prednisone

B

BreathinSteven

I'm almost 14 years out - I'm on 5mg per day... I think that, initially, prednisone was the primary drug that caused/aggravated my post-transplant diabetes, though the Prograf certainly added to the problem. Back when I was transplanted - they didn't jump all over our blood-glucose swings as quickly as they do now - they tended to watch them longer... Now, they better understand the problems that high blood-glucose causes...

About 10 weeks post transplant - I was diagnosed diabetic. At that time, they ramped my prednisone down from 10mg to 5mg - possibly a few months before they would have done so, and because of the diabetes situation...

I've stayed on 5mg ever since - we bounced it up a bit, for 3-4-5 weeks, after I had my kidney transplant, 12 years post lung transplant... And I'm back to 5mg again. Love, Steve

athletixbc

I'll be 11 months post next week. I'm on 10mg OD. My transplant team told me that the normal maintenance dose is 0.15mg/kg of bodyweight. As I'm 77kg, the 10mg dose is already below the normal maintenance dose and I'm doing fine with it.