Parents - Do any of you have serious illness?

MargaritaChic

I was diagnosed with MS in 2001. In 2003 the diagnosis was reversed and attributed to a B12 deficiency.

Since then I have been doing pretty well until this summer. Dizziness, off-balance, etc and in the last few weeks my arm and neck went numb.

I had an MRI done of my neck to see if I had re-injured an old surgery. I got the MRI results today. They found lesions on my cervical spine. Lesions that were not there in 2005 when they last did an MRI of my neck.

Tonight I am going to have an MRI of my brain. The preliminary results make the doctors believe that I do indeed have MS.

Good news would be that if it is MS it was about 7 years between exasserbations. So that would lead me to believe that it is the milder type (relapsing-remitting).

My stepmom has MS (primary progressive) and unfortunately she has a type that is severly disabling.

-------------

All that being said...
Does anyone here have their own medical conditions that make it more difficult to care for your CF child? How do you handle that?

MargaritaChic

I was diagnosed with MS in 2001. In 2003 the diagnosis was reversed and attributed to a B12 deficiency.

Since then I have been doing pretty well until this summer. Dizziness, off-balance, etc and in the last few weeks my arm and neck went numb.

I had an MRI done of my neck to see if I had re-injured an old surgery. I got the MRI results today. They found lesions on my cervical spine. Lesions that were not there in 2005 when they last did an MRI of my neck.

Tonight I am going to have an MRI of my brain. The preliminary results make the doctors believe that I do indeed have MS.

Good news would be that if it is MS it was about 7 years between exasserbations. So that would lead me to believe that it is the milder type (relapsing-remitting).

My stepmom has MS (primary progressive) and unfortunately she has a type that is severly disabling.

-------------

All that being said...
Does anyone here have their own medical conditions that make it more difficult to care for your CF child? How do you handle that?

MargaritaChic

-------------

All that being said...

MargaritaChic

-------------

All that being said...

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />Since then I have been doing pretty well until this summer. Dizziness, off-balance, etc and in the last few weeks my arm and neck went numb.
<br />
<br />I had an MRI done of my neck to see if I had re-injured an old surgery. I got the MRI results today. They found lesions on my cervical spine. Lesions that were not there in 2005 when they last did an MRI of my neck.
<br />
<br />Tonight I am going to have an MRI of my brain. The preliminary results make the doctors believe that I do indeed have MS.
<br />
<br />Good news would be that if it is MS it was about 7 years between exasserbations. So that would lead me to believe that it is the milder type (relapsing-remitting).
<br />
<br />My stepmom has MS (primary progressive) and unfortunately she has a type that is severly disabling.
<br />
<br />-------------
<br />
<br />All that being said...
<br />Does anyone here have their own medical conditions that make it more difficult to care for your CF child? How do you handle that?

Buckeye

I don't have any medical issues that make it more difficult to deal with my son, but I wanted to say that I am so sorry about your MS diagnosis. One of my sisters has MS and she has gone quite a few years between exacerbations also. She's known about the MS for about 10 years and only has had two flare ups so far. They have some drugs out there now that can really slow down the progress of it and keep the exacerbations down - the one she was on is Avonex. Anyhow, wanted to say for the most part her life is fairly normal. Hope all goes well with the MRI.

Buckeye

I don't have any medical issues that make it more difficult to deal with my son, but I wanted to say that I am so sorry about your MS diagnosis. One of my sisters has MS and she has gone quite a few years between exacerbations also. She's known about the MS for about 10 years and only has had two flare ups so far. They have some drugs out there now that can really slow down the progress of it and keep the exacerbations down - the one she was on is Avonex. Anyhow, wanted to say for the most part her life is fairly normal. Hope all goes well with the MRI.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

H

hopesiris

Feel free to stop by the pregnancy board, some of us have older babies and toddlers. Not the same situation as yours but can't hurt to post if you have any specific challenges with your daily routine. My MIL has MS.

H

hopesiris

Feel free to stop by the pregnancy board, some of us have older babies and toddlers. Not the same situation as yours but can't hurt to post if you have any specific challenges with your daily routine. My MIL has MS.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

<br />
<br />

MicheleGazelle

I have atypical CF and so does my 21 year old son. Both my sons have other handicaps as well. I was a homemaker and homeschooling mom for a long time. Now I am divorced and work a full time job. Yes, there have been times when it was really, really hard. As we have figured out how to get healthy while living with CF, things have gotten better. They are far from ideal. I did a lot to arrange to reduce how much housework we have to do by just getting rid of stuff, arranging the household to be as convenient as possible for us, etc. That helps.

MicheleGazelle

I have atypical CF and so does my 21 year old son. Both my sons have other handicaps as well. I was a homemaker and homeschooling mom for a long time. Now I am divorced and work a full time job. Yes, there have been times when it was really, really hard. As we have figured out how to get healthy while living with CF, things have gotten better. They are far from ideal. I did a lot to arrange to reduce how much housework we have to do by just getting rid of stuff, arranging the household to be as convenient as possible for us, etc. That helps.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle