Pari e-Rapid versus Pari boy compressor with Lc Plus nublizer efficiency

José Coelho

Hi
My 9 year old daughter has CF Double Delta508 mutation.
We have found that she had CF two year ago.

When we found that she had CF, she had Tobrimicine for some months.
She always has Pulmozine.

She always uses Pari boy compressor with Lc Plus nublizer.
For us, the problem with Pari boy compressor is the noise.
For us, treatement time is not a problem.

Pary e-rapid is a new device that is very silent and quicker.

The usage of the Pari e-rapid (with Pulmozine and Tobrimicine)
is as efficient as with the Pari boy compressor with Lc Plus nublizer?

Thanks you for your help.
Best Regards

kenna2

Pulmozyine can be used with the Pari e-rapid. However, Tobi SHOULD NOT be used with it. There is a specific way the e-rapid neb breaks down the medicine that allows the med to be delivered effectively but it only works with certain medications. Tobi is not one of them and should be used with a regular nebulizer. An alternative med that can be used with the Pari e-rapid is Cayston. I've had to switch over to Cayston after I lost my hearing due to overuse of Tobi.

Last edited:

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The psi isn't strong enough for Tobi with the pari e-rapid and pari trek. So you don't get all the medicine.

Has your Pari boy always been noisy or has it just occurred over time? We had issues with ds' first Pari (can't remember the name -- it's now Pari Vios), got louder and treatment time took longer. Same with the Pari Vios. With the amount of time he spent nebulizing, they would wear out. Fortunately, the warranty was 3-5 years, so I'd contact the company and they'd send out a new one and I'd send back the old one. We primarily use the Pari Vios for travel and use a heavy duty 50 psi Invacare Mobilaire for our every day nebs. We've also used a devilbiss pulmoaide in the past, which was bigger and we loved, but had issues when we needed warranty work -- we couldn't just send it in, we had to go through a medical provider.

José Coelho

Hi
Thank you all for your fast help.

-Now, i'm even more confused.
Everybody are saying that Pari e-rapid SHOULD NOT be used to nebulize Tobramycin.

On Pari WebSite, Pari says that Pari e-rapid CAN be used to nebulize Tobramycin.
https://www.pari.com/fileadmin/user...c/de/Docs/178D1053-EN-eFlow-rapid-Handout.pdf
https://www.pari.com/fileadmin/user...s/178D0048-EN-eFlow-rapid-klinische-Daten.pdf
Can you explain?

-Our compressor Pary Boy is a new one and was always noisy.

-My Question remains: The usage of the Pari e-rapid (with Pulmozine and Tobrimicine)
is as efficient as with the Pari boy compressor with Lc Plus nebulizer?

Best Regards

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I think there may be confusion with the name --- Eflow vs. E-rapid. Just like we have Pari Vios and where you're located it's called a Pari Boy. I don't have any experience with the Pari E-rapid, but hopefully someone on this site has experience with the Pari E-flow, which is what this appears to be called here in the states. When Pari first came out with the E-flow, I believe they were some posts discussing using it. Here's a link to a former member of this site, Amy who looked into using the E-flow for antibiotics. http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/search/label/eFlow

I apologize as my only experience is when I looked into the Pari Trek, which is a different system all together.

José Coelho

José Coelho

MissAlexsBP

Hello,

@Imogene reached out to PARI in an effort to help sort out any confusion with the PARI e-flow machines. We’d like to thank PARI for their prompt attention to our question!

I learned something while reading the materials that were sent by PARI. The e-flow nebulizer system is the nebulizer device (base). The e-Rapid nebulizer is a general nebulizer kit/handset (like the PARI LC Plus kit/handset).

As to the medication/e-flow compatibility question - Per PARI’s clarification, “Any medication that is prescribed for a jet nebulizer machine can be used with eRapid handset at the discretion of the prescribing healthcare provider… Pulmozyme is FDA approved to be used with eRapid handset. Unlike Pulmozyme, other medications have not been formally studied with eRapid handset in large clinical trials... Individuals should speak to their healthcare provider to discuss which nebulizer system is most appropriate for their specific situation… Pulmozyme is approved with the eRapid Nebulizer System. However, the eRapid Nebulizer System is a general-purpose nebulizer and can be used with medications prescribed by a physician or HCP, much like the LC PLUS jet nebulizer which is FDA cleared as a general purpose nebulizer.”

The e-Rapid nebulizer handset is not to be confused with the Altera handset, which works with the e-flow nebulizer, but Altera is specifically for the medicine, Cayston – not for general use like the e-Rapid.

As to your first question, @José Coelho, I personally have only used the e-flow nebulizer base with the Altera handset for Cayston. I can say the e-flow is MUCH faster than my PARI LC Plus and DEVILBISS nebulizer and at least with Altera, the e-flow is virtually silent. I will look into nebulizers regarding the sounds/noise level they produce.

I am not familiar with the PARI BOY. PARI noted in their reply that some of the documents referenced earlier in the thread were from the PARI Germany website, not the U.S. website, which could have added to the confusion; German recommendations are different than in the U.S.

We are also working on a blog referencing PARI’s website and recommendations.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Imogene

Administrator
Interesting! We have NEVER had a professional reply to our questions about nebs and cleaning...this is significant!
Thanks PARI!
Imogene