Ports

Wheezie

My port is in my chest. When it is not accessed, I have no problems using the vest. I was supplied with a little foam cutout thing to put over the port, but I never use it. When my port is accessed, depending on the angle of the needle (which varies based on the preferences of whoever is accessing it), I either undo the left shoulder Velcro OR the top buckle of my vest. This allows me to pull the vest down away from the port area so the needle isn't bothered at all by the shaking. I learned this trick after one bad experience using that useless foam cutout - the vest actually shook the needle loose and right out! My advice is to just experiment and find what's most comfortable for you - but ultimately, yes, the vest CAN be used even with a chest port. Also, I've never had any bleeding at the port site from using my vest and this sounds very odd to me. Ports don't typically bleed, as I understand it.

Wheezie

My port is in my chest. When it is not accessed, I have no problems using the vest. I was supplied with a little foam cutout thing to put over the port, but I never use it. When my port is accessed, depending on the angle of the needle (which varies based on the preferences of whoever is accessing it), I either undo the left shoulder Velcro OR the top buckle of my vest. This allows me to pull the vest down away from the port area so the needle isn't bothered at all by the shaking. I learned this trick after one bad experience using that useless foam cutout - the vest actually shook the needle loose and right out! My advice is to just experiment and find what's most comfortable for you - but ultimately, yes, the vest CAN be used even with a chest port. Also, I've never had any bleeding at the port site from using my vest and this sounds very odd to me. Ports don't typically bleed, as I understand it.

Wheezie

Wheezie

Wheezie

fourkidsmom

My son's port is in his upper left hand chest, he had his first one from 2 months of age till he was 4 yrs old, he is on his second one now having it for 2 yrs. The port is great.....

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

My son's port is in his upper left hand chest, he had his first one from 2 months of age till he was 4 yrs old, he is on his second one now having it for 2 yrs. The port is great.....

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

Trizzanne74

The port lasts a certain amount of sticks from what I heard, so if your in the hospital alot yours may not last years upon years... I heard 5 years is the average. I have had mine for 3 and I love it. No problems with the vest. I am so glad I got a port even though it took me a while to finally decide and get one. I am proud of it now.

I haven't heard too many positive things about the arm port. It moves around more and can be harder to access. Not all medical facilities may accept the arm as well. The chest is a very durable and safe spot for a port. I feel like I would hurt myself more if I had one in my arm.

Trizzanne74

The port lasts a certain amount of sticks from what I heard, so if your in the hospital alot yours may not last years upon years... I heard 5 years is the average. I have had mine for 3 and I love it. No problems with the vest. I am so glad I got a port even though it took me a while to finally decide and get one. I am proud of it now.

I haven't heard too many positive things about the arm port. It moves around more and can be harder to access. Not all medical facilities may accept the arm as well. The chest is a very durable and safe spot for a port. I feel like I would hurt myself more if I had one in my arm.

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74