Physiotherapy vests for baby's with CF, are they effective?

Shelley

Hi everyone,

I am new to the CF world so need some advice if possible.

I had my 3rd child on the 20th August this year and she was admitted to hospital the following day due to a bowel blockage, 7 days later we recieved the devasting news that she has CF. Me and my partner were not even aware we were carriers so this came as a huge shock. Life doesn't feel real right now and I am struggling to get through each day.

I have been researching treatments on line and have seen in America (I'm in the UK) that many people with CF have the physiothearapy vests. Are these vests effective? Is anyone aware of any studies which have been carried out to determine the effectiveness of them? Are they available in the UK (I have looked but can not find any)? They aren't available on the NHS, does anyone from the UK know the current cost as of 2018?

I feel so mentally weak at the moment and I really want my daughter to be strong when facing CF, how can I try to make sure I don't make her as scared of CF as I am?

I'm absolutely petrified of the journey ahead so if you have any words of advice they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Shelley xx

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Take it one step at a time. She's still a normal baby, who just needs a few extra medications and treatments to keep her happy and healthy. In the states on can get a vest by age 1, our doctors preferred waiting a few years and doing cpt. He felt it was a better treatments doing chest physio, so one could focus on problem areas, but the vest is so convenient. Cpt patting several different regions of chest and back for 20-30 minutes a day, 2-4 times a day an be daunting. I believe there are people in the UK with vests, hopefully someone with the CF trust can point you in the right direction