Oxygen question.

duke1234

I'm on anywhere from 3-4.5 liters a minute continuous flow oxygen 24/7 and I use a nasal cannula. I was worried and wondering what happens when I need more oxygen? Most cannulas say to stop at 5Lpm and my o2 concentrator stops at 5 or 6 I think so what happens when I'm needing 7 or 8 liters? I don't want a full mask, what machine will I use? It seems like everything stops at 5 or 6.

duke1234

I'm on anywhere from 3-4.5 liters a minute continuous flow oxygen 24/7 and I use a nasal cannula. I was worried and wondering what happens when I need more oxygen? Most cannulas say to stop at 5Lpm and my o2 concentrator stops at 5 or 6 I think so what happens when I'm needing 7 or 8 liters? I don't want a full mask, what machine will I use? It seems like everything stops at 5 or 6.

duke1234

CountryGirl

Thats a really good question cause I'm on the same amt of O2 as you and wondered the same thing. I didn't know about the canula thing but I dont think that it has to be that way, I think you can still use it. I've been on higher in the hospital and still using a canula.

I do know, after hearing from a friend that at a point, you can be on so much O2 that youre homebound...lets hope thats not 7 ltrs!

CountryGirl

Thats a really good question cause I'm on the same amt of O2 as you and wondered the same thing. I didn't know about the canula thing but I dont think that it has to be that way, I think you can still use it. I've been on higher in the hospital and still using a canula.

I do know, after hearing from a friend that at a point, you can be on so much O2 that youre homebound...lets hope thats not 7 ltrs!

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />I do know, after hearing from a friend that at a point, you can be on so much O2 that youre homebound...lets hope thats not 7 ltrs!

Havoc

The max flow with a nasal cannula is usually 6LPM, mostly due to comfort issues and the risk of nosebleeds. Sometimes you can get away with higher flow rates by adding a humidifier.

Typically above 6 LPM we go to a simple face mask or a non-rebreather. Having said that, if you are requiring that much supplemental O2 (10-15LPM) you're seriously hypoxic.

Havoc

The max flow with a nasal cannula is usually 6LPM, mostly due to comfort issues and the risk of nosebleeds. Sometimes you can get away with higher flow rates by adding a humidifier.

Typically above 6 LPM we go to a simple face mask or a non-rebreather. Having said that, if you are requiring that much supplemental O2 (10-15LPM) you're seriously hypoxic.

Havoc

<br />
<br />Typically above 6 LPM we go to a simple face mask or a non-rebreather. Having said that, if you are requiring that much supplemental O2 (10-15LPM) you're seriously hypoxic.

Ldude916

I just went from 4 to 6 liters and like you, my concentrator and O2 machine stopped at 5L.

The medical co. switched out my O2 machine with one that goes up to 10 and supplied me with high flow green tubing for around the house.

Now, going outside of the house is a little tricky... They are telling me to use the full flow regulator for my travel tanks, and they gave me this tubing that has a suction bag on it that holds the oxygen as it's coming out of the small tank and 'conserves' it and as you breathe in, the suction releases and delivers you the oxygen....they said it's supposed to last just as long as using the concentrator, but I don't think it does. I've gone as far as using that tubing with the bigger tanks that I have to wheel around.

It's a pain, but you work it out =) Don't fret about it until the time comes!

Ldude916

I just went from 4 to 6 liters and like you, my concentrator and O2 machine stopped at 5L.

The medical co. switched out my O2 machine with one that goes up to 10 and supplied me with high flow green tubing for around the house.

Now, going outside of the house is a little tricky... They are telling me to use the full flow regulator for my travel tanks, and they gave me this tubing that has a suction bag on it that holds the oxygen as it's coming out of the small tank and 'conserves' it and as you breathe in, the suction releases and delivers you the oxygen....they said it's supposed to last just as long as using the concentrator, but I don't think it does. I've gone as far as using that tubing with the bigger tanks that I have to wheel around.

It's a pain, but you work it out =) Don't fret about it until the time comes!

Ldude916

<br />
<br />The medical co. switched out my O2 machine with one that goes up to 10 and supplied me with high flow green tubing for around the house.
<br />
<br />Now, going outside of the house is a little tricky... They are telling me to use the full flow regulator for my travel tanks, and they gave me this tubing that has a suction bag on it that holds the oxygen as it's coming out of the small tank and 'conserves' it and as you breathe in, the suction releases and delivers you the oxygen....they said it's supposed to last just as long as using the concentrator, but I don't think it does. I've gone as far as using that tubing with the bigger tanks that I have to wheel around.
<br />
<br />It's a pain, but you work it out =) Don't fret about it until the time comes!