Postpone Transplant with Exercise?

Has anyone been listed for transplant and then got off the list by exercising? Please share with me your story. I've lived a pretty sedentary life the last few years, but now that I have oxygen, I want to try exercising.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hello again Jeana,

Once again, no personal experience here. ;) Just wanted to mention that I have heard of others going through pulmonary rehab programs at their hospitals and having good results. I think it can help delay the need for transplant, and also helps keeps you stronger going into to transplant. I bet you could ask your hospital if you qualify for pulmonary rehab.

Exercise is the main area where I need a swift kick in the pants... I am basically 100% compliant with all my treatments, but for some reason cannot force myself to exercise regularly. :/ My doctor really got on me about it at my last appointment and told me I should "think long and hard" about getting regular exercise.

Hopefully you get some responses from folks who have positive experiences/ideas about exercise!

Take care,

Autumn

MissAlexsBP

Hi Autumn!

One of our Facebook members writes: "I was told in 2011 that I needed a transplant. I was on 4L of 02, my sat. was usually around 86% and my FEV1 ranged from a low 28% to a high of 35%. My resting heart rate was often as high as 150 bpm. I was in the hospital constantly, doing 21 to 40 day stretches. I was miserable and on way to many pain meds.

I am currently 41 years old. I am not on a transplant list. I have been off since 2012. I have been off 02 and pain meds. since 2012. My 02 sat. Is usually around 94%. My FEV1 is currently 40%.
I owe a great deal of this improvement to my doctors/nurses and excellent clinic. But too be honest, I owe most of it to my girlfriend of 10 years and myself. I decided to change. I started exercising and stopped anything that was holding me back. I started a small business/hobby on Etsy and made sure to stay busy.
I stay out of the hospital these days. I had a pulmonary embolism and that made going unavoidable. I also had a Bronchial artery embolism for Hemoptysis in 2015 which required hospitalization. But short of absolute necessity, I do everything at home.

My point is is that you have to be strong. People will help and hold your hand in times of need but you alone are responsible for exercise and good life style choices. Rock on."