Patiently Waiting for a Call

cnsky54RRT

Funny to get an email from the CF Forums today, it being the third anniversary of Heather's passing in ICU. I marked it by stepping out the door of an airplane yesterday, the top of Heather's Bucket list that we did not get to do. No jumpsuit this time, just a bathing suit, sandals, and one of our fundraiser 'Hero for Heather' t-shirts. And rather than fall 10,000 ft, I opened up right away, and drifted 2 miles up, eventually settling to the ground. I told the jumpers there that it was a special occasion for losing someone I love, and I needed to get out and 'talk to the angels' for awhile.

I continue as part of her family: little Mackinzie is my goddaughter, and not so little any more. Almost 12, heading for Grade 6, smart and pretty as her mom. I have been driving her to school and back these years, and she is on my cell phone plan, happily using up our GBs and unlimited texts. We go horse riding, motorbike riding, do homework, and order her mom's favourite coffee at the coffee stand, a white chocolate Carmel frappachinno. She has initial retainers in her teeth, with more involved work to start next Spring. We don't leave mom out either. We carve a pumpkin for her gravesite on Hallowe'en, and put up a small tree with lights at Xmas. I shovel off the grave every time it snows so Heather's older family members can visit without wondering where she is. Sometimes it is hard with Kinzie living with grandparents, but they are solid loving people, and have kindly allowed me into their lives to be there for whatever Mackinzie needs (or WANTS, as young girls are prone to have increasing and confusing desires). Mostly, despite the trials of her early years, I want her to have a loved and supported childhood to make up for the past. Now, please don't rush into boyfriends!!

At least we kept Heather four extra months after the transplant. I wish all of you waiting and those coping with a new transplant that you achieve strength and health, and that you ALL amaze the doctors by going on for MANY years to be with your loved ones...

John g