Post Transplant and Drinking Alcohol

Joblazer86

I'm curious to see how many people drink alcohol after transplant. Do you drink once in a blue moon, once every month, etc. I know each hospital has different suggestions on this topic, but I have noticed that it seems drinking in moderation every once in awhile is acceptable. I rarely drink and since the new set of lungs it has only happened twice. Those two times I only had a few beers.

Just wanted to see how everyone feels about the subject and if they do or don't.

musclemania70

I was drinking about once a week after tx but about 14 mos after tx, i started having a bad reaction. Flushing, itching, face redness, and blood pressure changes after a few sips. I stopped drinking totally. Not worth risks to me. If i didnt have the bad reactions, id probably still have a drink every other week. Dr says its always best not to drink but 2 drinks a month would be ok.

B

BreathinSteven

I drink, on average, the equivalent of 2 beers every few weeks and rarely much more than that... I have not had any adverse effects that I'm aware of - I am 14+ years post transplant (and 2+ years post kidney transplant) and have probably been keeping a similar protocol since a few months post lung transplant... I believe that my hospital now leans towards no drinking - in the more distant past, moderation seemed more acceptable, but they seem to have swung towards no drinking. Though, like musclemania - the message I seem to get from my clinic is that they'd rather not, but now and then in small amounts is OK...

Love, STeve

MikeInMT

In the 13 months since transplant I have had two beers total. I drank way to much when I was 18-25ish. Am out of that phase, but now and then one sounds good and shouldn't hurt

Joblazer86

Thanks for the personal info everyone. Sorry for the late response but I dont get on here to often. I too did more them my fair share when I was in my teens and early 20's so Ive been there and done that. Just curious what everyone else does. I mean we were given a new set to live, right?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Friend of mine, post transplant 10+ years doesn't drink. He used to have a beer once a year, but has switched to NA. Think it's mainly the potential drying affects of alcohol and he struggles with CFRD.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I love wine, I have one glass a few times a month. As long as you're not drinking hard alcohol I think it's fine. Live a little.

C

Cale Gilley

well its good to know ill be able to have one or so I've pretty much quit drinking because a transplant is in my future about to get testing done and taken care of. step #1