Please be an Advocate for us!

kenna2

My doctor was telling me that a lot of CF clinics who see both adults and children at a children's hospital, will soon be transitioning CF adults to an adult hospital when admitted now. While part of me is excited that, Yay we're living longer and are going to be recognized in adult hospitals, I have a lot of concerns for us too. At my hospital, if the adult CF wing in the children's hospital is full, we are put on an overflow floor in the adult hospital. It's a complete nightmare there and because these nurses don't understand CF, our care is lacking and we have to be advocates for ourselves while there. It's difficult because as I'm sure many of you know there are times when we are so sick we can't always do that. All of my CF community at my hospital have been writing to the patient advocate office to make sure we get our concerns addressed and hopefully ironed out before this takes place. I would hope and encourage you guys to do the same. Any issues you have at all, please write to your hospital's patient advocate office. Let's take care of each other and be a voice of others when they can't be.