Port infections--probiotics may cause

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Had quarterly CF appointment a week ago and after reviewing DS's meds which included Culturelle, the dietitian asked if DS had a port. I said no and she explained at the recent CF conference they discussed CFers getting port infections from adding probiotic powder into the port (if I understood correctly). So if you or your little one has a port and uses probiotics you might want to discuss with clinic. fwiw

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I have never heard of this. Is is possible for you to request the literature sited? I don't understand how one could put Culturelle in a port.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I think putting it in the drink that gets put in the port...we open and put in DS drink that he then drinks so I'm thinking that some of the residual or even just opening it by the port. I'll see if I can find out more.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hmm. My daughter swallows her pills(takes 4 VSL#3) at a time. No port though. Wouldn't think it a problem if it's pill form?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
oh, I'm so sorry...I was totally confusion...it is the powder and opening that causes the problem....she said if he had a port then they'd just have him swallow the pill...yeah, right good luck with that! But no, it isn't an issue with the pill but opening them I guess.

T

ToriMom

Did the dietician mean "g-tube" ? My understanding of a port is that it's a sterile access port for meds, saline or heparin via injection. My daughter has a g-tube ......and I can see putting Culturelle in that. I am curious about what dietitician meant.

Michelle

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I thought she said port...I'll follow up...I wonder if just opening it causes the problem. I didn't really follow up because ds doesn't have either...

lilro

Reading this caused great confusion. Apparently the terms for medical implants are not universal. When I read "port", I picture a port-a-cath, which is for INJECTIONS, not food/nutrition supplements. I would imagine putting anything not designed for injection inside a port would have nasty results. As for putting probiotics inside a feeding tube, I have not heard of negative effects, however I've always taken them by mouth so I can't comment on personal experience.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My understanding is that it s NOT put in a port...it is the capsule opened by a port for purposes of mixing in a drink that is then either drank or put in a feeding tube. I know my earlier explanation was off...so sorry.