Pilots with CF

Dsnow1332

New to the forum and was diagnosed a year and a half ago with CF at the age of 33. I used the search fuction and found only a few people who have become successful as a pilot. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the trials and tribulations? After one year of fighting the FAA I was awarded a class three exemption on the medical. I'm currently finishing my hours and should be done in the next month or two.

leothelioness34

I'm not a pilot but my grandfather was a pilot in the Air Force and I have CF and I'm 34 so to hear that you're going to be a pilot that's amazing. I don't know what kind of issues you may have but it is great that you're able to achieve that. It makes me so happy when I see other CFers accomplish their dreams. There may not be too many successful pilots but that doesn't mean you can't be one. I'm sure you'll be a great pilot.

Dsnow1332

You can say that again! So far after submitting a stack of medical records 2 inches thick and one year of constant time I was successful. The good old FAA only uses snail mail for contact which takes about 6 weeks from portal to portal request. Thank goodness I was able to borrow a portable EKG with 12 lead, pulse oximetry and wave form capnograghy, I took it up on one flight for proof. One thing is certain I wasn't the first one with CF but everyone who tries and succeeds shows them we can reach for the skys.[h=1][/h]

W

welshwitch

Hiya! What a fantastic goal! I seem to remember reading through the years that having CF disqualifies one from being a pilot (and the army, and some other professions) but I can't seem to recall why. It sounds like BS to me and if you are willing, competent and able you should be able to. Are you going to be a commercial pilot? Stoked for you, GO GO GO!!!

Good for you, Dsnow. I'm 41 wcf and got my private pilot's license in my early 20's. I had to get a medical every year instead of every three if I remember right. I enjoyed flying for many years before I ultimately couldn't pass my medical any more. I don't remember if it was due to lung function too low or diabetes but either way, keep jumping through the hoops! Excited for you!

Dsnow1332

That was a great find on the article! It's funny I scuba/ free dive and work as a firefighter/ paramedic. I get exposed to all kinds of stuff on a regular interval and sure I pay the price for it. Flying has given me an opportunity to challenge what others tell you is impossible while enjoying every minute of it. I don't plan on trying for a commercial license but you never know the future.