Pediasure 1.5 vs Carnation

kitomd21

Just realized Carnation has a lot more calories per 8oz - 560 vs 350! DDs weight is okay on Pediasure, but why didn't her dietician recommend Carnation first (i.e., when she was severely underweight)? Which do you use? Why one over the other?

kitomd21

Just realized Carnation has a lot more calories per 8oz - 560 vs 350! DDs weight is okay on Pediasure, but why didn't her dietician recommend Carnation first (i.e., when she was severely underweight)? Which do you use? Why one over the other?

SARAHSARAH253

My son will only drink Carnation w/whole milk. Each week I buy 3 boxes of it. I just buy it in the store, but its not the super high cal kind. He loooooves it!!

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny 4 w/cf bad Bailey 2/no cf

SARAHSARAH253

My son will only drink Carnation w/whole milk. Each week I buy 3 boxes of it. I just buy it in the store, but its not the super high cal kind. He loooooves it!!

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny 4 w/cf bad Bailey 2/no cf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We used to get carnation VHC from the Creon program, but DS hated it, was too thick and he accused me of putting butter in it. I've always bought carnation instant breakfast powder from sams club or costco and mix it with whole milk and cream. Make a quart at a time and keep it in the fridge.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We used to get carnation VHC from the Creon program, but DS hated it, was too thick and he accused me of putting butter in it. I've always bought carnation instant breakfast powder from sams club or costco and mix it with whole milk and cream. Make a quart at a time and keep it in the fridge.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My friends daughter loves the Carnation VHC and drinks several through out the day, so she got all the extra cases DS wouldn't eat. I now order the enlive "juice" instead, which ds drinks with snacks

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My friends daughter loves the Carnation VHC and drinks several through out the day, so she got all the extra cases DS wouldn't eat. I now order the enlive "juice" instead, which ds drinks with snacks

JennyCoulon

My oldest uses the Carnation VHC which is the 560 calories per can when he is doing his tube feedings at night. For my middle child he won't drink any of those milk based drinks so we have also gone with the Enlive juice boxes which really help. Hope this helps

JennyCoulon

My oldest uses the Carnation VHC which is the 560 calories per can when he is doing his tube feedings at night. For my middle child he won't drink any of those milk based drinks so we have also gone with the Enlive juice boxes which really help. Hope this helps

rmotion

Here is my two cents.
These drinks offer nothing but empty dead nutrition calories not to mention just sweetened milk with synthetic nutrients. If this is all a kid will eat that is one thing but you need nutrition not just calories. Dairy is not good for CF's because makes too much mucus. High glycemic sugar spikes blood sugars. Chocolate is also getting more bad press with Cf becasue it conflicts with CFTR* Verdict still out on this one but something to look into.
Here is a great smoothie with natural ingredients, gluten free and dairy free and tons of calories made with real food! Oh and tastes great.
Almond Milk Smoothie
1 Cup of Almond Milk
1 Banana
2 tbl honey
2 tbl rice protein
3-4 tbl of almond butter
1/2 cup ice
mix in blender, yum 700 calories!

rmotion

Here is my two cents.
These drinks offer nothing but empty dead nutrition calories not to mention just sweetened milk with synthetic nutrients. If this is all a kid will eat that is one thing but you need nutrition not just calories. Dairy is not good for CF's because makes too much mucus. High glycemic sugar spikes blood sugars. Chocolate is also getting more bad press with Cf becasue it conflicts with CFTR* Verdict still out on this one but something to look into.
Here is a great smoothie with natural ingredients, gluten free and dairy free and tons of calories made with real food! Oh and tastes great.
Almond Milk Smoothie
1 Cup of Almond Milk
1 Banana
2 tbl honey
2 tbl rice protein
3-4 tbl of almond butter
1/2 cup ice
mix in blender, yum 700 calories!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
If DS would eat that, I'd be all for making smoothies or anything else he wants. Unfortunately, he's the king of picky eaters. We introduce him to new things all the time and gradually is expanding his palate. Meanwhile, if this is how I can sneak in extra calories with CIB made with whole milk and cream...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
If DS would eat that, I'd be all for making smoothies or anything else he wants. Unfortunately, he's the king of picky eaters. We introduce him to new things all the time and gradually is expanding his palate. Meanwhile, if this is how I can sneak in extra calories with CIB made with whole milk and cream...