pickles anyone?

L

lrs2015

I do not have cf...but my daughter does. She's one and seems to really like pickles. So I was wondering uf a sodium thing or if a pickle taste thing. Anyone with cf love pickles? Does it make you feel better. Anyone drink the juice? I once read that one shot of pickle juice has as much electrolytes as a bottle of gaterade. But I dunno how true that is.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I don't have CF (DS does), but have the CF salt craving and still will eat a spoonful of salt at times (but also have the CF carriers low blood presure) and I LOVE pickles...it seems to satisfy that salty craving.

ethan508

I don't care for pickles, but pass me the salt shaker at every meal. I've also heard of runners drinking pickle juice post workout but I prefer a bowl of cereal personally.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I love pickles!!! I crave anything salty. Now I'm craving a pickle lol... My pain management Dr. Said a spoonful of pickle juice is good for muscle aches. Haven't really noticed a difference with as many pickles as I eat. My powerful salty breath is sometimes too much for my husband! :D

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I love pickles!!! I crave anything salty. Now I'm craving a pickle lol... My pain management Dr. Said a spoonful of pickle juice is good for muscle aches. Haven't really noticed a difference with as many pickles as I eat. My powerful salty breath is sometimes too much for my husband! :D

That's so weird you saying that because I've said to DH so many times that DS's breath smeels salty but thought it was in my head. Does breath really smell salty?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
ds loves pickles, drinks pickle juice. Sometimes he asks for a bowl of pickle slices for a snack. When he was younger he'd sometimes salt his chocolate chip cookies, calling them salt cookies. Tends to like saltier snacks such as peanuts, sunflower seeds, chips. I keep a salt shaker in the car and he takes hits off it on warmer days when I pick him up from daycare.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Both of my kids love pickles, one with CF and one without. My daughter with CF carries salt packets in her lunch box for school/camp. Even in my and her purse, especially in the summer.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Yup.....pickle juice and olives. My guy won't eat pickles but sucks on them and drinks the juice. He will eat an entire jar of olives if you let him. I keep salt packets (from Sam's Club) in his lunch box and the car. Sometimes he carries them in his pockets.

AboveAll.....where did you discover that carriers tend to have low blood pressure!!!! Fascinating. My husband's is so low I wonder how he stays upright!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I love pickles! And olives. My husband doesn't like either one so more for me! I also have super low blood pressure. Didn't know that was a CF thing. Curious!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Well, people with high blood pressure are supposed to eat low salt diets. So for them, LESS salt equals lower BP. The opposite of what's happening in CF and in CF carriers. That's as much as I can connect......Little Lab? Anyone can connect the dots?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Here's the link: http://uvicf.org/researchnewsite/carrierhealth/
A CF mom shared with me when I was laughing about the doctor saying during my physical after taking my low low blood preassure that the stress isn't showing through there. Always had very low blood pressure but never know of the connection. Claimed I had "good" genes...little did I know they weren't!

dmac

My sodium number is always down and I have to add salt to everything I can. Unfortunately, my cardiologist would like me to stop using so much salt as I have HIGH blood pressure and have to take a medication for it. So there goes the "low blood pressure" idea for all cf patients. I have CF.

imported_Momto2

I love pickles or anything salty. Soy sauce is good on anything and tuna fish is best when crunchy with salt crystals :) OK, I'm hungry now.....

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I have high blood pressure. Take meds for it. Never heard of this being a CF related issue.

Another food I love that is very salty are Bugels! The crunchy things that look like pointed fingers lol I used to eat them off my fingers as a kid. My husband hates when I eat those to. haha Will not kiss me :p

Adiboo33

Sourkraut!

I do not have cf...but my daughter does. She's one and seems to really like pickles. So I was wondering uf a sodium thing or if a pickle taste thing. Anyone with cf love pickles? Does it make you feel better. Anyone drink the juice? I once read that one shot of pickle juice has as much electrolytes as a bottle of gaterade. But I dunno how true that is.

I would also highly recommend sourkraut, just because there is some evidence apperantly that it is very good on your digestive system (while also answering the salt craving) http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/10/heal-gut-with-easy-homemade-sauerkraut.html

T

The Dot

I'm an RT - don't have CF - but I do have Lupus and a host of other chronic diseases that go along with that. I have had super low blood pressure all my life until I started on steroid therapy. However, I still have days when I just wake up feeling so sluggish and light-headed I can hardly function. On those days, I crave the pickles and pickle juice and they make me feel good again! I have a patient who has COPD and had been admitted and placed in ICU because of her low blood pressure a few times in the past. She finally learned to eat a pickle if she knew she would be coming to the ER or going to see the doctor so that her blood pressure would normalize. So, everything that you all are saying makes perfect sense to me!

Ank

Pickle are just taste enhancers..They have a lot of sodium and are AcIdic

Pickle will not make cfer feel better..You can compare it with tomato sauce.
There is nothing wrong in having pickle in small amount.
Mst ppl love pickle..and make
them in there home here.Its a part of daily diet