Prevacid Dosage

scrapper1264

Does anyone know why a person with CF has to take twice the amount of the recommended dosage of prevacid? My 8 yo just started taking it 2x/day. I noticed on the box that 1 is supposed to last 24 hrs. Is it because people with CF have more acid than the average person? I have this question on my list for my son's next CF visit, but was curious to see what people had to say here.

Thanks!

scrapper1264

Does anyone know why a person with CF has to take twice the amount of the recommended dosage of prevacid? My 8 yo just started taking it 2x/day. I noticed on the box that 1 is supposed to last 24 hrs. Is it because people with CF have more acid than the average person? I have this question on my list for my son's next CF visit, but was curious to see what people had to say here.

Thanks!

scrapper1264

<br />
<br />Thanks!

hmw

I'm no medical expert but from what I have learned about reflux and CF... it may also be because the reasons our kids need it can be a bit different than the general population. People w/ CF often need PPI's to help their enzymes work better in addition to issues with reflux. Also, there are the problems caused by the pancreas to take into consideration: because the pancreas cannot secrete bicarb, this alters the ph. Those that have reflux with no cf don't have compromised pancreatic function adding to the problem.

hmw

I'm no medical expert but from what I have learned about reflux and CF... it may also be because the reasons our kids need it can be a bit different than the general population. People w/ CF often need PPI's to help their enzymes work better in addition to issues with reflux. Also, there are the problems caused by the pancreas to take into consideration: because the pancreas cannot secrete bicarb, this alters the ph. Those that have reflux with no cf don't have compromised pancreatic function adding to the problem.

hmw

PatrickM

There was some question about whether my 13 year old was having reflux issues. He was already on 15 mg prevacid 1x per day. We eventually went to 30 mg 2x day. Shortly thereafter prevacid was available over the counter and the MD told me to give him 2 "24 hour" prevacid 2x a day. I was really concerned about that, it seemed like so much, but both his GI MD and his CF MD said it is the same dosage as before the companies just write 24 hour. I don't really get it but I wouldn't get hung up on the 24 hour thing. As an aside my sister, non cf ,was having some reflux issues and her MD told her to take 2 24 hour prevacid per day. I think the one tab is probably fine for the general public with occasional reflux, but if you actually have reflux, or need it to help your enzymes work more efficiently, you need more. It is confusing.

PatrickM

There was some question about whether my 13 year old was having reflux issues. He was already on 15 mg prevacid 1x per day. We eventually went to 30 mg 2x day. Shortly thereafter prevacid was available over the counter and the MD told me to give him 2 "24 hour" prevacid 2x a day. I was really concerned about that, it seemed like so much, but both his GI MD and his CF MD said it is the same dosage as before the companies just write 24 hour. I don't really get it but I wouldn't get hung up on the 24 hour thing. As an aside my sister, non cf ,was having some reflux issues and her MD told her to take 2 24 hour prevacid per day. I think the one tab is probably fine for the general public with occasional reflux, but if you actually have reflux, or need it to help your enzymes work more efficiently, you need more. It is confusing.

PatrickM