Pamindronate infusions

jshet

Anyone taking Pamindronate infusions for osteoporosis? If so, are you experiencing any side effects, and what are they? My son just had his first set of 2 day infusions and he is having pretty severe side effects. Some nausea, with severe bone pain. The pain is so bad, they had to put him on a narcotic pain killer. His spine and neck pain are terrible. He developed a fever of 101 this evening.

I have called the on call endo. and I have to take him for blood work tomorrow to have his electrolytes checked. They were aware of the bone pain since that started last night, but it is not improving yet.

Any suggestions or experience you may have had would be greatly appreciated. The nurses at the infusion center said of all the kids they see that are getting this medication, my son is the only one to experience any side effects.

thank you, Janelle

roeann

Janelle, my son hasn't taken this drug but I have researched it as he has osteopenia of the spine so he might need it in the future. The reason he is still in pain may be due to the long exertion time for the drug which could be up as long as 120 hours if I am interpreting the info below correctly. I hope he feels better soon.

Roe

"After administration of 30, 60, and 90 mg of Pamidronate disodium over 4 hours, and 90 mg of Pamidronate disodium over 24 hours, an overall mean ± SD of 46 ± 16% of the drug was excreted unchanged in the urine within 120 hours. Cumulative urinary excretion was linearly related to dose. The mean ± SD elimination half-life is 28 ± 7 hours. Mean ± SD total and renal clearances of Pamidronate were 107 ± 50 mL/min and 49 ± 28 mL/min, respectively. The rate of elimination from bone has not been determined." (http://www.drugs.com/pro/pamidronate.html)

jshet

Thanks Roeann. The infusions lasted 4 hours each day. Not sure what his dosage was. It is day 3 and he is still having bone pain. I spoke to his endo. this morning and he feels he did experience severe side effects that his other patients did not.
The next set of infusions he will be pre-medicated with Tylenol and Benadryl and will keep giving it to him until every 4 hrs. until the infusions are completed.
if that does not work we will then break up the doses, giving him less medicine, but doing infusions more often.

once again thank you for your help, Janelle

Dominic

I take that. I get 1 infusion over 2 hours. not sure the dosing though.
I take 30 mg of Prednisone the day before, day of, and day after the infusion. the steroids are to lessen the bone pain. the pain I had was mild for a half a day at most.

ask about the steroids!