Picky eater and fighting 3 year old

mehlingfamily

Our little CFer is 3 1/2 years old. And she is a really picky eater. Currently all she wants to eat is baked potatoes with lots of butter and sour cream. What are your childs favorite foods? I am also looking for fun breakfast and dinner ideas....

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
At that age ds liked pasta with butter, spagettios which I doctored up with olive oil, cheese, plain hamburgers, pancakes, corn dogs, chicken strips, fish sticks, French fries, for snacks peanuts and sunflower seeds (in moderation as he does have some stomach issues)... He also liked aged cheddar. Think he got tired of mac & cheese. Since he was a toddler I've given him carnation instant breakfast mixed with whole milk and cream with his meals. Sometimes I'd take him grocery shopping with me to get him to pick things out... Was hit or miss.

These days he likes bacon, popcorn, steak, pizza, pepperoni, subway sandwiches with chicken breast & pepperoni, chicken patties, beef jerky, chicken breast sautéed in butter, peanut butter...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
One thing he likes to do at breakfast is make a face in his pancake with gogurt and fruit -- ala I-hop. There's octopus dogs --- make several lengthwise slices in a hot dog, leaving about an inch or so from the top, drop in boiling water and it make an octopus. Or wrap a hot dog in thin pieces of crescent roll dough to make "mummy dogs" and bake. Sandwiches, pancakes, slices of cheese made into shapes with cookie cutters.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Nutella by the spoonful and or dip pretzels, apples in it. oatmeal with added flax oil brown sugar and butter. chicken nuggets and french fries. mac and cheese. cheetos. beef jerky. steak with A1 sauce. To get your child to drink more use a fun cup and a fun straw. At one point I even would add a little cream to her whole milk. Just be careful when adding lots of fats; you may need to give a little more enzymes. I found my daughter could only take so much fat in one sitting.

Buttered bread; use cookie cutter to make cute shapes. Include your child in food choices, bring them to the grocery store and let them pick out something new to try!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I strongly recommend getting some of ellyn satters books, such as child of mine. Her approach to food and meals makes so much sense and for a happier mom and child. Pm me if you want more details.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
We kept our Cfers weight on with Ovaltine! It's fortified with vitamins, so it's better than mixing with chocolate or strawberry syrup which are pure sugar, it's not as heavy tasting as a Boost or similar drink, and it mixes easier (more completely) than Instant Breakfast mixes. And if you add an extra tablespoon to make it more chocolately, it's even better with more calories. This has worked not only when he was a toddler and being picky, but even today when he's not feeling well and doesn't want to eat. Ovaltine in whole milk. Even when he says he's full or not hungry, he says yes to a glass of Ovaltine. I think it's 240 calories in a cup of milk . . . but although that's not huge by itself, it can be when you are drinking 10 ounces with breakfast, 10 with morning snack, 10 with lunch, 10 with afternoon snack, 10 with dinner and 10 before bed! That's 1800 calories in a day before you eat! When he was little, we made sure he was carrying an Ovaltine sippy cup most of the day. And it's a simple change - no learning curve, no major changes, no adjustments, no psychology, no cajoling necessary. Just calories and "normal" taste. What child doesn't like the taste of chocolate milk! He was born at 5 pounds with a meconium ileus but he's maintained at around 75% for BMI for years now.
I have also discovered that most CFers love the taste of bacon . . . . they will eat up to a dozen crispy slices at a sitting! At the children's hospital, the CF nutritionist will tell you that more bacon is delivered to the CF floor than you can believe! Bacon with breakfast, bacon sandwiches, bacon cheeseburgers, bacon, bacon, bacon! Their little (and big) bodies are craving the fat.

Dowling

I'm a little late to the game, but thought I'd chime in . My daughter is 2 and she loves the food .

We do eggs with heavy whipping cream and cheese, with a side of grapes rolled in hemp hearts and coconut oil and yogurt with chia , cocoa and flax seeds for breakfast.
For lunch she likes grilled cheese made with pound cake instead of bread, with whole milk cheese cooked in duck fat ( high in linoleic acid)
For dinner I make pesto sauce from scratch ( basil, garlic, olive oil, pecorino cheese , pine nuts and salt. With manuka honey glazed carrots. That's one meal plan , but I wrote a whole book full of nutrition packed wholesome foods.
For snacks we do warm apple compote( apples sautéed in butter ),spirulina balls (YUMMY).
My 2 year old is thriving and she begs for most of this stuff