picc line help

dream2live

<strong>In my opinion, it might be time to stop PICC lines and go ahead and have a port implanted. PICC lines leaves scars, lots of skin irritation like u said, but the most important thing, it makes it very easy for bacteria to enter the line, especially if the nurse is not taking all the precautions of gloving and masking up. I decided to have a port implanted because the veins in both of my arms were "blowing" or "rolling". The only maintenance issue is the port has to be flushed once a month with saline and heperin, so the port does not "clot off" (I have had my port since 2006).</strong>
<strong>Hope all goes well for you and your child. I love the information I need/receive when I need to ask a question, because I'm getting the answers from the real experts; the patient or patient's helper!!!!!</strong>
<strong></strong>

dream2live

<strong>In my opinion, it might be time to stop PICC lines and go ahead and have a port implanted. PICC lines leaves scars, lots of skin irritation like u said, but the most important thing, it makes it very easy for bacteria to enter the line, especially if the nurse is not taking all the precautions of gloving and masking up. I decided to have a port implanted because the veins in both of my arms were "blowing" or "rolling". The only maintenance issue is the port has to be flushed once a month with saline and heperin, so the port does not "clot off" (I have had my port since 2006).</strong>
<strong>Hope all goes well for you and your child. I love the information I need/receive when I need to ask a question, because I'm getting the answers from the real experts; the patient or patient's helper!!!!!</strong>
<strong></strong>

JustDucky

I too had terrible times with PICC lines, my skin hated the tegaderms, would also blister and my dressing had to be changed often because of the irritation that was caused from my sweating skin. I think that is because of our super salty skin..Because of this, bacteria always somehow contaminated my PICC and I was bacteremic many times, no matter how well the site was taken care of. Due to this, I opted for a Port, which was so much better right off the bat. Perhaps it should be considered because he is having so much trouble with PICCs. Even with a port, I have to change my dressing more frequently than usual because of the sweating, irritation issue, but it is much easier to deal with because my port is in my chest and not subject to movement like an arm.. The needle is also much smaller than a PICC catheter.
I hope you find something that works, but it may be time to look into a port

Jenn 40 wCF

JustDucky

I too had terrible times with PICC lines, my skin hated the tegaderms, would also blister and my dressing had to be changed often because of the irritation that was caused from my sweating skin. I think that is because of our super salty skin..Because of this, bacteria always somehow contaminated my PICC and I was bacteremic many times, no matter how well the site was taken care of. Due to this, I opted for a Port, which was so much better right off the bat. Perhaps it should be considered because he is having so much trouble with PICCs. Even with a port, I have to change my dressing more frequently than usual because of the sweating, irritation issue, but it is much easier to deal with because my port is in my chest and not subject to movement like an arm.. The needle is also much smaller than a PICC catheter.
I hope you find something that works, but it may be time to look into a port

Jenn 40 wCF

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
If keeping cool is the problem you wish to solve, I had an experience that might help. While surveying outside of Sundance Wyoming an unusual summer mid day temperatures were 120+ F, with 75% humidity. Being a CFer, this was intolerable. I fashioned a "cold vest" that was a life saver. Starting with an army surplus vest, I fitted all t he existing pockets with a net fabric, adding a large pocket using the collar. I filled the pockets with dry ice and dropped it in a cooler until I needed it. It was heaven. If you are following my drift, a collar and sleeve will keep the area cool and with dry ice, no water to muck the bandage up. Anyone wanting more information on my design or an adaptation like a single sleeve, feel free to contact me personally. This wasn't my first cold vest. I sent several for my brother and some friends in Viet Nam to encourage wearing flak jackets. Dry ice wasn't available so I provided cold packs that were simple chemicals.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
If keeping cool is the problem you wish to solve, I had an experience that might help. While surveying outside of Sundance Wyoming an unusual summer mid day temperatures were 120+ F, with 75% humidity. Being a CFer, this was intolerable. I fashioned a "cold vest" that was a life saver. Starting with an army surplus vest, I fitted all t he existing pockets with a net fabric, adding a large pocket using the collar. I filled the pockets with dry ice and dropped it in a cooler until I needed it. It was heaven. If you are following my drift, a collar and sleeve will keep the area cool and with dry ice, no water to muck the bandage up. Anyone wanting more information on my design or an adaptation like a single sleeve, feel free to contact me personally. This wasn't my first cold vest. I sent several for my brother and some friends in Viet Nam to encourage wearing flak jackets. Dry ice wasn't available so I provided cold packs that were simple chemicals.