PICC line

justdance

I'm curious to know if anyone else feels heart palpitations from a PICC line which extends into the heart atrium?
I was told it could happen and won't cause any damage but still...it bothers me to think of my heart getting involved when it's such a well behaved organ!

justdance

I'm curious to know if anyone else feels heart palpitations from a PICC line which extends into the heart atrium?
I was told it could happen and won't cause any damage but still...it bothers me to think of my heart getting involved when it's such a well behaved organ!

Havoc

PICC line tips are meant to sit in the SVC, and nowhere else. If they have confirmed the tip is in the right atrium they should pull the line back and shoot another CXR.

Havoc

PICC line tips are meant to sit in the SVC, and nowhere else. If they have confirmed the tip is in the right atrium they should pull the line back and shoot another CXR.

kayers3

This happened to me before. I was in the hospital and nurses kept bolting in my room to see if everything was okay. The doc realized it was the picc, they pulled it back and the heart palpitations stopped.

kayers3

This happened to me before. I was in the hospital and nurses kept bolting in my room to see if everything was okay. The doc realized it was the picc, they pulled it back and the heart palpitations stopped.

saveferris2009

Yup I get that every time when I lay in certain positions. I think the PICC just hits a certain part of the SVC that causes the heart to palpitate.

So I just try now to lay down in those certain positions and usually it's fine. It's a crazy feeling, isn't it?

saveferris2009

Yup I get that every time when I lay in certain positions. I think the PICC just hits a certain part of the SVC that causes the heart to palpitate.

So I just try now to lay down in those certain positions and usually it's fine. It's a crazy feeling, isn't it?

M

MCGrad2006

Yup have had that problem before! Usually only when I would lay a certain way though and if I moved it would go away.

M

MCGrad2006

Yup have had that problem before! Usually only when I would lay a certain way though and if I moved it would go away.

JustDucky

If the tip goes too far into the right atrium of the heart, palpitations are likely to occur, once the line is pulled back, then all should be well. That's why they take xrays once the PICC is placed, to make sure that the tip isn't too far advanced. If you are having palpitations with position changes, then the line should be pulled back further to prevent that from happening.

Jenn 40wCF

JustDucky

If the tip goes too far into the right atrium of the heart, palpitations are likely to occur, once the line is pulled back, then all should be well. That's why they take xrays once the PICC is placed, to make sure that the tip isn't too far advanced. If you are having palpitations with position changes, then the line should be pulled back further to prevent that from happening.

Jenn 40wCF

justdance

No the tip is well into the atrium, I saw it on the scan monitor flailing about with ever heart beat. Apparently this is the latest recommendation to avoid PICC-associated narrowing of the vessels. I specifically asked why it needed to be in so far and that's what the radiologist said.

The palpitations have eased and the line will be removed in 9 days so I'm not too worried. Jonathan I know you're a paramedic (?), have you not heard this as a new recommendation?

justdance

No the tip is well into the atrium, I saw it on the scan monitor flailing about with ever heart beat. Apparently this is the latest recommendation to avoid PICC-associated narrowing of the vessels. I specifically asked why it needed to be in so far and that's what the radiologist said.

The palpitations have eased and the line will be removed in 9 days so I'm not too worried. Jonathan I know you're a paramedic (?), have you not heard this as a new recommendation?

Havoc

No, I haven't. I'll see what I can find online, but I just had a PICC placed as a precaution a few weeks ago and it was in the SVC.

Havoc

No, I haven't. I'll see what I can find online, but I just had a PICC placed as a precaution a few weeks ago and it was in the SVC.