Pregancy and Serious GI Issuses

T

TerriC

I am the mom of a very beautiful 26 year old with CF. All of her life she has had really good lung function so that is not an issue however in the past 7 or 8 years she has experienced severe GI issues. I know that she wants to have a baby at some point so my question for any of you out there who may have some of these same issues is were you able to get pregnant and how did the pregnancy go - was there any severe issues while pregnant???

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Terri!

I'm afraid I won't be the type of help you are looking for, but wanted to chime in, just in case it helped at all. ;) And hopefully others who can better answer your question will see this too.

I would venture to say the biggest issue would probably be with weight gain and being able to support herself and the baby. I have very few GI issues, so was surprised when I had a hard time gaining the weight I needed to during my pregnancy. I had to do supplements (which I never had before) and basically try to eat round the clock. Thankfully I was a healthy weight going into the pregnancy or it could have been an even bigger problem. After my daughter was born things only got worse and I lost about 35 pounds from where I was pre-pregnancy. I was about 160 when I got pregnant, and hit my lowest weight of 125 pounds about 6 months to a year after she was born. I think it was a combo of breastfeeding, and not enough eating or sleeping for me. :( Took a lot of work, but I've gotten it up to 145, so that's good. Is your daughter able to maintain a healthy weight?

Has she talked to her CF doc at all? It would be good to hear what his opinion would be about pregnancy and her severe GI issues. When I first talked to my CF doc about becoming pregnant he also sent me to a high-risk OB/GYN for a consult. He went over my history/meds etc., and told me his thoughts on how safe a pregnancy would be for me, and what meds I would need to change etc. I would suggest she start with her CF doc, and go from there (if she hasn't already).

Well I better run, but I hope you get some helpful answers. Let me know if you have any more questions I could answer!

Take Care,

Autumn 33/CF