Pre-term Labor and CF

J

jrotier

Hello,

I had some questions for the CF moms out there who may have experienced this. I am 24 weeks and had an OB appt today. I mentioned that I had been having some cramping, and honestly, I really didn't think to mention it as I have been cramping the whole pregnancy and have been told up to this point that it is normal.

She checked my cervical length, and it was 24mm. I guess the normal for this gestational age is 35-40 weeks. I've been told to drink plenty of water, "take it easy" and follow up in a week to check again. From what I can find, anything under 25 at this stage is a higher risk for pre-term labor. I haven't had any bleeding or true contractions (that I'm aware of at least). They are also doing the fetal fibronectin test to see if I'm releasing any of the proteins that precede labor.

Have any other CF moms experienced this? Is it common with CF? An how does all our coughing affect things? I have a fairly strenuous job and am on my feet for 90% of my day. Not to mention, adding in 3 treatments though out the day. Does the added pressure of our coughing make a difference? I plan on talking to my OB next week, but wanted to get some perspective from other moms too.

Thanks in advance!
Jackie, 31 w/cf

K

ksy8384

I had preterm labor with both of my pregnancies although my first one was carrying twins. I started having contractions at 21 weeks and went on full bed rest. I eventually delivered at 31 weeks. With my second I still had some preterm labor but not as bad. No bed rest. She was delivered at 36 weeks due to her size. I also had a circlage placed with both pregnancies. Just do what the Dr tells you and try not to think about the worst. My "babies" are 15 and 17 now.

T

Tombliboo

I have CF and a little boy but I didn't personally experience pre-term labor. However I know a LOT of CF mothers who have and it is more common for CF women to have pre-term babies (although it's usually only a bit early). I'd be happy to connect you to them if you want me to. You can message me here: https://www.facebook.com/emma.harris.16
Good luck and I really hope little one stays put for a good while yet! x

A

alegris

I'm currently 28 weeks with my first child. I had heard before that women with CF typically go into pre-term labour more frequently than other women. I asked my doctor about this and he said in his experience women with CF give birth on average around week 36. He is a high risk OB so he sees all of the CF women in the area.
I also wonder about any effect our coughing has on pregnancy/labour!

mamaScarlett

I did not have preterm with either of my kids, however as a preventative plan my team had me on a 100 g per day protein diet. Called the brewers diet. Perhaps some of that, hydration and adequate rest, plus keeping those airways nice and open, I hope you are able to get through the rest of your preg!

Beccamom

I had preterm labor with both of my babies. They are now 11 and 14. My first was born very quickly and un expectantly at 32 weeks. My contractions began at 19 weeks 2 days and I went on bedrest. She was born at 35 weeks 2 days. I would switch to a high risk OB and request a circulage. Best wishes

Hello,

I had some questions for the CF moms out there who may have experienced this. I am 24 weeks and had an OB appt today. I mentioned that I had been having some cramping, and honestly, I really didn't think to mention it as I have been cramping the whole pregnancy and have been told up to this point that it is normal.

She checked my cervical length, and it was 24mm. I guess the normal for this gestational age is 35-40 weeks. I've been told to drink plenty of water, "take it easy" and follow up in a week to check again. From what I can find, anything under 25 at this stage is a higher risk for pre-term labor. I haven't had any bleeding or true contractions (that I'm aware of at least). They are also doing the fetal fibronectin test to see if I'm releasing any of the proteins that precede labor.

Have any other CF moms experienced this? Is it common with CF? An how does all our coughing affect things? I have a fairly strenuous job and am on my feet for 90% of my day. Not to mention, adding in 3 treatments though out the day. Does the added pressure of our coughing make a difference? I plan on talking to my OB next week, but wanted to get some perspective from other moms too.

Thanks in advance!
Jackie, 31 w/cf

bloggymom

I started to have pre-term labor at 28 weeks. Was on bedrest most of pregnancy. They gave all those wonderful pre-term labor drugs and by the time it was time to deliver, my son was too big for me to deliver him...C-section. My petite CF body versus a healthy full term baby... not a good match.

My son could sleep through my cough. As a baby he would wake up to most every sound (light sleeper) but when I coughed... he slept through it. He says he locates me in a store by listening for my cough. He is 12 years old now.

J

jrotier

Thank you for everyone's responses. Just wanted to post a quick update. I was eventually put on progesterone suppositories around 28 weeks and on "modified" bed rest. I never went into full blown labor, thankfully. At 34 weeks I released off bed rest, stopped the progesterone at 36 weeks as I had started dilating. I ended up having to be induced with Pitocin at 37w5d for my health. I was having prodromal labor and it was getting to be too much. She was 5lbs 9oz, but was an awkward presentation (posterior and brow) so any bigger and I would have needed a c-section.

She's 2 months now and perfect!

bloggymom... It's funny how they get so accustomed to our cf stuff... She sometimes startles with my cough, but loves the noise of my vest/news....sleeps right through it.