Ports

Uli

I have my port in my upper left arm since over one year. The surgery was ok, just a little uncomfortable with the arm stretched out and lasted about 1,5 hour.
There was no pain afterwards and we waited some days till the first access.
Since then it is accessed nearly all the time (needle change once a week) for IV.
As I can´t reach it with both hands somebody else has to access it, but thats ok.
When showering I pull a plastic bag over it and fix it with tape.
As I do a lot of massages, lying on my breast/belly I think that would be quite uncomfortable with an accessed port in the breast...maybe similar to your vest-using.

Uli,45, Germany

Uli

I have my port in my upper left arm since over one year. The surgery was ok, just a little uncomfortable with the arm stretched out and lasted about 1,5 hour.
Since then it is accessed nearly all the time (needle change once a week) for IV.
As I can´t reach it with both hands somebody else has to access it, but thats ok.
As I do a lot of massages, lying on my breast/belly I think that would be quite uncomfortable with an accessed port in the breast...maybe similar to your vest-using.

Uli,45, Germany

Uli

Uli,45, Germany

Uli

Uli,45, Germany

Uli

Uli,45, Germany

F

fr3ak

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>anonymous</b></i>

I heard that my hopital puts them in the arm of cf patients. Anyone else had this done. Do you'll think this is good?

For those who have it in the chest, does the vest bother it? I see it bothered at least one person</end quote></div>

I've had my arm port for 8 years now and it is still going strong...

previous to my current port I had the regular chest one.

Main bad points of the arm ports are:

You lose an arm for taking blood which makes it hard when your veins are crap

Extremely difficult to self access although can be done is someone holds the port for you

When carrying heavy or awkward items you can catch the port which does hurt!

I'd say mine is stitched in very well, because I haven't dislodged it YET, but I am sure it has been close on a number of occasions.

Here arm ports can be put in under a local as apposed to a GA (which is required for the chest ports)

if I think of more +ve's i will post em

F

fr3ak

I heard that my hopital puts them in the arm of cf patients. Anyone else had this done. Do you'll think this is good?

For those who have it in the chest, does the vest bother it? I see it bothered at least one person</end quote></div>

Extremely difficult to self access although can be done is someone holds the port for you

I'd say mine is stitched in very well, because I haven't dislodged it YET, but I am sure it has been close on a number of occasions.

Here arm ports can be put in under a local as apposed to a GA (which is required for the chest ports)

F

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

For those who have it in the chest, does the vest bother it? I see it bothered at least one person</end quote>

F

fr3ak

For those who have it in the chest, does the vest bother it? I see it bothered at least one person</end quote>

Emily65Roses

I didn't have my chest port put in under regular general anesthesia. I was on IV loopy drugs. I don't remember a damn thing, but I know I wasn't on regular like surgical general anesthesia.

Emily65Roses

I didn't have my chest port put in under regular general anesthesia. I was on IV loopy drugs. I don't remember a damn thing, but I know I wasn't on regular like surgical general anesthesia.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

F

fr3ak

My hospitals strange, where the chest ports HAVE to be put in under a GA and the arm ones are generally put in under the local, unless I suppose you request that they put it in under the GA....

I think it's because when you have the chest one you go under the GA and you're nekkid and when you have the arm port you have a local and you got ya clothes on.... Bunch a bloody pervs if ya ask me anything LOL

F

fr3ak

My hospitals strange, where the chest ports HAVE to be put in under a GA and the arm ones are generally put in under the local, unless I suppose you request that they put it in under the GA....

I think it's because when you have the chest one you go under the GA and you're nekkid and when you have the arm port you have a local and you got ya clothes on.... Bunch a bloody pervs if ya ask me anything LOL

F

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

F

fr3ak