Parainfluenza

Claire17

Hi,
This might not have happened any of you, but have you ever tested positive for parainfluenza or RSV after transplant? My center(Stanford) always does nasal swabs when we come down with a virus--even just for colds. But anyway, this time, the results came back as parainfluenza.

They have this protocol of 5 days of ribavirin nebulizers in the hospital. The nebs last 4-6 hours a day with a crappy mask that leaks so you have to sit really still on the bed for this amount of time. Has anyone had to do anything similar? The whole point is to try to clear out the virus so it doesn't set off the immune system to start rejection in the small airways where the virus burrows in.

just curious if anyone's been through this.

thanks-

Claire17

Hi,
This might not have happened any of you, but have you ever tested positive for parainfluenza or RSV after transplant? My center(Stanford) always does nasal swabs when we come down with a virus--even just for colds. But anyway, this time, the results came back as parainfluenza.

They have this protocol of 5 days of ribavirin nebulizers in the hospital. The nebs last 4-6 hours a day with a crappy mask that leaks so you have to sit really still on the bed for this amount of time. Has anyone had to do anything similar? The whole point is to try to clear out the virus so it doesn't set off the immune system to start rejection in the small airways where the virus burrows in.

thanks-

Claire17

Hi,

thanks-

Claire17

Hi,

thanks-

Claire17

Hi,
<br />This might not have happened any of you, but have you ever tested positive for parainfluenza or RSV after transplant? My center(Stanford) always does nasal swabs when we come down with a virus--even just for colds. But anyway, this time, the results came back as parainfluenza.
<br />
<br />They have this protocol of 5 days of ribavirin nebulizers in the hospital. The nebs last 4-6 hours a day with a crappy mask that leaks so you have to sit really still on the bed for this amount of time. Has anyone had to do anything similar? The whole point is to try to clear out the virus so it doesn't set off the immune system to start rejection in the small airways where the virus burrows in.
<br />
<br />just curious if anyone's been through this.
<br />
<br />thanks-
<br />

Breezy

I see you have IVIG mentioned in your titel, and I get that every 4 weeks for my immune system problem....I'm waiting for a tx right now....all I can tell you is that the IVIG will boost your immune system to help fight off the virus.

This prob wasn't too helpful!

Breezy

I see you have IVIG mentioned in your titel, and I get that every 4 weeks for my immune system problem....I'm waiting for a tx right now....all I can tell you is that the IVIG will boost your immune system to help fight off the virus.

Breezy

Breezy

Breezy

<br />
<br />This prob wasn't too helpful!

Claire17

I finished the protocol last week. I'm not really convinced it did anything, and I still test positive for the virus. I guess the point was to avoid rejection, so we'll see.

The solumedrol gave me high anxiety which was no fun; just starting to feel normal mentally again. I hope they figure out whether this protocol actually works, because I really don't like it. I have PFT's tomorrow to see where I am.

Claire17

I finished the protocol last week. I'm not really convinced it did anything, and I still test positive for the virus. I guess the point was to avoid rejection, so we'll see.

The solumedrol gave me high anxiety which was no fun; just starting to feel normal mentally again. I hope they figure out whether this protocol actually works, because I really don't like it. I have PFT's tomorrow to see where I am.

Claire17

Claire17

Claire17

<br />
<br />The solumedrol gave me high anxiety which was no fun; just starting to feel normal mentally again. I hope they figure out whether this protocol actually works, because I really don't like it. I have PFT's tomorrow to see where I am.