Powerlifting

LKBamberg

It's better than bodybuilding. I'm doing starting strength. I've gained 15 lbs in 3 months. I've had a history of fitness my whole life. I'm now 6', 160 lbs.

ALl indications is that this progress will continue. And my lung function has stabalized for the last year as well.

Seriously. Powerlifting. Do it.

peter

If you get to heavy weights and you haven't been coached, the Canadian Olympic Weight lifting team (maybe in the 70's) many herniated discs and critical weight lifting errors. Do not know stats of CF (DD508) with lumbar pathologies, but if significant power lifting, could be worth a thought. Perhaps I will see if there are lumbar HNP stats for CF.

Copina1/2

Not one to reply but saw this and could not resist. I was diagnosed with CF at age 2 and have always been very active: gymnastics, horse back riding, cheerleading, martial arts and powerlifting. I started Powerlifting in 1991 at Western Illinois University where I also met my now husband for 20 years. From the very first day I walked into the Salvation Army (where our team lifted) the coaches Judy and Roger Gedney stated that I could be ready to compete at State. I competed in State and won! That was all it took and I was hooked! I went on to compete at the State, National, Collegiate, Police and Fire and even Worlds winning each one. I also established records in three weight classes 111, 116 and 122 lb. I also received Best Lifter in several competitions beating out some of the heavy weights.

I tell you this because Powerlifting according to my doctors saved my life due to all the muscle mass. I had a double lung transplant in 2004 and immediately following I ran into some complications and got down to 62 lbs. During the 2 in a 1/2 years I waited for the transplant I did my best to maintain my physical well being even while on oxygen I went to the gym. My suggestion to you if you can is to incorporate weight training, Powerlifting or Weightlifting (all three are different) into your daily workout. Powerlifting consists of three lifts: squat, bench and deadlift. Weightlifting involves the snatch and clean and jerk (also performed at the Olympics), did this as well. If you are not familiar with these lifts seek a professional coach or trainer (CSCS certified or equivalent). These lifts will help you gain muscle mass but again...if you don't know how to perform the lifts correctly they could do more harm than good.

I was fortunate to have coaches that were known in the world of Powerlifting. I also have a husband who went on to not only get his CSCS*D, CPT*D, Certified Weightlift Coach but also his doctors degree in the field of Exercise Science and who has written several books, published articles and journals for NSCS.

I am by no way trying to brag. Growing up I was told time and time again I could not do something because I have CF. I am here to tell you if you want something in life there should be nothing stopping you including CF, Asthma, Transplant and Cancer (all of which I have). Wishing you the very best!

Twistofchaos

Yep.

The one thing that's been saving my life over the last decade when rigorous cardio training turned out to be mostly ineffective for me and my lungs were going down the drain.

Nice side effect is going from having a pair of bones as legs, to achieving legs that are normal looking, to having bigger and stronger legs than 95% of people on the street and actually having grown a butt.

B

bookworm

Just a note about the thumbs-up icon on Copina's (Laura's) message. I attempted to place a thumbs-up and unfortunately it showed up as two thumbs down. I would like to change that, and tried to send a message to the site, but I received an error message from the contact form.

Lovely to hear your experience Laura and thank you for the encouragement :).

enniob

Administrator
Staff member
Just a note about the thumbs-up icon on Copina's (Laura's) message. I attempted to place a thumbs-up and unfortunately it showed up as two thumbs down. I would like to change that, and tried to send a message to the site, but I received an error message from the contact form.

Lovely to hear your experience Laura and thank you for the encouragement :).

Hi bookworm, I did get your form submission feedback in my inbox and will take a look at this thumbs issue. Thank you for pointing it out to me!
- Chris

kyeev

Yep.

The one thing that's been saving my life over the last decade when rigorous cardio training turned out to be mostly ineffective for me and my lungs were going down the drain.

Nice side effect is going from having a pair of bones as legs, to achieving legs that are normal looking, to having bigger and stronger legs than 95% of people on the street and actually having grown a butt.

Yeah, must of us have these weedy arms which are actually the result of not doing any heavy lifting or performing any regular manual labour whatsoever (rather than being the fault of CF - like I thought).
I went to the gym and after 3 months of free weights working on chest, arms and back (and not really knowing what I was doing) I have normal looking arms.
And even after stopping the weights, my arms still look normal size.
Shame I only started the weights at 28.
And I wouldn't mind but my Doctor told me when I was 16 you should definitly do some weights.
Course I didn't.