Prevent mistakes and misdiagnoses

Havoc

Everybody is fallible, including doctors. I've had docs miss stuff that I have caught, or other docs have caught. I've also had docs suggest things that weren't in my best interest.<br><br>We have to remember that as far as medical science has come, it's not called a "practice" for nothing. I suppose driving might be a good analogy. Most of us are good drivers, but we sometimes make bad judgements.<br><br>To that end; please, please, please educate yourself as much as possible. Ask questions ad nauseum. Do research on your own about your disease, medications and treatment regimens. The more you know, the more likely you are to catch a potential mistake or come up with a better plan. <br><br>Don't make the excuse that you can't remember all that information, because I know you can sit in your car and remember all the lyrics of the last 30 years of hit songs on the radio, or remember your favorite athlete's stats from their rookie year on, or all the lines from your favorite movie.<br><br>This applies to all aspects of life. I think that the entire world has fallen into a complacency where we don't think for ourselves. We rely on newscasters and doctors and pastors and governments to tell us what to do and think. We tend to associate with people who think the same way as us and never get exposure from people who think differently. A very dangerous place to put yourself in my opinion, given how often we see how wrong people can be.<br>

Havoc

Everybody is fallible, including doctors. I've had docs miss stuff that I have caught, or other docs have caught. I've also had docs suggest things that weren't in my best interest.<br><br>We have to remember that as far as medical science has come, it's not called a "practice" for nothing. I suppose driving might be a good analogy. Most of us are good drivers, but we sometimes make bad judgements.<br><br>To that end; please, please, please educate yourself as much as possible. Ask questions ad nauseum. Do research on your own about your disease, medications and treatment regimens. The more you know, the more likely you are to catch a potential mistake or come up with a better plan. <br><br>Don't make the excuse that you can't remember all that information, because I know you can sit in your car and remember all the lyrics of the last 30 years of hit songs on the radio, or remember your favorite athlete's stats from their rookie year on, or all the lines from your favorite movie.<br><br>This applies to all aspects of life. I think that the entire world has fallen into a complacency where we don't think for ourselves. We rely on newscasters and doctors and pastors and governments to tell us what to do and think. We tend to associate with people who think the same way as us and never get exposure from people who think differently. A very dangerous place to put yourself in my opinion, given how often we see how wrong people can be.<br>

Havoc

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Don't make the excuse that you can't remember all that information, because I know you can sit in your car and remember all the lyrics of the last 30 years of hit songs on the radio, or remember your favorite athlete's stats from their rookie year on, or all the lines from your favorite movie. .</end quote>

<br>I agree! Even if you feel like it's overwhelming then, taking notes during/after appointments and writing questions BEFORE appointments is very helpful and saves time. (they don't need to be extremely long. Just a sentence or two to help you remember the main point or goal)<br>I believe it's You help me (patients giving doctor info. symptoms etc.), I help you (doctor analyze's, researches, treats symptoms etc.) sort of thing. I think it's pretty important to want to help yourself before you expect anyone else to help you. Self confidence and faith is a big issue in my opinion. I know, that may be especially hard for teenagers with CF. I understand that it's a doctor's JOB to help you but again, working together as a team makes it far easier to receive the best care that's available for you. Communication is the KEY. Speak up. If you have questions then, ASK! If you have suggestions then, TELL! Health care providers don't walk in our shoes. We know our bodies better than anyone else. It gets very frustrating sometimes but the healthcare routines we use today will be beneficial information in the future. (what works, what doesn't work)

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Don't make the excuse that you can't remember all that information, because I know you can sit in your car and remember all the lyrics of the last 30 years of hit songs on the radio, or remember your favorite athlete's stats from their rookie year on, or all the lines from your favorite movie. .</end quote>

<br>I agree! Even if you feel like it's overwhelming then, taking notes during/after appointments and writing questions BEFORE appointments is very helpful and saves time. (they don't need to be extremely long. Just a sentence or two to help you remember the main point or goal)<br>I believe it's You help me (patients giving doctor info. symptoms etc.), I help you (doctor analyze's, researches, treats symptoms etc.) sort of thing. I think it's pretty important to want to help yourself before you expect anyone else to help you. Self confidence and faith is a big issue in my opinion. I know, that may be especially hard for teenagers with CF. I understand that it's a doctor's JOB to help you but again, working together as a team makes it far easier to receive the best care that's available for you. Communication is the KEY. Speak up. If you have questions then, ASK! If you have suggestions then, TELL! Health care providers don't walk in our shoes. We know our bodies better than anyone else. It gets very frustrating sometimes but the healthcare routines we use today will be beneficial information in the future. (what works, what doesn't work)

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator