PICC line arm pain

mamaScarlett

Anyone ever have this?<br>I'm wondering if my PICC could be laying on a nerve or something. To be clear, I don't have any pain at the site, or swelling, or hotness, or fever. So its not an infection. <br>From day one, I'm getting this pain running from the back of my elbow area all the way to my fingers, occasionally I'll feel it on my upper arm too but I notice it more in my lower arm.<br>It hurts! And its driving me nuts. <br>I dont know if its a nerve or what, or just me being more sore from holding the baby alot.<br>

mamaScarlett

Anyone ever have this?<br>I'm wondering if my PICC could be laying on a nerve or something. To be clear, I don't have any pain at the site, or swelling, or hotness, or fever. So its not an infection. <br>From day one, I'm getting this pain running from the back of my elbow area all the way to my fingers, occasionally I'll feel it on my upper arm too but I notice it more in my lower arm.<br>It hurts! And its driving me nuts. <br>I dont know if its a nerve or what, or just me being more sore from holding the baby alot.<br>

beleache

I have had discomfort from a picc leaning on a nerve. I have also had discomfort from a clot in my armpit .. Hope it stops bothering you . <3 joni

beleache

I have had discomfort from a picc leaning on a nerve. I have also had discomfort from a clot in my armpit .. Hope it stops bothering you . <3 joni

LouLou

how many days have you been doing your IV antibiotic therapy? It's likely one or the other of the things Joni mentioned. The only solution is pulling it. I'm not sure the nerve pain is damaging but the clot can be dangerous if left unattended. I think a call to the doc is in order. Maybe she can order an ultrasound to chk for a clot at a local radiology office so you don't have to go in to see her or get further exposure by going to a hospital. Have you considered a port? I think if you'll use it 1-2 times her year its worth it.

LouLou

how many days have you been doing your IV antibiotic therapy? It's likely one or the other of the things Joni mentioned. The only solution is pulling it. I'm not sure the nerve pain is damaging but the clot can be dangerous if left unattended. I think a call to the doc is in order. Maybe she can order an ultrasound to chk for a clot at a local radiology office so you don't have to go in to see her or get further exposure by going to a hospital. Have you considered a port? I think if you'll use it 1-2 times her year its worth it.

mamaScarlett

I considered a port, but the nurses are saying that since I average IVs every 1-2 yrs its probably not worth it yet.<br>I'm going to call the doc tomorrow. Want to rule out a clot. Don't even know what pain from a clot would feel like. <br>Another thing that makes me suspect a nerve is that when I cough it gets worse, like tingling in my arm. Anyone ever have that? It sounds crazy, I know...but I know I'm not imagining it. Everything else checks out fine-all my vitals, o2, etc. Its really weird.<br><br>I'm on day 10 of IV abx. But my levels came back initially way too high, so they had to stop Tobra for 3 days (so frustrating), then they adjusted levels and began again, but they came back too high once again. Stopped for 1 day, then restarted at my current dosage. So I'm on day 10 of Ceftaz, but really only day 5/6 of Tobra.<br>

mamaScarlett

I considered a port, but the nurses are saying that since I average IVs every 1-2 yrs its probably not worth it yet.<br>I'm going to call the doc tomorrow. Want to rule out a clot. Don't even know what pain from a clot would feel like. <br>Another thing that makes me suspect a nerve is that when I cough it gets worse, like tingling in my arm. Anyone ever have that? It sounds crazy, I know...but I know I'm not imagining it. Everything else checks out fine-all my vitals, o2, etc. Its really weird.<br><br>I'm on day 10 of IV abx. But my levels came back initially way too high, so they had to stop Tobra for 3 days (so frustrating), then they adjusted levels and began again, but they came back too high once again. Stopped for 1 day, then restarted at my current dosage. So I'm on day 10 of Ceftaz, but really only day 5/6 of Tobra.<br>

mamaScarlett

Ok, this is a bit more concerning. I just looked in the mirror to see anything suspicious. I forgot I had this bruise. I've had it ever since I came home from the PICC insertion. It doesn't hurt, and my arm has been covered up so I forgot about it. <br>It is small now, but its been 12 days and its still there. (thats odd to me, don't recall having a bruise so long) I rubbed it, and it doesn't hurt, but I can feel a small lump underneath it.<br><br>I will go to the hospital if its warranted, its just that I have done this so many times for so many 'things' and 9 times out of 10 its for absolutely no reason. I don't feel like sitting in a disgusting flu filled hospital for 9 hrs for no reason. But obviously if I have to, I'll go. (not to mention what the heck type of person will I end up seeing on xmas day??)<br>

mamaScarlett

Ok, this is a bit more concerning. I just looked in the mirror to see anything suspicious. I forgot I had this bruise. I've had it ever since I came home from the PICC insertion. It doesn't hurt, and my arm has been covered up so I forgot about it. <br>It is small now, but its been 12 days and its still there. (thats odd to me, don't recall having a bruise so long) I rubbed it, and it doesn't hurt, but I can feel a small lump underneath it.<br><br>I will go to the hospital if its warranted, its just that I have done this so many times for so many 'things' and 9 times out of 10 its for absolutely no reason. I don't feel like sitting in a disgusting flu filled hospital for 9 hrs for no reason. But obviously if I have to, I'll go. (not to mention what the heck type of person will I end up seeing on xmas day??)<br>

mamaScarlett

Sorry guys been a crazy week.<br>Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.<br>Turns out my PICC is fine, but its laying on a nerve. Called the nurse (xmas day) she said if Motrin doesn't cover the pain, or if there is even remote redness, itching, swelling, or temp over 100 to come in. There wasn't. The next day we checked it out. Its laying right over a nerve near my clavicle. Its harmless, basically. Just a pain. Literally. The pain comes and goes though.<br>I knew it was nerve related-everytime I cough or strain myself the pain is stronger. <br>So I could opt to have it pulled. But its not worth it to me. Just have to deal with it till IVs are done.<br>Its funny-I could just tell when it was going in that something was different.<br>

mamaScarlett

Sorry guys been a crazy week.<br>Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.<br>Turns out my PICC is fine, but its laying on a nerve. Called the nurse (xmas day) she said if Motrin doesn't cover the pain, or if there is even remote redness, itching, swelling, or temp over 100 to come in. There wasn't. The next day we checked it out. Its laying right over a nerve near my clavicle. Its harmless, basically. Just a pain. Literally. The pain comes and goes though.<br>I knew it was nerve related-everytime I cough or strain myself the pain is stronger. <br>So I could opt to have it pulled. But its not worth it to me. Just have to deal with it till IVs are done.<br>Its funny-I could just tell when it was going in that something was different.<br>

mamaScarlett

FWIW they're telling me that when I feel a spasm coming on, shrugging your shoulder repeatedly helps and applying warm compresses to your forearm-NOT on or right by the PICC, but where the nerve pain is.<br>

mamaScarlett

FWIW they're telling me that when I feel a spasm coming on, shrugging your shoulder repeatedly helps and applying warm compresses to your forearm-NOT on or right by the PICC, but where the nerve pain is.<br>