Pseudomonas treatment

Havoc

Ohh, thank you Tom I completely overlooked the TID dose. Rx guideline can be 500-750mg, q12 for 7-14 days.

bigstar

Well i have to add my 2 cents here. This summer i had a flare up too but i wanted to go on vacations instead of IVs so my doc prescribed 500mg of Cipro 3 times a day plus Tobi. And im relatively small too, 50 kilos only (not sure how much on lbs). I have to say that it helped me a lot. I felt really better, my appetite was back for a while, I even gained a little weight. But more important I didnt need IVs for another 3 months and that a great thing for me cause I always try to push IVs for later. I suffered some sore muscles but never mind! I think you should stick to that. Aggressive treatments help you avoid culturing pseudo in the future. As much as possible of course. It would hurt calling your doctor and ask a few thing!

bigstar

Well i have to add my 2 cents here. This summer i had a flare up too but i wanted to go on vacations instead of IVs so my doc prescribed 500mg of Cipro 3 times a day plus Tobi. And im relatively small too, 50 kilos only (not sure how much on lbs). I have to say that it helped me a lot. I felt really better, my appetite was back for a while, I even gained a little weight. But more important I didnt need IVs for another 3 months and that a great thing for me cause I always try to push IVs for later. I suffered some sore muscles but never mind! I think you should stick to that. Aggressive treatments help you avoid culturing pseudo in the future. As much as possible of course. It would hurt calling your doctor and ask a few thing!

bigstar

Melissa75

Administrator
My pulmonologist put me on 500 mg 2x a day for 10 days and no Tobi. The short duration/single abx makes me nervous in the other direction from what's worrying you. Is it too little? Or is it appropriate because I don't have CF/CF mucus and haven't been on abx in about a year? I donno, it still makes me nervous since I do have the pockets of bad lung tissue to nurture the bug. From the reading I did on here, 14+ days of Cipro and 4 wks of Tobi seems the intro pseudo treatment for CFers. From the reading I did on a bronchiectasis forum, treatments were totally varied.

Melissa75

Administrator
My pulmonologist put me on 500 mg 2x a day for 10 days and no Tobi. The short duration/single abx makes me nervous in the other direction from what's worrying you. Is it too little? Or is it appropriate because I don't have CF/CF mucus and haven't been on abx in about a year? I donno, it still makes me nervous since I do have the pockets of bad lung tissue to nurture the bug. From the reading I did on here, 14+ days of Cipro and 4 wks of Tobi seems the intro pseudo treatment for CFers. From the reading I did on a bronchiectasis forum, treatments were totally varied.

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

InhalingHope

Pseudomonas is something you really want to keep under control. I used to try to be on the cautious side, but live and learn. I would often start on a low dose only to realize I didn't get quite get back to baseline. Over time I started to see a slow decline. I finally decided to get very aggressive with my treatment and have had a significant increase in lung function since making that decision. When I have a Pseudomonas flare up I do 750mg Cipro PLUS Bactrim and I am small as well. It is ultimately your decision how you want to treat your disease and if you are concerned talk to your doctor, but what you were prescribed sounds relatively "typical" as far as my treatment go.

Oh also, I have been using Cipro for years to treat infections and have never had any problems with tendinitis or pain. It is a possible side effect, but that does not mean you will experience it.

InhalingHope

Pseudomonas is something you really want to keep under control. I used to try to be on the cautious side, but live and learn. I would often start on a low dose only to realize I didn't get quite get back to baseline. Over time I started to see a slow decline. I finally decided to get very aggressive with my treatment and have had a significant increase in lung function since making that decision. When I have a Pseudomonas flare up I do 750mg Cipro PLUS Bactrim and I am small as well. It is ultimately your decision how you want to treat your disease and if you are concerned talk to your doctor, but what you were prescribed sounds relatively "typical" as far as my treatment go.

Oh also, I have been using Cipro for years to treat infections and have never had any problems with tendinitis or pain. It is a possible side effect, but that does not mean you will experience it.

InhalingHope

Jeanette40

Hi, I cultured PA in 2001 and took 9 months to eradicate it, so a couple of years ago when I grew it again, I was really really keen to get rid of it again so I took everything they threw at me. I got oral cipro 750mg for 4 weeks, nebulized colomycin twice daily for 3 months plus IV tobramycin and azithromycin for 2 weeks! This is in the UK but would guess PA protocol not hugely different in that you should be aggressive for PA first timers because on e it's established then it's virtually impossible to eradicate so prevention of colonization is the way to go. Anyway, I am really glad i took all that because I haven't had it back since and my lung function has remained about 80% so far. Sorry to be a scare munger and take care xx

Jeanette40

Hi, I cultured PA in 2001 and took 9 months to eradicate it, so a couple of years ago when I grew it again, I was really really keen to get rid of it again so I took everything they threw at me. I got oral cipro 750mg for 4 weeks, nebulized colomycin twice daily for 3 months plus IV tobramycin and azithromycin for 2 weeks! This is in the UK but would guess PA protocol not hugely different in that you should be aggressive for PA first timers because on e it's established then it's virtually impossible to eradicate so prevention of colonization is the way to go. Anyway, I am really glad i took all that because I haven't had it back since and my lung function has remained about 80% so far. Sorry to be a scare munger and take care xx

Jeanette40

Kristen

I have cultured PA for the "first time" twice - the actual first time my doctor put me on tobi for three months straight, and Cipro for a long time, although now I can't remember the dose or for how long it was - I know it was at least a month and I got C. diff - I would definitely recommend taking a good probiotic while on Cipro!

After several years of culturing PA, it stopped showing up in my cultures. That lasted for about 3 years. I started culturing it again in April, this time with a different doctor. It showed up as an exacerbation - my FEV1 was down 20% - so my doctor put me on two weeks of IV Tobra and Ceftaz. After that, I started doing Cayston every other month. I had two PA free cultures, but it showed up again in my last one. I felt fine, but my doctor still put me on two weeks of Cipro. I believe it was 500mg twice a day.

Kristen

I have cultured PA for the "first time" twice - the actual first time my doctor put me on tobi for three months straight, and Cipro for a long time, although now I can't remember the dose or for how long it was - I know it was at least a month and I got C. diff - I would definitely recommend taking a good probiotic while on Cipro!

After several years of culturing PA, it stopped showing up in my cultures. That lasted for about 3 years. I started culturing it again in April, this time with a different doctor. It showed up as an exacerbation - my FEV1 was down 20% - so my doctor put me on two weeks of IV Tobra and Ceftaz. After that, I started doing Cayston every other month. I had two PA free cultures, but it showed up again in my last one. I felt fine, but my doctor still put me on two weeks of Cipro. I believe it was 500mg twice a day.

Kristen

D

Deb

Couldn't begin to tell you the first time I cultured pseudomonas. But you need to attack it with everything you can and try to eradicate it now. I have been taking 750 mg of Cipro off and on for year and have also take TOBI every other month for years. Even so I never totally get rid of PA, just knock it down. I am now becoming resistant to Cipro and can no longer use TOBI due to hearing loss. Better to try to eliminate now than to let it take hold and be with you forever. Which is what I believe eventually happens to all of us.
I now have to accept that I grow PA and we only treat it when I have an exacerbation.