please help Looking to make hospital stay better

Ldude916

My hospital has a garden with benches outside near the cafeteria, so i am allowed to leave my room, get coffee and sit outside in the beautiful garden with friends for a while!

K

KimElliott

Good coffee! A french press or coffee maker or something like that!

K

KimElliott

K

KimElliott

ryry11

A selection of teenage movies. I was at a children's hospital. I was REALLY tired of Tangled and the Lion King by day 10. I would also love snacks and stuff that you don't have to request, if that's okay.

ryry11

A selection of teenage movies. I was at a children's hospital. I was REALLY tired of Tangled and the Lion King by day 10. I would also love snacks and stuff that you don't have to request, if that's okay.

Lena Bean

Honestly. The ability to watch movies, read books and access to the internet is what gets me through my hospital stays. My old hospital had laptops the patients could use if they didn't have their own. That was the best thing ever and they had a DVD thing like RedBox, only it was free.

Being in an adult hospital now though, I'm just happy to have WiFi available and a TV. My current hospital also has exercise bikes for the CF patients, which is incredible and I've never heard of before. And as everyone else has said, having a refrigerator and Microwave available is incredible-I miss it. As CFers we need to eat tons of calories, and having the ability to bring our own food is always awesome. I hate that my current hospital doesn't have that.

Also, nurses that are willing to talk and almost become my friend are always nice. When you spend a lot of time in the hospital, you get lonely, and it's nice to have a familiar, friendly face administering my meds, and even doing the painful things like sticking me. My only real complaint in my current hospital is there is nowhere to go out and enjoy the fresh air. So if the hospital you're at doesn't have something like that, that would probably be number one.

CyrilCrodius

This is a very well intentioned idea and the ideas given here are all good.... except it's a horrible idea.

Fridge, DVD player, game console, all those have an horrifying potential for cross infection. You can never properly disinfect remote controls, controllers and especially a fridge. Furniture that cannot be properly disinfected (made of fabric instead of leather or plastic) has to be avoided.
I think it's a bad idea to have a room dedicated to CF in any way. When they're put into different rooms, at least some bacteria that would be left by the previous CF patient would have time to die off before another CFer takes the same room, while it will likely not be the case with your CF room.

I am very surprised that it hasn't raised a red flag with anyone else and that people even went on to suggest things on which bacteria would thrive.

You could have a TV and a DVD player. However, you would have to ensure the controls cannot be accessed in any way on the TV and the DVD so the patients don't try to touch them. You would have to keep the remote controls, not allow them to touch them and tell them to buy a $15 universal controller for the TV and DVD player that they would bring every time they are in hospital and provide them with instructions on how to program it. If you want to have your own library of movies, don't give the patients the DVD boxes. Have the patients choose from a list in plastic protectors that can easily be disinfected and bring them the disc only. Disinfect the disc when they are done with it. It might be good to make copies since you're going to disinfect them.

Lena Bean : I wouldn't have touched those laptops with a 10 foot pole.

M

mgl

I think it's a bad idea to have a room dedicated to CF in any way. When they're put into different rooms, at least some bacteria that would be left by the previous CF patient would have time to die off before another CFer takes the same room, while it will likely not be the case with your CF room.

There are major advantages to having a dedicated CF ward - the doctors, physio, nutritionist, and others don't have to traipse all over a big city hospital to find you and the nurses are specialized and provide better care. I'm sitting in the hospital now with my partner who is sick. He's in a negative pressure room, too. The care in the CF ward is great and CF patients can order from a special menu. The only problem is the ancient hospital rooms - a new facility is planned but it's at least 5 years away. This wing must be from the forties or fifties and there are so many surfaces that are hard to clean. Even though the rooms are cleaned, I prefer to wipe the high touch surfaces myself on arrival.

But I agree with you on remote controls and the like. Hospitals should provide wifi and patients should bring tablets or laptops if they can afford them. Shared equipment should be minimized. A fridge is a necessity though for long stays.