puberty with cf

enzo

so my docs said puberty is slower with cf. why is that? also, im 17 and my voice still isnt deep. will it ever get deep? :(

Do you see a certified cf center? Ask to speak with a endocrinologist that specializes in cf. they can help you judge how things are going.

I have never heared that we go through puberty slower. I am 17 and I have gone through it just fine. Im a girl though I dont know if its different or not..

Delayed in males for sure. My guess is for similar reasons it's delayed in gymnasts -- extra stress on the body. My voice didn't change until 18. Starting at age 14 my CF doc would peek under my arms and down my pants to see if I'd started growing hair yet. HATED that!! I wish I had the balls to say DUDE, I'll let you know when I hit puberty -- was absolutely humiliating and quite honestly violating. You'll get there, buddy.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Starting at age 14 my CF doc would peek under my arms and down my pants to see if I'd started growing hair yet. HATED that!! I wish I had the balls to say DUDE, I'll let you know when I hit puberty -- was absolutely humiliating and quite honestly violating. You'll get there, buddy.

I know the feeling! Although, I'm a woman & it wasn't my CF doc, it was the endocrine doctor. But still embarrassing!

CajunPenguin

I'm 14 got all the hair, fair muscles, deep voice and really nice skin (listen to me I'm bragging) you would NEVER guess I have CF except for the rattle in my pocket. It's nothing to do with CF as far as I know, you're just naturally late. I'm not sure if you'll like that or not.

damnitdana

I would just give it some time. Everyone's body is different and everyone in general, CF or not, goes through things at different paces. I am a young adult woman with CF and I didnt have any issues but my cousin who is also the same age as me but is a male, took a little longer. I think medications and the way our body reacts to things plays a factor in the whole situation.

LeftY

i think that this depends from person to person... i got deep voice at 15 and after that everything else came from time to time.
you shouldnt be worried much about that, but i understand you

nocode

Yes, one of the symptoms of CF is "difficulty to thrive". Hang in there though. Some guys only 'make the jump' later when they hit about 20 or so, CF or not.

robert321

delayed puberty is a known effect of cf. I couldn't tell you why though.
I'm 22 and both my younger brothers have a full beard and on me I grow a pretty good goatee and might be able to pull off long sideburns but most everything else just isn't there. It varies from person to person. Talk to the dr about it and see what he has to offer

LittleFlav

You may be naturally late. It maybe a little embarrassing but if you can ask your parents if they were early or late. I'm 16 and I was a little late, around 15, but you'll catch up. If you have any siblings ask them to. That's a little less embarrassing

Beccamom

As for late puberty it was explained to me that it was due to decreased body fat. That is the same reasons why gymnasts are late. So if you get your body fat percent up that should help.

You may be naturally late. It maybe a little embarrassing but if you can ask your parents if they were early or late. I'm 16 and I was a little late, around 15, but you'll catch up. If you have any siblings ask them to. That's a little less embarrassing