Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Erradicated

zumiestar

I was wondering if anyone on this board has ever known or heard of anyone diagnosed with CF getting Pseudomonas Aeruginosa and then completely eradicating it through antibiotic treatment (verified by a specimen via bronchoscopy)? Thank you.

imported_Momto2

This is a little bit different than what you were asking, but still relevant I think.

I cultured PA when I was a child many, many times. Had countless rounds of oral and IV antibiotics. Did not get rid of it. Went in for experimental 6 week hyperalimentation treatment when I was 9. Gained about 40% of my bodyweight, grew tremendously. Health massively improved. Did not culture PA again.

Fast forward THIRTY years. Health declining, finally culturing PA again. I did not have a bronchoscopy to prove that the PA were gone, but I went 30 years w/o culturing it.

carolinen

I cultured PA spring last year.
(I don't have cf but I do have bad bronchiectasis and m abscessus)
I had 2 weeks iv meropenem and 3 months neb colistin.
Sputum neg for PA since. Haven't had a bronch specimen, but several assisted specs with physio and bird ventilator.

This is a little bit different than what you were asking, but still relevant I think.

I cultured PA when I was a child many, many times. Had countless rounds of oral and IV antibiotics. Did not get rid of it. Went in for experimental 6 week hyperalimentation treatment when I was 9. Gained about 40% of my bodyweight, grew tremendously. Health massively improved. Did not culture PA again.

Fast forward THIRTY years. Health declining, finally culturing PA again. I did not have a bronchoscopy to prove that the PA were gone, but I went 30 years w/o culturing it.

JustaCFmom

It is called the "Eradication Protocol" and is done routinely in Europe. The US was behind on this, but I think it is done more now. [Push Control F on your keyboard and search for "eradication" on this web site: http://www.cfmedicine.com/history/ ] My son had PA when he got diagnosed 4 years ago & hasn't had it since. My daughter did IV's this past summer & seems all clear so far.

So, the answer is YES! :)

jthomp

No bronchoscopy, but our son cultured it one time last spring, had one round of TOBI, and hasn't cultured it since.

Mistyme

I am a middle aged adult and have CRMS but I'm going through the eradication process at a good CF center so thought I'd respond. I cultured pseudomonas for the first time this year and 2 attempts using inhaled tobi and oral cipro failed. I opted for more aggressive treatment and it took 3 weeks of IV tobramycin and aztreonam for me to stop producing infected looking mucus and then get my first clear culture. Now I am on one month on- one month off cayston until spring and so far seem to be doing well though I have no idea if I am cleared of pseudo. If all cultures remain clear by spring I will be taken off antibiotic treatment and considered eradicated. If that happens and pseudomonas returns again later on we will do eradication protocol again.

K

Kwplus Jared

No bronch, but clear cultures for years now. Inhaled antis didn't work; did IVs, still positive culture. Increased chest physio, airway clearance and made lifestyle and environmental changes and that did the trick.

Mistyme

pseudomonas eradication

No bronch, but clear cultures for years now. Inhaled antis didn't work; did IVs, still positive culture. Increased chest physio, airway clearance and made lifestyle and environmental changes and that did the trick.

May I ask what changes you made that you feel helped you the most?

K

Kwplus Jared

Although we initiated all of this around the same time, I would have to say the chest physio/airway clearance; he does ALOT of rounds of huffing, coughing up, etc. No tap water, fountains - showers only, LOTS of hand hygiene, etc.

G

GoryLori

I tried many options, from Colistin one month on. one month off, alternating with inhaled Tobi, then switched to Cayston, then tried Double Strength Bactrim and IV antibiotics and always we culture before and 3 months later. My last sputum was for 2 distinct strains of Pseudomonas and now 3 months later, my newest culture shows FIVE strains of Pseudomonas, one is uniquely mucoid and very new for me. What is happening??? I am spinning off new strains of Pseudomonas, NOT eradicating any!!
So for me, the treatment haev FAILED and I have GAINED new CF cooties, not lost any.

Mistyme

pseudomonas eradication

No tap water, fountains

What type/sources of water then? I normally keep a filtering dispenser in my fridge that I refill once or twice a day with tap water. I never drink from public water fountains but I do drink tap water at restaurants.