Please Help

anonymous

Hi.My name is Patty.I have a 15 year old son with cf and I am at my wits end.I don't know what to do to help him anymore.He wont talk about his feelings and he wont let anyone in to help him.He is failing his grade,he's being disruptive in class and the teacher has tried with him but now she has ask that he be removed from her class.He has an I dont care attitude about everything from his meds.,school,family and he wont make any friends because he dosnt want them to know he has cf and a G'tube.He pushes everyone away.It's getting worse and I'm scared for him.My husband has tried everything he could think of and nothing has worked.I have made an appointment to see his doctor to find out about going to counciling.I really dont know what else to do.If anyone has a suggestion please I am willing to try anything.Thank you.

B

B

CONGRATULATIONS...Sounds like you have a typical teenager! The only problem is that he has CF and his attiute henders his health. The counsling sounds like a good choice. I know when I was that age i was very rebeous against treatments and everything. I think I only did ten treatment from the time I was 13 to 19. However I was in good health to start with. I also rebelled about taking pills and I still do not tell many people about my CF or other problems. (Regardless of what my mother thinks it is none of their business) Since my health was not a real issue in school, only teacher who were close to my family knew (I come from a small town). When I was in elementry school and had problems, my teachers and princpal and superentedent knew. So i do not see that as a problem. I know I wish i Knew then what I knew now. About the only thing I would change is taking better care of my self. I probably whould have still had the same rebeolus dont care attitude about everything else.Good Luck!

anonymous

Being a teenager is hard enough and at 15 you are already unsure of yourself and subconscience of everything, but being a teen with CF is even harder. I personally think it is harder for a boy, but thats my opinion. It is very hard to tell people about CF because the fear of being treated different or being rejected. I was a teen not that long ago myself and I remember I was scared to tewll my mom my problems too. What I find really helped is when my mom would call me over and it would be just the two of us and we would be in private so that I wouldn't feel like anyone else was listening. She would then tell me that she wanted to talk to me about how I was doing. I would usually just talk about the gossip around school otr a movie I saw and we would chat like that. She then would ask me about my disease. She would ask me how I felt about it. I was always resistant because it is hard to just start taliing about it. She wouldn't pry, but would say stuff like whats the worst/best thing about CF. She would say sometimes I am scared when you don't do your treatments and I just want you to take care of yourself because I want you to outlive me...it took a long time for me to open up and nopt roll my eyes and pretend like I didn't care. Eventually I would start coming to her and talking to her. I would cry about problems and she would talk them throgh with me. It may be different because I am a girl and we seem to be a little more open, but your son may surprsie you. To this day I find it much easier when my mother is the one to bring it. If you can't get your son to open up don't feel bad!!! Being a teen you are sooo confused and a psychologist may be the best way to go. As I get older I find I turn to my parents much more than when I was a teen! You get out of that "i am cool and have everything figured out and don't need my parents, but in reality i am scared and lost stage" eventually even though it seems to last forever.

B

B

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Anonymous</b></i>As I get older I find I turn to my parents much more than when I was a teen! You get out of that "i am cool and have everything figured out and don't need my parents, but in reality i am scared and lost stage" eventually even though it seems to last forever.<hr></blockquote>I always .like to tell people it is amazing how much my parents learned when I went to college........THink about it!