partially collapsed lung

Anomie

We got the results of my daughters ct scan and her right lower lobe is partially collapsed. Has anybody had any experience with this? Did it reverse on its own or lead to full collapse? Is anybody familiar with PEEP? Please help. She's only 4 and we're trying to give her the best start in life but this has us kind of worried.
<strong></strong>

Anomie

We got the results of my daughters ct scan and her right lower lobe is partially collapsed. Has anybody had any experience with this? Did it reverse on its own or lead to full collapse? Is anybody familiar with PEEP? Please help. She's only 4 and we're trying to give her the best start in life but this has us kind of worried.
<strong></strong>

Keelyisbored

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I don't have any experience and I'm sorry I have nothing to add. I hope your little girl gets better soon. x

Keelyisbored

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I don't have any experience and I'm sorry I have nothing to add. I hope your little girl gets better soon. x

C

cfsucks

i had a partial collapse about 2 months ago. it was accompanied with subcutaneous emphazema (sp)... which is air bubbles in tissues essentially. i was clinically stable so they let me go and let it heal on it's own. the bubbles subsided about 4-7 days later. i was told not to do any heavy lifting/flying for at least 6 weeks. ask the doctors if she should continue treatments, and cpt.
about 2 weeks later i was still feeling crummy so i was put on iv's. i definetely think that aided in the healing. and to mention i was feeling crummy before the collapse as well.
i hope she does well!

C

cfsucks

i had a partial collapse about 2 months ago. it was accompanied with subcutaneous emphazema (sp)... which is air bubbles in tissues essentially. i was clinically stable so they let me go and let it heal on it's own. the bubbles subsided about 4-7 days later. i was told not to do any heavy lifting/flying for at least 6 weeks. ask the doctors if she should continue treatments, and cpt.
about 2 weeks later i was still feeling crummy so i was put on iv's. i definetely think that aided in the healing. and to mention i was feeling crummy before the collapse as well.
i hope she does well!

minimedic304

I had this very thing happen to me last year. We placed a chest tube in for 5 days, which was painful to say the least. After the tube was removed it partially collapsed again. This time I opted out to letting it heal on its own. A lung will re-inflate itself 1% a day. If she is not having any distress then I would stay away from doing a chest tube. The tube will cause perminate scaring which can affect her down the road if a transplant is needed. When they say bed rest figure about a month of doing nothing !!! not lifting more then 3 pounds, going on IV antibiotics is a good idea to keep down inflammation and causing more stress on the lung walls and possible have a full blown collapse.

minimedic304

I had this very thing happen to me last year. We placed a chest tube in for 5 days, which was painful to say the least. After the tube was removed it partially collapsed again. This time I opted out to letting it heal on its own. A lung will re-inflate itself 1% a day. If she is not having any distress then I would stay away from doing a chest tube. The tube will cause perminate scaring which can affect her down the road if a transplant is needed. When they say bed rest figure about a month of doing nothing !!! not lifting more then 3 pounds, going on IV antibiotics is a good idea to keep down inflammation and causing more stress on the lung walls and possible have a full blown collapse.

theLostMiler

She should be on oxygen also, if you forgo the chest tube, 24 hour o2 will help it heal faster.

Mine were not painful, though I am sorry to see that she is so young and having this. Also no huff coughing or pfts, you want to not increase pressure in your airways at all.

theLostMiler

She should be on oxygen also, if you forgo the chest tube, 24 hour o2 will help it heal faster.

Mine were not painful, though I am sorry to see that she is so young and having this. Also no huff coughing or pfts, you want to not increase pressure in your airways at all.