A key part of using Pari-Pep is having the respiratory therapist train you, so you are doing this comfortably, getting as much out as you can, without making yourself uncomfortable. They can also suggest the best resistance setting for you to use on the device and watch your technique.

Another thing I have used from time-to-time, when I don't want to bring a vest, is a massage percussor. I generally throw this in my carry-on, but have sometimes packed it in my luggage (if I've got another device with me). The vibration from the massager does thin the mucous, but you have to be careful when you use it, not to hit bony parts and keep the setting pretty low. There are more professional models specifically for chest diseases ->http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-By-Category/Electrical/G5-Flimm-Fighter-Massage-Percussor and this one which Jerry Cahill also reviews http://www.medsystems.com/professional/cystic-fibrosis-therapy/

This is the one I used until it got fried by a flakey outlet in a place where I was visiting http://www.everydaycomfort.com/homedics-pa-100-therapist-select-percussion-action-massager/ . The benefit of taking an inexpensive device like this was "no worries" if it gets fried or smashed up in your luggage.

Taking a massager of some type and a pari-pep is the option I prefer. Pari-pep works well and if you find yourself longing for your vest, because you can feel something that you can't quite get out, you can use the massager to get at those areas. And I really don't say anything to TSA about the massager. They look at it and go "uh-huh" and put it back in the bag. I do keep my meds in a plastic bag in the bin and the Pari-Pep in my purse.

Bookworm - Wow! That Electro Flo 5000 may be what I am looking for! That looks like it should be pretty effective and would deliver a good "pounding" on the chest. I so appreciate you sending me all this information! I love that it is smaller and has to be much lighter-weight and should be effective to get stuff out. It does look like it may be something the TSA might question but it is so much smaller and less obvious. Maybe with a letter from the doctor it may pass easier than the big heavy Vest. We love the Vest, just wish it was way smaller. I did not see a price. I am going to call the number tomorrow and ask and also ask about insurance. Even though our insurance has changed over the years because one of the insurance companies bought the Vest - mostly - years ago, they won't cover anything else but I understand why with the cost of $16,000 for the Vest. Thank you so much for this information! I very much appreciate it.