Port thoughts?

jshet

Hi everyone. My son had a port placed this past april and did not go well. His lung was punctured twice, he developed a phneomothorax, and ended up needing a chest tube and a week in the hospital. Until January there were no issues. It had worked perfectly. After his infusions in january, we noticed swelling around his port after he was deaccessed. After tests, we were told the port is working fine, and the swelling is blood (he had a bleeding disorder), and it will eventually reabsorb.. Still a little swollen now, but definetly going away.
it was acessed and used for blood draws a month ago, worked fine. Yesterday the home nurse came to flush it, and it would not give a blood return. It did flush easily, but could not get a blood return. She said if it happens again, they can put a medication through thst should clear it up.
anyone else have this happen? Were they able to get it working. I don't want to even think about this thing needing replaced. It is not a simple surgery for my son like most people, but he has to have it.
Hoping someone had experienced the same thing, and can share.
thank you, jshet

nmw0615

I did not have as many problems as your son when my port was placed, however, I do share the flushable, but no blood return. When I'm accessed, I have to keep something going through the line all the time, or there will be no blood return. I have about a 20-30 minute window where I can be free of liquids without having this problem. They can always flush the line, and IVs will go through it, but blood draws are rare through it. There's a med called Cath-Flo which is an enzyme that chews away at blood clots in the line. It's not a blood thinner, though. It's worked wonders for me. We have to do it often, but it works. I have had to have my port replaced, but it was for a different issue. Cath-Flo has been a gift.

jshet

Thank you nmw0615. I am so hoping next time it works fine. Being able for them to get blood drawn from the port is a must for him. He has special needs, and holding him down to have blood drawn or an iv placed is just terrifying to him.

So with yours, if i am understanding right, iv's work fine, but blood draws don't always happen? Is the reasn thry are not getting a blood return because there is a small clot? I will keep this in mind next time. If they cannot get blood, i guess i will call the surgeon.
Thank you again

nmw0615

You are correct. I can always flush it, and IVs go through, but it's almost impossible to get a blood return without the frequent use of Cath-Flo. I was told my blood clots in almost a one-way valve fashion. Its like a one-way door. As long as I'm trying to push fluid through the line, it works. But trying to draw against the clot makes the clot close and nothing can be drawn back. As soon as I stop trying to pull blood out, it will still flush.

I wouldn't say you have to call the surgeon if this happens again. In both my ports, the first one and then the one they replaced it with, I still have the same problem. I think it would be a better idea to ask for a constant prescription for Cath-Flo. When I'm accessed, I have two doses of Cath-Flo in my refrigerator at all times, so I can take care of the draw-back issue myself.

jshet

Just spoke to the on call surgeron. I am going to take him next week for them to administer the clot busting med to see if that works. If not, he will be scheduled for a new port. Hoping they can do it on wednesday since he will be at the hospitalnfor other reasons. Thank you again for the great info.

jaimers

Super Moderator
My port has clotted off a couple times and was successfully opened back up with the clot busting med. it's a simple process--access port, put in med, let it sit for an hour or so (can't remember the exact amount of time) and then they draw the med out and test the catheter to make sure it's functioning properly again. Hopefully this works for your son! I've had my port for just over 7 years and this has happened twice to me in that time.

jshet

Thank you Jaimers. I am thinking the clot busting meds will do the trick. I am wondering though, and didn't think to ask the surgeon, if there is any concern that he has a bleeding disorder, and has experienced a very severe bleed requiring transfusions, amd a bunch of smaller ones. I will ask monday, and i am sure they will speak to his hemotologist before doing anything. My kid seems to be the one that what never happens or rarely happens is the one it happens to. Thanks again.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I thought I remembered he has quite a few other things going on besides CF. Hopefully this can actually be a minor issue for him! Let us know how it goes.

jshet

Thank you. He has a lot going on besides cf, and i am thinking this will be a minor issue also. I will let you know how it goes. Take care.

jshet

Hi Jaimers! My son got good news today. The port study showed that his port is working properly. they had to play with it to get the blood draw, but after moving his arm all around, they got it. They feel t is ok for now, but if it keeps being unreliable for blood draws, they will need to change it.
thank you forr input and kind words. I very much appreciate them. Take care, jshet